Seven Regional

If anyone is recording Prime7, I just saw a not so subtle jab at the affiliation swap, saying that their programs are not moving.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s old news. Iā€™ve seen it before. Seems nothing is changing at prime tv for the time being and it applies to GWN as well.

So if 7 was to change to HD on their main channel in capital cities and regional Qld, Iā€™d assume Prime wouldnā€™t because they donā€™t have the capacity ?

Maybe it will kick them into doing something .

I assume the streams of 7ā€™s channels online are not HD ? regionally they donā€™t look it.

Was Prime quick in adding 7 Two ? and 7 Mate ?

Does Prime have any affiliation agreements coming up for expiry soon ?

Hereā€™s the promo

7 Likes

For 7TWO, no it wasnā€™t. Seven launched 7TWO on the first day of November back in 2009, but Prime didnā€™t launch the channel until the 23rd December of the same year. Interestingly enough, the channel was branded as ā€œ7TWO on Primeā€ until Prime rebranded as ā€œPrime7ā€ thirteen months later.

As for 7mate, I believe Prime launched it on the same day as Seven, if iā€™m not mistaken.

3 Likes

I believe youā€™re right there. Prime launched 7mate on the same day as Seven, but Southern Cross viewers had to wait for that channel due to Commonwealth Games coverage in some markets.

1 Like

Does this mean if they do outsource that they can then add HD and 7Flix ?

Hopefully. MediaHub already does playout of 7flix for Seven.

Who knows, but at the very least I personally hope that Prime7 update their PRGs to the current network design(s) if/when they move to MediaHub!

Thatā€™s what youā€™re concerned about? god.

1 Like

Iā€™m more concerned for the 20 people about to get a redundancy notice

5 Likes

I just hope that there is a Prime HD and 7flix.

Of course I certainly donā€™t think itā€™s good how 20 people about to be made redundant due to a possible move to MediaHub playout and I also hope that the change will enable Prime7 to eventually broadcasts 7Flix and Prime7/7mateHD (presuming that they run with the split feeds like we get from Seven in metro areas). I probably shouldā€™ve added that in my original comment!

TV Tonight reports that Prime7 will move broadcast operations from Canberra to MediaHub in Sydney.

Itā€™s understood itā€™s due to the major technology changes required for 7Racing, 7HD/7MateHD, 9Life, Ten HD & 9HD.

Newd studios & production are said to remain in Canberra.

Head office in recent years has already gradually moved from Canberra to Sevenā€™s HQ at Jones Bay Wharf, Sydney anyway.

I would think that this is main reason for the move. The main cost saving would be not having to upgrade their own capacity.

It makes sense, they already outsource distribution of their signal to the transmission sites to Digital Distribution Australia which is owned by WIN and provides the same service for WIN.

I would think that the majority of staff could be offered work at Media Hub as part of this - a large amount of what they do will still need to be done by someone and itā€™s not like playout operators (or whatever their actual title is) are common.

1 Like

Did Prime never broadcast in HD back in the mid 2000ā€™s ?

They did but i heard that it was a dirty feed.

Yes, but that would have been using the same gear that is now playing 7mate and is likely only MPEG-2 compatible.

1 Like

When Prime HD was simulcasting the main channel back years ago, it was a clean feed. It had a watermark in the top right that said ā€œPRIME HDā€, if I recall correctly.

When they first launched, they were broadcasting in 1080i HD when Seven was still only transmitting 576p. After a short period of time, they went down to 576p. Presumably, under pressure from Seven since many areas in Sydney can easily receive Prime from Wollongong.

ishop tv (for Prime7) playout is from Silk Studios in Willoughby (Sydney).