Seven Regional

I’m sure the good people of Perth would still be glued onto Channel 7 without a mascot saying good night to their kids at 7.30. As @TelevisionAU said, TVW seems to get away with small things like this due to it being Mr Stokes baby. All other stations have had to adopt to a uniformed look and feel.

1 Like

I remember when seven announced the acquisition of prime, when they said that the cost savings won’t be fully realised until 12-18 months after the acquisition.
Considering that outsourcing play out to a third party involves a contract, and that prime moved play out to TBS in December last year, my prediction is that seven will move playoff to NPC this December.
What do you all think?

No doubt they’ll eventually want playout consolidated to NPC.

But we can only speculate when this will happen. Your suggestion of December seems fair. But like you, no one here has seen the original TBS Media Cloud contract with Prime so it’s all guess work at this stage.

1 Like

Everything is old at Seven Perth. Mascots, telethon, immortal news reader duos, green screens.

5 Likes

Apparently Doopa Dog was originally on Channel 9 Perth before moving to GWN in the late 80’s.

We don’t talk about Doopa’s foster parents.

4 Likes

Back when GWN was predominantly a Nine affiliate with Seven and Ten programs thrown in. When Seven first attempted to buy GWN in 1996, it was called off by the ACCC due to GWN’s 15 year programming deal with the Nine Network.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to be in a world of its own. Not saying its a bad thing, its just amazing how the station has escaped the streamlining approach that all stations and networks have followed over the decades, especially in 2022.

4 Likes

I think you’re just beginning to see the reason for “West” in “Seven West Media” and how it’s just a different beast here. It’s more involved in the community than any other station which, as a result, comes with North Korean-like viewer loyalty. While you could say it’s something to be proud of, it has its cringe too. The Seven back-patting in The West Australian makes you vomit a little.

12 Likes

Warburton’s extravagance far exceed’s Garry Youngberry’s penchant for gold chains.

Seven Melbourne (HSV7) was very much like Seven Perth in comparison, but over the past decade the station has (greatly) pulled back on local branding and productions. Staff cuts haven’t helped either.

I feel this will eventually be on the cards for Seven Perth (TVW7) when new ownership takes the rains in years to come. Sad days.

3 Likes

Video:

1 Like

I also saw this today at Lansell Plaza in Bendigo (sorry for double post)

4 Likes

Perth is a big city, not enough space for him to run around outside

We sent him off to live on a farm in regional WA

7 Likes

As noted, Prime likely has signed agreements with TBS for a set period of years etc and it’s fair enough to just stay with them for a while

In the future, NPC is seven’s playout centre (they jointly own it with Nine etc.), and already does playout for 7 Queensland and also the SCA 7 stations. It makes sense to consolidate this

(but who knows when?)

3 Likes

clearly not going by this conversation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If it wasn’t for Perth being so loyal to Seven they would have lost to Nine nationally many times over the years. The rest of the country flips depending on what direction the wind is blowing but, as I said before, Perth people hate change. All TVs are tuned to TVW all the time :wink:

TVW being first combined with Sir James’ vision early on is the reason for that. The community involvement was much bigger back then but it still persists today. Why upset the very people who have kept the network in a dominant position all this time? 15-30 seconds for a cat to say goodnight every night is a small price to pay.

It is disappointing that Doopa Dog didn’t survive this change though. I really thought they would leave that alone.

Does this mean Fat Cat is the last TV mascot in the country? Banished from the other states in the 90s but managed to outlive the rest of them? That is something. Nice job Perth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two others, Bakana Bilby and Big Dog.

3 Likes

Who??

6 Likes