Seven News Content and Appearance

Yeah they have always been really sloppy with all of the sets and desks in Martin Place. It’s a shame considering how much they all cost.

3 Likes

Seven and Nine broke into programming this morning around 11:10 am in Queensland morning

6 Likes

Queensland News - Max Futcher anchoring from Kangaroo Point tonight

6 Likes

National Late Update from Perth

6 Likes

Weather abruptly cut off in Sydney tonight - didn’t show forecast or 7 days ahead. Not sure if I can hit the beach or not!

1 Like

Ran out of time?

1 Like

Internet?

There’s always the other 3 Networks. Or the trusty BOM app. :wink:

1 Like

Seven News in Melbourne went 2min overtime tonight, starting at 6:01pm, EPG schedule had 5:59pm. Following Carlton’s thrilling win over Greater Western Sydney.

It’s fairly rare AFL matches starting at 3:20pm go overtime, but it does happen. They do sometimes go to 5:55pm or right to 5:59pm, but more often they’re done by 5:45 or 5:50pm with an ad break, quick wrap and ‘best of the round’ monage.

There must’ve been a lot of stoppages/goals/time on today.

2 Likes

Scandalous!

1 Like

*started

1 Like

I only saw the new package the other day - it’s been a while since I’ve payed attention to commercial TV news. Anyway.
I can’t say how much I hate this package.

• The text sizes are too big - feels like it’s been designed for viewing on mobile phone screens.
  • The presenters are lost in the graphics on set. Everything is too bright. Pure white and hot red are too vibrant for use on set, it would be SO HARD to light (hence why the set in Brisbane looks so off, it’s being thrown off by the pure white/red references).
  • I don’t mind the right alignment in theory, but there’s something really off about it. I can’t put my finger on the specific issue, but it’s just not right on the right.
  • What the hell is with the transition of the logo between “7 NEWS” and “7 NEWS.com.au”? Just leave it as one or the other, or have the address up as default and the address-less one to come on with supers.
  • Stop the obsession with “NEWS” printed everywhere! It’s in the frickin’ logo! You don’t need to have it in the bulletin’s name and scrolling on the screens and faded in the background.

I could go on.

I feel like this is a result of “over design” - too many elements have been introduced that it just becomes noisy and cluttered. If you can’t focus on the presenters or the actual content because the graphics take over, then the designers haven’t done their job right.

I feel like this is a chronic issue thought-out the broadcast industry though, mainly because the stations have let all their experienced designers go - so they’re repeating mistakes that have been experienced in the past.

8 Likes

I don’t think there’s any need to be nasty, it didn’t take me 10sec to type all that, thought it may be interesting to some from a MS perspective :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like Seven can’t do right either way :wink:

Jokes aside. The new graphics are good in that it’s definitely far better than the last few packages but I feel like now that I’ve seen it everywhere, it’s a bit rough around the edges. The ‘Breaking News’ banner on the top of the supers is just badly designed (it needs to be on the top left hand corner of the supers. The colour combination on the fonts also look a bit off (needs to be fully black rather than grey). The base of the designs are good (and other networks have used right-aligned supers before, including Nine) but the attention to detail could be better.

Still far better than anything they’ve done since 2011.

1 Like
2 Likes

With the election set being used, is this the new seven news sydney, sunrise, morning show set? Once they leave Martin place?

You’d hope not. Looks horribly bland.

Let’s hope they’ve spent years cutting corners in everything so they can splurge on some real high tech and versatile sets that will blow their opposition out of the water. Wishful thinking I know.

4 Likes

I suspect it might be the beginnings of the new set - but there will be a lot more to add.

5 Likes

Hope so!

So far im impressed, will still need more added to it of course, but that massive video wall is definitely a plus, im liking it so far

1 Like

A glimpse at 7 News’ new ‘mic flags’, as seen in the Prime/GWN News thread.

5 Likes