SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

The NAIDOC Awards were supposed to be held tonight, but have been postponed to a later date due to the lockdowns. It was to air on both Viceland and NITV from 7pm.

On Viceland tonight, Australia’s Forgotten Islands (7pm) and Robbie Hood (7.55pm) air instead of the Awards. (note: NITV are now showing a NAIDOC Concert - am not sure if its new or not).

Hypothetical

Monday 19 July at 8.30pm, 8 episodes

Tom Allen, Rob Beckett, Jessica Knappett and Liza Tarbuck are posed absurd hypothetical situations and scored on how well they would deal with them.

Border To Border

Thursday 22 July at 11:00 pm, 8 episodes

In Border To Border, VICE News correspondent David Noriega embeds in borderlands across the world, delivering an immersive, firsthand look at life on the edges.

Limetown

Tuesday 27 July at 9:30 pm, 10 episodes

Based on the hit podcast of the same name, Limetown follows Lia Haddock (Jessica Biel), a journalist for American Public Radio (APR), as she unravels the mystery behind the disappearance of over 300 people at a neuroscience research facility in Tennessee.

SBS will air the German adaptation of Sex Tape.

Season 8 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine scheduled on main channel for Fri, 13 Aug 08:30 PM

They’re still showing South Park.

Back to Season 1, still in 4:3

1 Like

Yes there is an article somewhere that says they still had rights to repeats just not new episodes , new episodes on 10Shake (whenever we actually get a new full season of South Park though … )

1 Like

Vice - Season 8

Monday 2 August at 10:10 PM, 15 Episodes

VICE is a fearless, raw approach to storytelling, tackling global issues usually overlooked by other media. From anti-government rebellions, to hotbeds of terrorist activity, to conflict and corruption, VICE uses an engrossing documentary style to bring unique perspective to events shaping the future.

Guns That Changed The Game

Sunday 8 August at 7:30 PM, 3 episodes

The golden age of small arms production began in the early 1800s with the invention of the modern cartridge, which combined the percussion cap, the propellant and the projectile into one small, but lethal package. Accuracy, power and loading speed all took a quantum leap forward.

Forsaken Places

Saturday 21 August at 07:30 PM, 4 episodes

Historic places, forgotten, threatened and threatening at the same time. Made of steel, poured in concrete and blasted out of a mountain - yesterday’s monuments from the great eras of history come alive again. These places are also full of personal stories told to us by contemporary witnesses.

Two episodes of Shortland Street tomorrow on SBS Viceland. A tad confused as only one episode is scheduled in New Zealand.

1 Like

Locked Up: Teens Behind Bars

Sunday 22 August at 09:30 PM

With Britain’s prison population the largest in Europe and with youth knife crime up 64% in the past five years, eight British teen tearaways are incarcerated in one of America’s toughest jails in a bid to divert them from a life of crime.

Reset

Friday 27 August at 10:30 PM, 10 episodes

Dexter unearths a lost successor to NBA Jam and plays it for the first time in 30 years. Plus, meet the people dedicated to preserving video games and gaming culture.

SBS Viceland will show a marathon of seven episodes of If You Are the One this Saturday, August 14, from midday.

1 Like

The marathon led up to a 10th anniversary special which aired between 6pm and 7:30pm. The 10th anniversary special featured all past nyujiabin (female) guests as well as some past nanjiabin (male) guests. This included a handful of successful couples that were able to last and actually got married.

A number of former co-presenters also returned for the special, although sadly a few ex co-presenters (including the first male) that left the show on bad terms were ‘scrubbed’ out from the presentations.

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about Le Jia? He was pretty good in the early seasons and all the subsequent male presenters just haven’t been as good.

The current ‘format’ of the show is too gimmicky. Having the male choosing which girls go in which section is not the worst concept as it gives the male contestant a chance to choose who they like on first impression but it’s a waste of time. The older format is better, but wouldn’t it be nice if they had 24 males on the podiums with female contestants as well just for a flip version.

1 Like

Correct. The “come and go” movie actors that popped in for a few episodes didn’t contribute much, but I did find that a few longer term replacements such as Huang (both the male and female replacements) or Zhenyu had their own style, although not as good as Mr Le.

IYATO has had ‘reverse’ specials (24 Guys, 1 girl) in recent years during the classic format era, both in 2016 and early 2017 in blocks of 4 episodes each before those specials ceased with the switching over to the v2 format in March 2017.

IYATO have since went back to the original format in China in January 2020 following the 10th anniversary special (we are 18 months behind Chinese broadcasts), however unfortunately due to declining diplomatic relations as a result of COVID and declining ratings in Australia , IYATO has unfortunately been reduced to a ‘special occasion’ program rather than the regular lineup it previously enjoyed prior to COVID.

Fingers crossed however the ‘returnees specials’ that was meant to follow the anniversary eventually make it to Australia at least. 4 episodes all up (2 episodes comprising the classic format girls that are still single and 2 episodes which combine some of the v2 girls with the classic format girls).

Yeah - the old format got me hooked onto the show. Started to lose interest when a) They changed it (really don’t like the ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ sections) and b) The girls nit-picky criticisms of the contestants became a bit too predictable

Viceland had a brief “In Memoriam” dedicated to Sean Lock after last night’s episode of 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, following his death on Wednesday.

Apologies, I didn’t get a screen grab - but it was a black screen with white text which read

IN MEMORIAM

SEAN LOCK
1963 - 2021

Would have been up for about 5 seconds before Viceland cut to The Curse of Oak Island.

e: Repeated at the end of tonight’s episode.

2 Likes

Hypothetical - Season 2

From Monday 13 September at 08:30 PM, 8 episodes

Hypothetical is a comedy show, hosted by Josh Widdicombe and James Acaster. Guests are posed absurd hypothetical situations and scored on how well they would deal with them.

Episode 1: Rob Beckett, Sara Barron, Maisie Adam, and Jonathan Ross are faced with a number of bizarre hypothetical scenarios and scored on how well they would deal with them.

I don’t know how Shortland St rates, maybe SBS doesn’t care at a 5.30pm timeslot on a secondary channel? I’m curious if the show will air in 2022, as it only lasted one year back in the 90s apparently.

So many finales of long running shows are disappointing but I found the Brooklyn Nine-Nine finale to be hilarious and touching. They managed to end the story well and still connect it to the whole series and also included a ‘Surprise Reveal’… or two.

1 Like

Hulu shared that the Seth MacFarlane dramedy, now dubbed The Orville: New Horizons, will debut March 10, 2022.

I thought this wasn’t real when I first saw the poster. I’ve cropped out the full image.