September 11 Attacks

Credit YouTube/adelaidecrowsrdabest

Small portion of 7’s coverage with Chris Reason and then-US bureau chief Mike Amor in the early hours of 12 September, 2001

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 41 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just found this video of Australian television channels on September 12 2001

6 Likes

Rhett Bartlett has uploaded BTQ’s 9/11 coverage from 5pm-6pm AEST with the late Frank Warrick and Kay McGrath anchoring.

7 Likes

Ten News at Five Melbourne, 12th September 2001

National Nine News Melbourne, 12th September 2001

Sky News Australia, 3pm 12th September 2001

14 Likes

@BigVic has PM’d me to share these. I believe the videos come from the poster above^

Australian 9/11 Coverage : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive - coverage on the morning of 12 September 2001. 7 had NBC Nightly News and Sunrise, 9 had Today, 10 had Ron Wilson (Cheez TV was abandoned) and ABC had Tony Eastley (children’s programming was abandoned). All regular progamming was abandoned for most of that day with coverage from NBC, ABC America and CBS.

Ten News First at Five from 12 September 2001

60 min edition of National Nine News Melbourne co-anchored by Peter Hitchener and Jo Hall

7 Likes

Courtesy of @rhettrospective - National Nine News from September 12, 2001.

3 Likes

Channel 7 Melbourne’s broadcast on September 11 2001.
Talking Footy into Breaking News break back to completion of Talking Footy into Ch7 news rolling coverage.
This footage was provided to me by David M. Green of VHSRevue
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/davidthegreen

20 Likes

Tom Brokaw joined Matt and Katie at the desk (shown at around the 12.5min mark, about 5 minutes into Seven’s coverage, just before they cut back to Nat) at 9.46am US East Coast time (11.46pm AEST).

Backtracking, it would mean that Seven’s coverage started at 11.41pm AEST.

4 Likes

Without sp*mming this thread to much
I will be posting in a couple days the Adelaide Ch7 transmission which does actually interrupt Taking Footy (and they never return to the program)

5 Likes

9:41am in NY after W Bush’s speech at the Emma E. Booker elementary school

1 Like

Here’s Ch7 Melbourne transmission from 10.40pm - 11.57pm (approx) on Sept 11, 2001.
Includes entire Talking Footy episode and breaking news of terrorist attacks
Footage courtesy of Davd M. Green of VHS Revue

9 Likes

Finally we have a full tape of Channel 7 from the night of September 11th.

Great upload and find.

You could almost now sync the Australian networks together to give a complete timeline.

5 Likes

SBS seems to be the only FTA network regularly noting the 9/11 anniversary and each year somehow manages to find more new documentaries about the events of the day . This year’s offerings include.

Rise And Fall: The World Trade Center

Sunday 3 September 8:30 PM

Tells the story of the architects and engineers who helped create and construct the World Trade Center Twin Towers.

Built as a symbol of American strength and ambition, the towers were considered the ultimate architectural project of the 20th century before their terrible end on 9/11.

9/11: Four Flights

Sunday 10 September 8:30 PM

Four flights - American 11, United 175, American 77, and United 93 - took off the morning of September 11, 2001, unaware of the life-changing events to follow and fate that would forever intertwine them.

Through the powerful and personal narratives from family and friends, along with air traffic controllers and others, the program tells the riveting and emotional human stories of those aboard each doomed jetliner.

3 Likes

The US love it so there will forever be a supply of retellings.

Not sure “love it” is the right way to interpret the abundance of Sept 11 documentaries in the US :thinking:

1 Like

You know what I mean though. They pump out so many of them because it activates the patriotic gene among them, and it’s a non-controversial topic all get behind (north or south, R or D).

With the coverage starting in Melbourne after Talking Footy at approx 11.40pm (with the first news update at 11.30pm by the looks of that above clip), what time did Sydney and Brisbane get the coverage? Did they start roughly the same time as Melbourne with their “other programming” waiting to finish? I know 10 News was first at around the 1045pm mark.

1 Like

Western Australia must’ve been 10 mins into Rove live when Sandra Sully broke the bad news live on 10. Does anyone know what was on 7 and 9 when the news broke in Western Australia?

I can remember waking the next morning to watch ABC but there was rolling coverage instead of Children’s shows.

5 Likes

I believe it was the same. Seven Late News and Nightline were both scheduled at 11.30am across the east coast.

Ten Late News usually commenced at 10.30pm hence why they broke the news to Australia first.

2 Likes