Seven Regional

Bruce Gordon should pay Australian taxes on his Australian companies regardless of where his house is located.

3 Likes

and this is the reason why regional tv is dying. if they both truely cared for regional tv then they would alllow the merger to go head and bruce should go one better and allow win to merge to 10 . but they wont they say they care about regional tv they dont . regional tv in advertising terms is dying and it will the merger of metro tv to help it pick back up

2 Likes

@TonyCTC because Australians are choosing to spend all their time on multinational platforms like Facebook google and Netflix

1 Like

Yeah but we could restrict them or force them keep a lot more of their Australian revenue within Australia

Correct - remember the “save our voices” campaign that died away? It was not about “saving voices”

Nine launched a dozen new bulletins and seven does about 7 alone in Queensland. While acĂĄ, win and prime axe axe

4 Likes

@TonyCTC you’re dreaming.

1 Like

Very peeve off about this, they would have been working together from the start to block the merger. Let’s hope Ian Audsley and company do a SC9 like and change the name to 7 regional just to upset Bruce and Antony, I am sure Kerry Stokes wouldn’t mind. Actually I really like the way Nine refer to SC as there regional partner not affiliate, it might be not a full on merger but it still feels as one identity. Which would look good for 7/Prime as well 7metro/7 regional.

3 Likes

To be fair I did say it was a stupid idea.

Its antithesis? Or perhaps its apotheosis?

No because free enterprise can’t really exist when corporations get so big to the point where they can stamp out smaller competitors and influence the government.

When looking at the finance and banking sector we keep them afloat at all costs by manipulating the interest rate and bailing them out with public money when they have too much bad debt. That’s not capitalism.

Catalano thinks he would be able to sell a couple of standalone regional daily newspapers to be able to buy Prime. Who would buy them or take them off his hands for free? They would be a guaranteed way to lose lots of money.

2 Likes

Actually I take my hat off to Bruce as he has done his own hat trick, first he piss off 9 than 10 and now 7. Good luck on your next affiliation agreements.

11 Likes

This is somewhat related, even though it’s not strictly about Prime.

Australian Community Media owner and executive chairman Antony Catalano has accused the federal government of ignoring regional Australian voices and putting jobs at risk after Communications Minister Paul Fletcher appeared to shut the door on changes to ownership laws that would allow regional media companies to form alliances.

So let me get this right

These small poor “regional” media networks, despite serving cities and population bases exceeding 8 million people - bigger than NZ and many small countries in Europe…

First they wanted the national law changed to be able to merge with “metro” companies - now they want the law changed again - just for regional areas and then only this time. - so they can further merge with each other

160 newspaper titles, 8 million people in WINs area 5-6 million in primes area. Why are we feeling so sorry for these “small” media companies

3 Likes

i dont fell sorry thats 4 sure . its all 4 greed and power

2 Likes
6 Likes

So I’m guessing the 7/Prime merger is off the table now. Sad.

5 Likes

What is so sad about it exactly? Viewers wouldn’t have seen a major difference either way.
This is great news for Prime News employees, most of whom would have lost their jobs had Seven indeed planned to model Prime News on Nine’s local news.

3 Likes

I didn’t really care who won the battle for the ownership of Prime Media…but that’s mainly because I live in Sydney (a market which realistically, the main networks are highly unlikely to ever pull out of) and only really get to watch Prime7 around twice a year.

From a local news perspective, I’m not totally convinced that Prime Media would be that much better under non-Seven Network ownership given that we’ve seen them make major cutbacks (including the closure of local studios in favour of moving into more “shopfront” style local facilities) in recent years.

6 Likes

Lineup with 7flix (which is rare):

9 Likes