Seven West Media

Only 22 weeks against 1? Quick shut it down now :astonished:

no idont mean shut it down what i mean is that pell cant say any more its australias number 1 breakfast show

He can say it a lot more than his competitors

And his show wins nationally 23 weeks to zero

1 Like

Seven affiliates perform the best regionally if I’m not mistaken, so it’s a reasonable call

3 Likes

The reason Seven West Media are bleeding money is they are skewing old, conservative and backward. As a result of this there is very limited innovation.

Also these breakfast TV EPs are twats.

Hopefully soon enough it and its ilk will disappear from our airwaves for the greater good of society.

5 Likes

Yeah many of Seven’s under-performing shows in metro perform comparatively well in regional.
What comes 2nd or 3rd in its timeslot on Seven in metro or might be considered bad, often comes 1st or is considered good in regional.

(Source: mostly mediaweek morning report and others)

3 Likes

This ties back into my previous comment. It’s generally regions that are older, conservative and backward minded.

3 Likes

I also think it’s like Seven metro in Adelaide and Perth… Market historic loyalty (for whatever reason - old monopoly or local news or talent or local productions like sports or all of the above).

Proven for Seven in nearly every market:

-Queensland: 7QLD
-Southern Nsw and Act: Prime
-Victoria: Prime
-Tasmania: Southern Cross
-Western Australia: Prime

We don’t see measurements for regional SA or NT (so anybody’s guess).

Northern Nsw is the only regional market where Seven doesn’t dominate, though not for lack of effort or trying I’m sure. As it’s still a significant population, big shows have done well there and they produce local news bulletins (in fact Prime said they were now winning news there and it’s station margin isn’t as wide as say Adelaide, Perth, Tasmania or Western Australia?).
I think NRL and NBN’s local news is what lifts Northern Nsw for Nine, historically.

1 Like

Replacing Mel with Sam was seen as a surprising but good decision. (IIRC) up to the week of Mel’s departure Sunrise had won something like 11 weeks of the year and Today 10. Post Mel’s departure, Sunrise won every week for the rest of the year. It was also notable that Sunrise began to dominate in Melbourne for the first time in the second half of 2013. If not for the change, it might have been a 5-city victory for Today, though we’ll never know.

3 Likes

That was a couple of years ago but since then, it’s to my understanding that NBN have caught up to (and perhaps are even beating?) Prime7 on the North Coast to the point that they’ve had to start producing that bulletin live.

In Newcastle & the Hunter though, I’d imagine that just about everyone who watches TV there has NBN/Nine as their first choice - helped of course by the fact that the station has historically been quite lucky when it comes to the NRL (& predecessors) rights: Is there any other television station in Australia which can claim that they’ve always had the rights to show games of the most popular sport in the market which just so happens to include a local team that’s supported almost as if it’s a religion? I don’t think there is.

Potentially unpopular opinion: If Sunrise never replaced Mel with Sam (and presuming that Today still would’ve had their major casting changes over the past couple of years), I actually think Sunrise would’ve become an even more dominant #1 than they are right now.

2 Likes

and is sunrise till dominating in melbourne now???

might be a good time to please continue any discussion specific to Sunrise to its own thread

4 Likes

From an interview with James Warburton in today’s Mediaweek Morning Report…

Warburton reveals Seven Network relaunch timetable

“I’m absolutely salivating around the prospect of relaunching the network in July of next year with the entire nation watching us [during the Tokyo Olympics]. When you talk about wrestling back the momentum, we have to work hard to be in a position to really launch out of the Olympics. Whether you have a view on the Olympics, or the cost, I’ll tell you right now, I’m absolutely delighted. I’m a big believer in sport.”

1 Like

I’ve been very clear about the areas in which we’re going to operate and work hard in. My point today was, we’ve got a lot of very powerful assets, and we’ve got specific areas that I was completely transparent about in relation to what we’re going to do to improve. The base is there, very clearly there’s some areas of challenge.

I was completely transparent with the market in terms of where we are. That Sunday to Tuesday 7.30pm has been an issue.

We’ve been outplayed a little bit, but there have been budget cuts because of sport, probably in areas that shouldn’t have been cut.

1 Like

Other key quotes

Programming
Comments at yesterday’s end of FY19 presentation (Pg 7):

We need to revitalise our entertainment programming, creating momentum to engage heartland Australia and enrich the demographic mix, we have some tired formats and we are skewing too old in some areas

…

We will redefine our working practices, becoming more efficient and effective to look for savings which do not impact on ratings.

The Australian Interview:

Mr Warburton said he wanted to get Seven “back to what it does, investing in content”.

“There’s a fresh perspective and set of eyes when we look at the programming slate,”

AFR Interview:

We were the best at creating and executing and launching product and we lost that momentum

Demographics

SVOD

1 Like

Re-establishing relationship with NBCUniversal will be a good start.

With a relaunch coming for the Olympics, maybe Seven News should run a countdown timer at the top of the news…

4 Likes

Bruce McWilliam is not seeking re-election to the board of Seven Group Holdings so he can concentrate on his role at Seven West Media.

Seven West did not declared a dividend this year and they didn’t last year, meanwhile parent company Seven Group has declared a dividend of $0.21. Kerry Stokes is still making money despite the woes at Seven West.

1 Like

Wow.

2 Likes

Okay, I know this forum likes to dance around Rob like
northern Europeans around a maypole, but this really isn’t a story. Do you really think a PR rep is going to give out info?

1 Like