SEN (Company) (formerly Crocmedia)

If the music was to be similar to SBS Chill or Budda I’d be calling the station: ‘ZEN Spirit’.
:laughing:

3 Likes

There was another COVID-19 scare at Crocmedia HQ in Melbourne with all staff having been ordered to be urgently tested. CEO Craig Hutchison even had to pull out of last night’s episode of Footy Classified. There are widespread ramifications if the offices are closed down, as 3AW’s Sportsday program, which is hosted by Gerard Healy and Sam McClure, is recorded there, while several SEN personalities also appear on Fox Footy shows.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/covid19-scare-forces-crocmedia-boss-craig-hutchison-from-footy-classified-hosting-duties/news-story/a5a07d20eb608193b843319e515c9c05

UPDATE 1:

UPDATE 2:
Bruce Eva hosting Sportsday on 3AW this evening, with Gerard Healy in isolation after getting tested for COVID-19.

1 Like

Sportsday on 3AW was affected for the second night in a row, due to the program produced at Crocmedia HQ in Melbourne. Bruce Eva again hosted the show at 3AW studios tonight (alongside Jimmy Bartel), with Sam McClure told to isolate at home by the Victorian Health Department according to Herald Sun.

1 Like

I don’t know why they can’t broadcast from home while in isolation. Fair enough host it from the 3AW studios if they can’t get production people into Crocmedia but surely Gerard Healy and Scoop can still host it from home.

2 Likes

Bruce Eva again hosting Sportsday from 3AW studios tonight, the last show for the week.
Gerard Healy and Sam McClure should be back at the helm on Monday if they don’t have to self-isolate for the full 14 days.

1 Like

Hutchy didn’t like his cheap as chips calling option of calling live sports via a screen rather than at the event:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-2020-channel-7-under-fire-over-disappointing-commentary-call-072612141.html

Typical, this wasn’t a story about his media outlet, yet he felt tender that criticisms of another outlet doing what he did wasn’t good enough. Should have kept quiet Craig.

1 Like

AFL Trade Radio returns for its 10th year in 2020 by signing up Carlton legend and former list manager Stephen Silvagni.

EDIT: AFL Trade Radio begins today (October 26).

1 Like
1 Like

Great move. Crocmedia meant nothing.

3 Likes

Makes sense.

2 Likes

Except a good summation of their managerial decisions at times :wink:

2 Likes

Crocmedia blowing their trumpet again:

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sen-secures-melbourne-cup-carnival-broadcast-rights

1 Like

Not many on Melb Cup day in Brisbane or the Gold Coast will hear the call on SEN Track’s low powered licences.

1053 AM in Brisbane doesn’t stand up well to electrical noise.

Less than 10km from the TX site, it’s in trouble.

By night, they can kiss goodbye the licensed 30km radius.

Canberra 1053 2CA well and truly belts it as do adjacent stations 1044 & 1062.

Far worse for 1620 Gold Coast on the congested MF-NAS allocations. Night time coverage much less than 10km and daytime for the Cup call, 1008 is the best choice anywhere beyond 5km of the Burleigh Golf clubhouse at Miami.

@4TAB-1008kHz booms out from St Helena Island in Moreton Bay, a masterstroke of AM site location.

3 Likes

I still don’t get their end game with racing radio - sure there’s a slice of gambling advertising pie - but their investment in getting SENTrack up and running has been absolutely huge - but what do they offer listeners that the pure racing radio stations don’t, and how will they grab enough market share to make back this cost?

SEN Track made the DAB ratings this month - 20k in Melbourne, and while it wouldn’t have been there all survey, an asterisk for the Sydney service. Even if they were raking it in from those listeners, if you get that small of an audience in Melbourne with both a good AM signal and DAB (sure they are the DAB ratings, but similar to how The Edge does in Sydney, I’m sure analogue listeners put the digital station in their books), how much smaller is it in Brisbane? And then even if the frequency is good - how many listeners do you peel away from RadioTAB in Darwin to justify a service there?

4 Likes

It’s not as if the main SEN service is setting the world on fire either cume-wise. Niche audiences must sell well.

3 Likes

Yeah, but in the case of 3AK it was kinda built out of the wreckage of a failed station - so it could afford to just be okay for a while and find a niche. If you’re paying out millions to buy HPONs and 2CH - they need it to fire quickly.

You’d think if they wanted in that much it’d be almost as cheap to just buy out RadioTAB…

2 Likes

I can’t wait until SEN 1170 am is on air. Tonight we had the AFL with the same feed on 2sm and 2ue. Then it might be SEN 1170 AM in the future. What a great way to use a Sydney wide commercial licence just stream the same thing on 3 different stations. :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t forget it’s on DAB too.

Anyway it did use to happen with GB or UE and ABC when the league was on in NZ. They both took radio sport coverage. Back in the good old days when they never thought to watch TV and commentate.

7 Likes

Now there’s a great quote for the “Things that never would’ve happened 40, 30, even 20 years ago” category!

Of course it could be argued that both 2SM and 2UE were far better stations back then (well, maybe not so much 2SM in 2000), but this is a debate for another time/place.

Although I’m sure that all three stations had their own commentary back in those days!

I just thought of some more cases of duplicate programming (with the same audio stream). Melbourne cup its normal for all the stations to have the same feed (its a radio tradition :)). I know on 2GB/2CH they did share the same show a couple of years ago on Christmas night? Or New years? And also I think NewsRadio and ABC local radio do overlap in some situations. 2UE and GB I think overlapped during one of the elections (back when 2ue was first acquired by Macquarie).

Anyway I don’t think it matches what was happening in Melbourne when 3MP was SEN. The Cromedia streams seems to be most duplicated in Melbourne and Sydney on different frequencies in the same market. Anyway this is off topic and should be in the random thread.

1 Like

4IP has always had great coverage, especially at night.

2 Likes