September 11 Attacks

I believe that’s Ali Moore filling in for Tracy.

11 Likes

3 Likes

Parts of 7’s coverage from 12 September 2001.

Today Tonight still went to air.

4 Likes
5 Likes

She was interviewed on Studio 10 yesterday and I think she said she was on air for about 5 hours.

1 Like

I remember channel surfing after I’d finished watching something on the VCR and seeing vision of the first building on fire on Ten’s late news. It was thought a light plane had crashed into the building. I thought that was plausible because I was aware a plane had crashed into the Empire State Building during WWII. It was horrifying to see the event unfold in real time. It just kept getting worse and more devastating. I wanted to wake the other people I was living with but was frozen in front of the television for hours.

I have a vague memory of Tim Webster joining Sandra at the desk for part of the coverage.

6 Likes

I was watching Rove but had already gone to bed, then I got a call sometime after about 11 and got told to go turn the TV on. I think I stayed up watching until about 3am. I had about 3 hours sleep before I had to be up for an 8am start at work over the other side of Melbourne. I couldn’t do that now, being 20 years older!

But while I was watching I was thinking back to only a few hours earlier watching Rove and thinking how different the world had changed in the space of a couple of hours.

I’d also put the radio on before I finally went to bed and I recall Derryn Hinch had made his way to the studio at 3AK and was broadcasting overnight. I can’t recall exactly, but I think he was on air for around 12 hours.

6 Likes

Natalie Barr was hosting on 7. But for some reason this is never referenced.

3 Likes

I can barely remember anything. I was about two and a half when the attacks occurred, so I was way too young to understand what was going on.

The only thing I can vaguely recall is sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table in our living room and seeing my Mum in a massive amount of shock while she was on the phone to someone. Years later, I found out from my Dad that he had received a phone call from her on that morning, which confirmed that the vague memory I have of it is true and not something I subconsciously made up. I think I can also vaguely remember seeing a birds eye view of the World Trade Centre on the TV, but i’m not 100% certain on that. I definitely don’t remember watching the full coverage or anything of that nature.

I can’t even begin to imagine how those poor people on the planes and in the two towers must have felt. There’s so many shocking stories and photos/videos which are out there. I was actually looking at some of the raw footage on YouTube just last night, and in one video which someone had captured from the streets below, there was a man who had climbed out of a shattered window (above the impact zone) in the North Tower, but slipped and fell to his death. The events of that day are absolutely awful, and quite honestly, i’m glad that I was too young at the time to truly remember anything from it.

I don’t think I remember seeing/hearing any media coverage of September 11 as it was unfolding.

Although knowing how young I was at the time and the truly horrendous nature of the events that day, it’s probably for the best.

Gee, having Steve in front of a greenscreen with the footage behind him seems to be in poor taste to me.

Seven and Nines Coverage:

10 Likes

7 Melbourne coverage:

7 Brisbane coverage:

(side note: the latter video shows a promo 7 did for their coverage - I think @Zampakid uploaded a version Prime did but I can’t find it on YT)

4 Likes

I missed the whole thing. The whole damn thing.

My aunt had died and my mum and I were staying with cousins in a small country town before the funeral the next day. We’d gone to bed at around 9.30pm and woke up the next morning and found out what had happened, but by this stage all we were getting was recaps, and with only two tv channels it was really hard to work out timelines. To be honest it wasn’t until years later that I discovered the towers had fallen so soon after they were attacked.

Had I been at home I would’ve probably been watching Ch10 and would’ve seen it live, so it’s a strange feeling to have such a monumental event happen in the world and not know about it until many hours later.

Some friends attended Shirley Strachan’s funeral which was held in the afternoon of September 11. The wake was at a venue in St Kilda and the mourners saw it unfold live on a small tv in the bar.

3 Likes

I was 8 years old. I remember my mother feeding my younger brother who was 4 months old at the time and my grandmother rang asking if we were watching the television coverage.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there clips recently on YouTube that had Seven and Nines coverage from that night? I believe Nat Barr was presenting Seven’s Late News that night.

Tony Jones breaking into programming on the ABC to break the news.

8 Likes

Opening

5 Likes

Good find. I haven’t seen that before.

I believe Nighline waited until the Sopranos finished around 11.20? Seven Late News also commenced around this time after their scheduled programming.