Seven Cricket Coverage

Wrong, all matches that Seven broadcast are matches that Seven produced. Same with women’s internationals. Tests are Fox produced. (By produced I mean ‘host’ broadcasters)

2 Likes

Channel 7 produce all their big bash coverage as the host broadcaster. Fox produce the 16 exclusives obviously.

1 Like

Please Shoudy, look up the definition of literally.

6 Likes

This reminds me of that episode of how I met your mother. Figuratively!

Sources with direct knowledge of discussions at Seven said the network had repeatedly called for the 10th edition of the BBL to be scrapped amid a raft of demands, including changes to the Test schedule to protect its advertising dollar. Seven maintains this stance but CA has laughed this off during negotiations.

2 Likes

absolutely ZERO chance Cricket Australia caves into this request. Who does Channel Seven think they are? They’ve literally been in the game two minutes…

4 Likes

Please…

5 Likes

I might be in the minority here but I believe the BBL needs a rest for one summer.

It has grown tired, weak and is fast becoming stale, and giving it a year off will make people even more excited for the next season and that will hopefully see a boost in viewing numbers and crowd numbers.

There’s also the chance of many international players and Australian international players not being able to play this season, but I’m actually undecided on whether this is a good or bad thing, as some international players are signed to BBL teams then come out here and underperform IMO.

Bring it back in season 2021/22 bigger and better I say.

5 Likes

it is a milestone season this coming season for the BBL.

If they put it on hold for a season, even though they say it’ll be back, I bet you they’ll then say this time next year that for ‘financial reasons’ or some crap like this, they’ve decided to no longer pursue the BBL competition…

3 Likes

Who does CA think they are? They’re being run by a bunch of idiots. Seven have every bloody right to take them to court.

I know people who work for CA. They’ve said the same thing “the current management of CA is bloody terrible and a mess”.

If Seven pull out, does CA really think 10 or Nine will pay 83 million for this product? NO!

2 Likes

Their ego is over the roof. Seven (the new management) has every right to think that they’re an atrocious organisation and make them pay for that horrific deal that included Fox instead of FTA exclusivity. They need to wipe all the wrongdoings of the previous management and do what will give them the best outcome.

6 Likes

Maybe but don’t demand a league is called off

1 Like

CA are not going to get the money anywhere else. Like I said, Nine and Ten will not pay 83 million for the current package. CA need to work out a realistic deal for their product (for this summer) and support their broadcast partners Seven and Foxtel.

2 Likes

Not a single match that Seven have the rights to has not been scheduled - Seven have no leg to stand on making a ‘quality reduction’ argument about matches that have not been scheduled. Claiming a lack of international talent, when BBL never has much but near retired players; claiming there’s an issue of the overlap between Tests and BBL, when that’s always been the case?

Seven might have every right to take them to court - but I can’t fathom what they think is their winning argument here. I hope they terminate the contract - CA go to Nine or Ten - and Seven have to pay damages to CA for any difference in broadcast fee.

Was put well in the guardian,

All of which gives the sense that the reason for the discount is not what matters, as long as there is a discount. Scoring a big reduction from the AFL must have worsened the thirst. But the AFL this season had fewer matches. Cricket won’t. The line about the quality of domestic matches is especially nonsense – international players have barely featured domestically in decades. David Warner has played three Big Bash games in his life. CA is poised to deliver, at the least, a women’s international series, into a full women’s Big Bash, into the men’s counterpart, into a Test series against India. Seven has nothing in the contract to complain about.

4 Likes

And there goes the network.

Seven’s argument is weak but Cricket Australia is crazy if they don’t even try to properly negotiate with their shareholders. They need to do what’s best for the sports broadcast and if that means they have to pipe down their own interest then so be it.

2 Likes

Why would you hope that? How will that be good for cricket? Like I said, Nine and Ten will not pay the money for this product. This isn’t Sevens issue. Cricket Australia have created this mess.

CA are asking for 25 million to be paid by this Tuesday for a product they can’t confirm or insure will be delivered over summer. At least renegotiate these terms with the broadcasters.

Seven will win this hands down. The contract clearly goes in favour of Seven and Foxtel.

Not fully anyway. Seven would’ve wanted exclusivity over cricket but Cricket Australia was determined to go with Fox so they effectively messed this one up.

Cricket Australia went for the money. We all know the Ten deal would have been better for the viewer and the game in the long run. But again thats not Sevens issue.

3 Likes

I want Seven held to their contract because that money will fund the growth of the game and the recovery of it - they signed a contract and CA are well within their rights to hold them to it.

They were already trying to shop the BBL around last season and after having failed to do so, are now using the cover of Covid to try and get a discount - when the only reason this shit deal was done in the first place was the extra amount Seven/Fox were willing to pay.

You buy a product, you wait and see how it’s delivered before you claim a refund on it. Seven are literally making up a mythical Big Bash with huge international stars to try and get a discount. India will be here on tour for the Tests - which will be the best test series opponent Australia has had so far in Seven’s contract.

There’s no reason to think with the evidence as it stands, that Seven will not have their best Cricket ratings so far. That’s why they are desperate to try and get a discount on the deal now - because once the ratings numbers are in, all their excuses will go away.

It’s not CA’s job to make up for Seven’s poor financial decision to overbid for a bad cricket deal - they made it, they should be held to it.

6 Likes

So basically you think the short term gain for money is right for the sport and how to do business? Honestly, wait until the next broadcast rights come up. CA won’t get a cent for their sport. Pack of dogs.