Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

Update:
Sunday 30 January

Network
06:00 PM Seven News
07:00 PM Border Security: Australia’s Front Line S15 E12
07:30 PM Criminal Investigation Australia Season 4 Premiere
08:50 PM Movie: The Greatest Showman 92017)
11:00 PM Criminal Confessions Chris Watts: Confession Untold

Tuesday 1 February
09:00 PM Adele One Night Only Rpt

Edit:
09:30 PM Adele One Night Only Rpt

1 Like

So not actually “One Night Only” then?

2 Likes

Actually, this is the third time it had been aired.

The start of a new ratings period and Seven have nothing better to air?

I think Seven will wait after the Beijing Winter Olympics finish on February 20 before launching a full primetime schedule, which includes new programs at 8.30pm/9pm.

4 Likes

They have new programs? :rofl:

Seven has the first season of Around the World in 80 Days starring David Tennant. It also has new seasons of 9-1-1: Lone Star, The Rookie and The Resident to choose from.

1 Like

Sydney Weekender farewells Mike Whitney

Matt Shirvington joins as new host

The Seven Network today announced that Mike Whitney will present his final episode of the iconic travel show Sydney Weekender on Sunday, 30 January, after 27 adventure-filled years.

After making the decision to retire, Mike will pass hosting duties on to Olympian and 7NEWS sports presenter, Matt Shirvington, who will join Mike during the episode.

On his time hosting the program, Mike said: “Twenty-seven years! To do anything for that long is a very long time. I had the best hosting job in Australia. I got to travel everywhere in NSW, meet the most amazing people, and do the most amazing things. People pay to do the stuff that I got paid to do. I’m very grateful that I got the opportunity to work on this show.”

Mike, who first appeared on Sydney Weekender in 1994 after retiring from international cricket, added: “People ask me if I’m going to miss it. Sure, I am going to miss it. It feels a bit surreal. But I had an incredible cricket career as well and I had to retire from that. And who gets to retire twice from two wonderful careers?”

Olympic sprinter and seasoned broadcaster Matt Shirvington boasts more than 10 years’ experience presenting and reporting from some of the world’s biggest sporting events, including multiple Olympic and Commonwealth Games. He represented Australia at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, as well as the 1998 and 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Matt said: “Taking over from a TV legend like Mike Whitney, who’s graced our Sunday afternoons showing us around our beautiful state for more than two decades, is a huge responsibility. Mike leaves some very big shoes to fill. I feel honoured and excited to be given the chance.”

Travelling from the city across the length and breadth of NSW, each episode of Sydney Weekender reveals the best places to stay, eat and play to help travellers make the most of their weekend.

Sydney Weekender
Sundays 5.30pm on Channel 7 and 7plus

Update:

Sunday 30 January
Sydney
05:30 PM Sydney Weekender

3 Likes

Mike Whitney is a big loss to the program, but Sydney Weekender will be in capable hands with Matt Shirvington at the helm.

Can’t help but wonder if he actually retired, or was pushed out, to give Seven’s golden boy Shirvo something else to do?

3 Likes

Trying to start another false rumour?

1 Like

Sad to see Mike Whitney leave the show and network. Since covid, the shpw featured less of Mike Whitney and he hasnt closed the show in person. Sometimes just a voiceover over the closing credits. Matt Shirvinton is a good choice as host.

I do hope there’s a farewell montage of Whitney this Sunday (which includes his role on Gladiators Australia back in the mid 1990s too). I doubt it, but worth a mention. Lol.

Showtrial

Coming Soon

New drama from the producers of Bodyguard and Vigil. Showtrial tells the story of a murder trial that grips the nation, placing victim and accused – as well as their families – at the heart of a media storm. Talitha Campbell, the estranged daughter of a wealthy property developer, is charged with conspiring to murder fellow student Hannah Ellis. High Street criminal solicitor Cleo Roberts is on duty the night Talitha is arrested.

With Talitha’s backing, against her father’s wishes, Cleo becomes the unlikely leader of her defence team against a prosecution determined to weaponise Talitha’s sexuality and privilege against her. From first arrest to jury verdict, defence and prosecution fight for their version of the real Talitha: Damaged scapegoat? Or cold-blooded killer?

Exploring how identity, prejudice and the media distort the legal process, this timely drama full of dark humour and compelling characters will cast the audience as jury, and leave them fully invested in the outcome: is she guilty, or not?

As seen 31 Oct 2021 BBC, 5 episodes - promo:

1 Like

Didn’t Sydney Weekender get cancelled at the end of 2019? How is it still going?

Not that I want it to go or anything. I still think it’s a good show - will miss Whitney though and his over the top voiceovers! :joy:

All the Weekender editions were axed and then they started showing repeats (or compilation shows) but then a few of the editions were quietly reinstated. There was never an official announcement of them returning with new episodes.

1 Like

I thought the episodes of Sydney Weekender that have gone to air in the past couple of years had contained repackaged reports from pre 2019 with some updated information. Similar to what Nine has done with Getaway. I can’t imagine Seven would’ve been sending reporters to tourist destinations around NSW in the last couple of years.

Saw Mike Whitney interviewed about cricket some time last year and his appearance was very different to the well groomed Mike seen in the past on Weekender.

2 Likes

Mike may have other things to persue or just kick back and retire. Thats his prerogative.

They were cancelled as part of James Warburton’s first round of cost cutting but there was a major backlash internally and from sponsors, so they were revived, no doubt with a leaner budget.

1 Like

I don’t see movies that get repeated inside 24 hours very often but Channel 7 put Scooby-Doo 2 on 7Flix at 6:30pm last night… It’s on 7Flix right now albeit it started at 4:30pm.

Some programming contracts allow for a 2nd screening inside a 24 hour period for no additional fee. Same thing has been happening for The Simpsons since 7 got the rights.

2 Likes

They ran a story about it on Seven News tonight, after the sport, that included footage from Who Dares Wins and Gladiators. Just posted it in the Seven News Content thread.

3 Likes

Sweet. Thanks for that.

1 Like