Seven Regional

Well it turns out it’s not dirty. Coming back from break, Prime’s watermark is delayed. Clearly inserted at MediaHub for some reason.

1 Like

It’d be fantastic if the “HD” watermark addition was a sign of things to come from Prime7/GWN7 this year, but realistically it’s probably just a case of them forgetting to remove it.

3 Likes

Prime 7 could go into hd all the have to do is down grade 7mate to sd and then swap it to prime 7 that’s looks like what they have done in the capital city esp by what I seen in Melbourne

Prime tricking viewers not to complain about the lack of HD?

3 Likes

They shouldn’t have to. Should be clean.

HD add-on definitely shouldn’t be there.

Bizarre.

NB/
No idea why Prime aren’t using (for main channel) the specific “Prime7” / “GWN7” Sport watermarks, seeing as they’re available (as of a year or so now).

As @WAtvVideos mentioned, looks like a space issue with the ‘olympic rings’ attachment, which is a shame.

Odd for MediaHub to be inserting the HD watermark, last time I checked they don’t insert it on 7MATE HD (comes through on their feed)

But in saying that for MediaHub to be inserting it means that they have the HD watermark ready to go. So surely Prime and GWN in HD isn’t too far away

3 Likes

I doubt it was MediaHub inserting an HD.

More likely they just took (literally) the 7HD channel from metro.

No idea why they would.

yes i agree it wont be that far away:) im not 2 sure but by what i seen in melbourne prime7hd could have been here already . all 7 hd did is just downgrade 7mate to sd and made 7 in hd ??if what i saw was correct .surely its not that hard for prime7 to do the same thing or am i wrong?

Don’t think it would be that simple - metro broadcasters have it easy in this regard where Seven would only have one feed of each channel per capital city - 5 feeds. Prime and GWN combined would have 20+ feeds to cover. Transmission, equipment etc would all come into play here

I think the Seven HD thread early on discusses alot of the issues faced by SCA and PRIME/GWN in bringing the main channels in HD

1 Like

I’m not so sure about the transmission side of things (whether transmitters would need to be upgraded or anything like that) but on the playout side, I’d imagine that multiple feeds for all the different local advertising/news variants would be needed to make Prime7HD/GWN7HD a thing. And then there’s “HD” watermark additions which for some reason are considered to be a “must have” for the HD channels from our free to air networks.

But from a viewer’s perspective, I’d like to think that something is sorted out by the time of the Commonwealth Games. It’d be pretty bad if regional viewers weren’t able to watch main channel coverage of that major event in HD, especially when you consider that the Gold Coast is in the Prime7 viewing area (yes I know they also get 7HD Brisbane, but…)!

3 Likes

cant find anything about said issues why prime7 and gwn7 bringing hd?in the 7hd thread

but the thing that gets me is that b4 7mate came along and in hd prime was in hd but when 7mate came along they pulled there primehd to mke 7mate hd couldnt they just reverse it?

It’s likely that the space used for the playout of Prime HD pre-2010 was being used for playing out 7mate. Not sure what the situation is like now since playout moved from Canberra to MediaHub.

Extra playout space/capacity might be needed for the playout of Prime7HD/GWN7HD, especially since multiple feeds for advertising/news as it’s already been pointed out.

Prime7/GWN7 playout is already complex operation when some Prime7 stations have local news while others don’t with the NSW/ACT-based stations needing to use Seven Sydney as their main programing feed, the Victoria-based stations needing to use Seven Melbourne as their main programing feed…and so on and so forth.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Southern Cross Tas is managing to now have native HD on their HD channel? Would be kinda pointless for Prime to launch it if Seven aren’t providing a native feed to their affiliates.

Holistically speaking, Seven is a messy operation.

With so many depertments being based in various locations across the country, Prime Media included.

If it took a year to get 7flix to regional NSW/VIC (not even in some regional markets yet), it’ll surely be difficult to quickly roll out 7HD to regional markets, let alone all and in time for Gold Coast Comm Games.

Not Seven’s problem to roll out 7HD in regional markets
With the exception of 7QLD

1 Like

By saying that, you’re essentially saying they have nothing to do with it.

Which isn’t correct.

Prime7 is owned by Prime Media Group. Seven owns a small stake in Prime Media Group but they are two completely separate entities. They are merely affiliation partners and we’ve seen how easily that can change regardless of shareholdings. It is up to Prime Media to decide whether or not it is viable to invest in making channels and services available to regional Australia. xyz223 is completely correct. Seven has nothing to do with Prime deciding not to deliver HD to regional viewers.

Is it up to WIN owner Bruce Gordon to cough up the money to finance the acquisition of cricket broadcasting rights for the Nine Network because he is Nine Entertainment’s largest shareholder?

6 Likes

You’re wrong. The timing of the watermark was different to 7 metro when compared with the 7plus live streams and it was missing the Live & Free bit. Prime very obviously inserts Seven designed watermarks as seen with 7mate during Tennis. The question should be why Prime is doing it. Something may have failed and it defaulted back to the one we saw?

5 Likes

Yes, I agree.

I just didn’t think they’d copy an HD (which looks identical to Seven’s). Makes absolutely no sense. Unless it was a brain snap by somebody?