Seven West Media

People have so quickly jumped from Seven buying Mediaworks in NZ to Comcast buying Seven.

2 Likes

When was it called National News?

1 Like

From the early 1970’s up until 1988.

Example 1

2 Likes

I do like the idea for NBC and Seven to be sister networks.
If it eventuates.

1 Like

NBC’s Peacock stremaing service could launch in Australia in partnership with NBC and 7

Where have you heard that?

It hasn’t been mentioned outside this thread. The assumption that NBC would buy out SWM just because CBS was owed money from 10 and could invest rather cheaply in a terrestrial network, ala Viacom and Channel 5, is devoid of reality

3 Likes

Add to that Stan has the streaming rights to NBCUniversal content. Very unlikely that Comcast will want to buy seven. CBS bought ten in very different circumstances. They were owed hundreds of millions and picked up 10 for a bargain basement price to wipe the debt.

2 Likes

The WANG?

4 Likes

True but SWM could go that way if they’re not careful

Are we thinking SWM buying Mediaworks TV is off the table now?

I understand but seven aren’t in debt to comcast or nbc so doubt they have a creditor like that to buy them out.
Perhaps news Corp but thT would be disastrous for Australian media.

1 Like

It seems less and less likely. I get the feeling there were more tyre-kickers than prospective buyers… but it is television, so by the end of the episode there’s surely a white-knight ready to come in with the prospect of another season next year… or not. Quo Vadimus?

1 Like

Yes, I think the worst case would be News Corp buying SWM.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t overly surprise me if at least the print side of Seven West Media goes to News Corp though, especially with The West Australian essentially presenting itself as if it’s a News Corp paper (for example, they’ve recently been using the same “We’re With You” slogan as News Corp’s titles in the East) these days.

1 Like

When did you decide to stop calling it ATN Newsreel?

4 Likes

Not all, at least in terms of total streaming, because 9Now have lots of NBC-U content (but yes, also owned by Nine).

I never knew it was called that. You must be older than me.

Yes but they’re owned by nine and there’s a difference between BVOD and SVOD.

1 Like