Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

I thought the 7 Upfronts mapped out what would be on at 7:30 all of next year?

2 Likes

Indeed. What I meant was sorting out shows that would be watchable and potentially high rating in the 2nd half. I’m unconvinced that Plate of Origin and Pre-recorded Big Brother will work better than the number of shows Seven tried over the years. You can bet if neither show rates Seven will just yank them off the schedule and replace them with fillers.

I’d prefer them to go back to doing drama and get some familiar audience back by airing classic dramas for some nostalgia and use that as a base to launch new shows in that time.

1 Like

This is probably the best thread for this following news.

2 Likes

What is going on over at Seven??

4 Likes

Massive cutbacks.

2 Likes

Bleeding money.

Though I would’ve thought that these shows were mainly driven by sponsors.

Sad to see Seven losing locally produced shows and losing local identities (other than news).

3 Likes

Why waste money on hiring Sonia then?

14 Likes

This is a very valid question.

3 Likes

wow, this has come out of nowhere. Am surprised that these lifestyle shows have been given the axe.

They are relatively cheap to make, thanks to the sponsors. Dont they rate relatively well in their given cities, given the news that follows generally rates well?

3 Likes

Very dumb decision. These lifestyle shows are cheap to produce and have sponsorships as well.
Seven need first run shows at 5.30pm Saturdays rather than endless repeats of Border Security.
From 2020, the only locally produced lifestyle shows will be those on Nine (e.g. Postcards, South Aussie with Cosi).

5 Likes

Holy crap. They are really cutting back.

Surely it will start hurting the ratings at some point. This cannot be good.

1 Like

Sad to hear that Sydney Weekender and all the other local travel programs have been axed.

This probably means that Nine is now the only network in Sydney & Brisbane to produce non-local news content (even if only for a telethon once a year)?!

Sadly, I doubt that Sydney Weekender has been a ratings winner since Seven moved the program from Saturday to Sunday in 2015 (I think).

Although it is to my understanding that years ago, Sydney Weekender provided a strong lead-in to the Saturday night news.

2 Likes

Some of these shows were top raters. On many Sundays they would outrate Seven’s prime time shows.

10 November Sydney Weekender ranked 7th in Sydney ahead of Bride and Prejudice and Sunday Night.
17 November it ranked 8th, and 3 November 6th.

5 Likes

Seven’s Local Purge Coninues.

It’s so obvious that the network is going up for sale. All local programming is being axed around the country.

I’m wondering if the local afternoon bulletins will be next?

Of course it is. Considering the amount of debt Seven has, they can’t cut or merge their way out of the financial hole they’re in

1 Like

Maybe a pre-news AFL preview during the season? It hopefully wouldn’t cost any extra money.

It is called The Kick and has aired in Melbourne for the past few seasons. It won’t work in Sydney or Brisbane.

Nine also have the new Our State on a Plate in WA that I assume is a local production.

2 Likes

Seven Queensland manager Ben Roberts-Smith has told The Courier-Mail that the local programs were axed so that resources can be reallocated to the 7:30pm programs. Also:

Full story:
https://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/channel-7-axes-three-queensland-lifestyle-shows-after-20-years/news-story/bbba86a0e1d197d8c78a04483131bdf9

Interesting, as the Lotto draws would be fully funded by Tabcorp, and Helloworld would be fully funded by Helloworld Travel. So why didn’t Roberts-Smith get advertisers to fully fund the three local Brisbane lifestyle programs that have just been axed?

3 Likes