Seven Regional

Not quite. 7flix in Regional QLD appears to be split into a north v south feed as previously determined.

1 Like

Even these days, Prime7 Central Coast gets more Newcastle ads than local Central Coast ones.
Their ad feed looks similar to Newcastle’s, just that the ads are in a different order.
It’s the same with 7TWO I think.

Even though it’s been determined MediaHub control 7flix’s playout nationally (metro & regional), BCM still have to obviously provide all the programming for them (i.e.) ready to air.

MediaHub aren’t Seven’s programming/scheduling/classification departments!

1 Like

Yes, Seven would have to provide MediaHub with the content to be played out and all the scheduling information - eg, what shows and ads to play when.

1 Like

obviously

2 Likes
7 Likes

No doubt thanks once again to regional VIC, pushing them over the line?

The nearest rival in that market, is behind by the length of the Flemington straight!

1 Like

I came across these photos of the former Prime Television studios at Kembla Grange on the Abandoned Wollongong Facebook page. Such a waste that this investment was made by Prime back in the 1980s and the studios were never fully utilised. The buildings are due to be demolished shortly and the site will become home to yet another Bunnings warehouse.

Aerial video of the site can be seen here:

16 Likes

I remember at the time there was a B&T article stating that Prime were pushing their commercial production facilities at the site, selling it to clients as a cheaper alternative to Sydney production facilities that was only 90 minutes (?) or so drive from Sydney CBD.

Was it ever used for television program production? Did Prime do a local news in Wollongong? I know they had a few stabs at local news in Canberra.

Yes, they did…

From about 1990 until mid 2001, when the Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra bulletins were all unceremoniously dumped at once.

Prime’s bulletins were mostly presented by Kerryn Bancks, now Johnston who is now at WIN,

4 Likes

Kerryn resigned from WIN in February 2016 and now works for the Illawarra Health District.

6 Likes

A Prime 30 minute local bulletin ran in Wollongong from 1989-2001 at 6pm. They tried it in the 5.30pm slot for a brief period. Popular 2WL breakfast personality Steve Parsons was the founding newsreader. He was eventually replace by Kerryn Johnston (nee Bancks). Steve would return and become the sport presenter at some point. Seven’s Ross Symonds also read the bulletin for a brief period. They didn’t make the same investment in the Wollongong bulletin that they did in the Canberra bulletin- no poaching of big names and no attempt at a composite local/national service.

I think there may have been a local sport show produced at the studio. Apart from Infonet and commercials I’m not aware of any other local productions but I’d moved out of the area by the mid '90s and wasn’t paying much attention to the local scene.

Credit: Zamapkid

6 Likes

Must be prime real estate right there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Until around 2001, Prime Wollongong made most of the network’s promos, although the AFL ones were made in Ballarat. I guess they moved promo production to Canberra around the same time the news was cancelled.

3 Likes

In the very early days, PRIME Wollongong even did their own On-Air Presentation playout from this same building from the start of Aggregation in 1989 to around 1991 when the Pres mixer and Betacart were moved up to Canberra one overnight. Up until then, PRIME Canberra only did PRIME Canberra playout. Presentation in Canberra was then later expanded to also generate network feed with branded program and network breaks with network promos and network TVCs and black holes for local spot insertion. This feed was for RVN Pres in Wagga and CBN Pres in Orange who were reduced to running local spots for their respective markets and breaking away for Local News at 6pm. RVN still did some other minor breakaways including a regular 10 minute local AFL segment during half time in the Seven AFL match of the day and CBN would breakaway once a month for a local 30 minute Schools program. CBN had the ability to run breakaway spots and programming into CWN Dubbo, but this was rarely used in the later years from when PRIME bought out MID STATE TV. RVN and CBN Pres was fully moved to PRIME Canberra in 1995.

9 Likes

I think 1990’s brand funded farming show “Cross Country” was taped at Prime Newcastle even though it was pre-produced in Sydney for some reason. Must have been some logistical reason there why instead of Wollongong?

1 Like

I think it was. Prime’s Newcastle studios in Elermore Vale looked very similar to the building in Wollongong.

1 Like

Correct, Cross Country was taped in the Prime Wollongong studio with Neil Inall on Fridays.

1 Like

Yes, same look for PRIME Canberra and PRIME Ballarat. Think they used the same archtect for all 4 PRIME buildings built in the same era. PRIME Gold Coast was in rented premises in both locations when they existed with a studiio on the Gold Coast. The first location even included a local Presentation playout facility before being moved to NEN Tamworth. PRIME Newcastle playout started in Tamworth before moving to Canberra.

1 Like

When Prime expanded into New Zealand its Auckland headquarters were built very much in the same style as these former studios they had built. The building is still used for its intended purpose by Sky TV (who now own Prime TV in NZ) in addition to its main studios and headquarters in Mount Wellington.

Search on google maps: 4 John Glenn Ave, Auckland and look at the site on street view.