Seven News Presenters and Reporters

So her answering peoples questions on if they can go visit aged care or go see elderly are insulting?
Rather than her posting videos of her in “glam” like most other people in media do 20 times a day.

I find that baffling lol

3 Likes

it’s not personal mate. You clearly like her and what she had to say. I didn’t. It’s not that baffling.

2 Likes

Jacqui Felgate’s position immediately popped into my mind when Bec Maddern was announced to be returning, so not totally surprised. And agree her and Bec look like two that wouldnt get along that well.

Tonight’s more of a shock, in that, as mentioned, she’s been so prominent on-air in their AFL coverage, including last night on-location inside the MCG studio at pre-game, half time and post-game with a fantastic bond with Luke Darcy, etc.

Tonight really does smell off, like sudden, wants to get out of the newsroom at least. Wonder if a boss called her today, maybe after drawn out contract negotiations and said (more or less) “Bec Maddern is where it’s at, sorry”. And like we’ve seen so often before and recently “okay, see ya”. Probably not, but something just doesn’t seem right at all here. I’m sure the tabloids will let us know over coming days.

I know it’s not personal. I just fail to understand what I have illustrated above, is in poor taste or makes her a “cold person”.

Call it curiosity.

1 Like

Not everyone is a fan of everyone. Simple as that.

Sounds like sour grapes. That you Bec?! :joy:

But in seriousness don’t have to like someone to realise good natured acts. Maybe you’re more of a cynic than I am.
Though I and a lot of people found her actions helpful.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

And end scene. Moving on.

1 Like

Didnt @TV.Cynic publish Seven AFL publicity images for 2022 some weeks ago, Jacqui Felgate was front and centre in them! That alone suggests she was definitely in Seven’s mind still for 2022, operative word being was. So something must’ve happened, even in recent days or the past 24 hours, at least a catalyst. More likely her own volition. Could be very wrong, but trying to think realistic here.

3 Likes

Was Bec still at 7 when they launched the local 4pm news and gave Jacqueline the gig?

Yep. The local afternoon news launched in 2015 I think and Bec moved to Nine in 2016.

Her social media is so much more than ‘covid comments’. You clearly haven’t followed her account too closely if that’s what you think it’s all about.

Jaq used to cop a heap of criticism on mediaspy for her presentation style. I never agreed… but regardless of that she now commands a huge local following. I have 60 followers in common with her, which is 10% of the total people I follow… and most of those people are Melbourne-based friends in their 30s.

It’s a small sample I know, but suffice to say people in their 30s are not seven’s typical target market. That is an advantage 7 failed to appreciate and Jaq is an asset they did not take advantage of.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Mr Felgate on the other hand is very good at the desk and should be in a desk position at 7. He and Bec are two that should never have left from the get go.

4 Likes

Most likely her contract was up for renewal. Seven haven’t come to the table and she’s chosen to walk. Seven would have liked to have kept her but weren’t providing her with the opportunity and $$$ that she believed she was worth. Simple as that.

Good on here. I wish her all the best.

This is actually a very similar situation to what happened to Bec in 2016.

2 Likes

100% agree. He would be a perfect fit on the weekend bulletin.

2 Likes

Never in a million years. Nice online and on camera, off, completely different person

Surprising news.

God I hope not.

If she wanted to further her career at Seven and couldn’t because Bec was there or whatever, then she sure as heck wouldn’t be able to do so at Nine especially when they have Alicia, Dougal and even Clint who are the next in line at Nine. She’d have better chances at 10 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Just reading between the lines it sounds like she has been offered some opportunities outside being a journalist. That’s the way I interpret it anyway.

Around that time, 2015, Bec was being underutilised I feel. Nick Etchells and Nick McCallum were filling-in for Jen Keyte and even Peter Mitchell, she was doing less at Sunrise and The Morning Show, less national bulletins and almost limited to sport events such as the Aus Open and Melbourne Cup, the odd news report and occasional fill-in. She did appear more on Sunrise towards the end of 2015 and start of 2016 (when they re-launched and she was there the day of the re-launch, even though not having an actual role that day) and left just weeks after.

Sort of the opposite now, Bec’s got a plum position and Jacqui left with little.