SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

According to this article, Shortland Street returns to TVNZ2 on January 11 which is also the premiere date on SBS Viceland.

1 Like

We’ve missed these shows for quite a while, especially the former.

Now they need to bring back the original Iron Chef Japan and I’m back in.

It could be a while before these episodes air on Viceland though.

3 Likes

The SBS Viceland episodes are nearly three years old.

2 Likes

I hope Shortland St lasts more than a year, not sure if back in the mid 90’s it was behind in broadcast to NZ. They also didn’t have SBS On Demand back then so guess those views makeup for who doesn’t watch it live.

I almost died that Shortland Street was back and it seems to be same day as NZ as well after airing the Christmas cliffhanger.

And my god those episodes were not good. Now it all comes back why I dropped the show in 2018. Annoying characters and terrible plots.

I used to love Shortland Street circa 2007 to 2013. So many awesome characters Maia, Vasa, Libby, Callum, Justine, Hunter, Sarah, Kylie, Maxwell, Mona, Joey, Bree, Luke, Gerald, Murray, Gabrielle, Scotty, Toni, Emma, Roimata, Josh god even bitch extraordinaire Rachel McKenna.

Great plots too, Ferndale strangler, Hunter’s drug addiction, the Scott Spear saga, crazy Hailey, Harry being resentful of Rachel, Toni’s death, Sarah’s never ending woes, Bree’s reign of terror, Brooke stealing fancy cutlery and trying to be a sugar baby, Ethan Pierce fiasco, Maia’s pregnancy journey and the Roimata affair with Josh.

I stopped watching regularly after way too many poor storylines. I mean Shortland Street has always had some WTF and horrible stories, Brenda pleasuring herself with a Pringles can sized sex object (Shudders), Yvonne’s dodgy imposter son, Jasmine and bloody Angel, Alice fucking a stranger the day of her dead baby’s funeral, Shanti’s accent dropping a month after arriving in Ferndale, Rachel’s gay brother suddenly becoming straight and that awful Christmas Party band.

Though mid 2013 the quality really started taking a nosedive, Nicole marrying herself complete with wedding ceremony, Rachel letting her husband Chris fuck and impregnate Grace Kwan upstairs whilst she flicked through a magazine downstairs in the loungeroom, Bella thinking a dead Luke’s spirit was in Kronos the cat (I see Neighbours copied this crap with Sheila & Gary), Wendy dialing up the nagging to 100, Phoenix going off the rails, sheltered rich boy style. Which was such a shame as it was regularly better than both Neighbours & Home and Away.

I’ve followed it on and off ever since and apart from a brief renaissance in 2016-2018 (with a few rough patches) it hasn’t been the same since.

So onto the episodes last night.

Positives: TK getting tasered by a police office. Hell yes. That scene gave me so much joy. I’ve always hated the TK character from the get go. Arrogant, smug he-man.

Finally Phoenix has gone for good. So glad he topped himself. By far the worst and most annoying of Chris’ many children.

Great to see Dr. Love still there. I miss seeing which mate’s wife he’s going to shag or which marriage he’s going to bust up next. I knew he wouldn’t commit suicide, there’s far too many doctors and nurses he hasn’t screwed yet.

Really glad to see Frank. I loved all of Chris and Carrie’s triplets and was disappointed when they started leaving.

Oh Nicole. I can’t help but love Nicole even if her love life is always a mess and even if every year she flip flops which gender she wants to bang. I see she’s married to a women this year. I hope it lasts, Nicole usually works better when she’s with women, though I did like the Vinnie pairing.

Nice to still see Damo & Drew too.

Loved the filming at the batch and on the beach, very beautiful.

Now onto the not so flattering.

Seriously Leanne is now into women. This is the same Leanne that was staunchly conservative, racist and extremely homophobic for years. I hate how the writers have slowly ruined her character and changed it completely. I can maybe buy she had a fling with a Maori and gave the baby up and overcompensated with a conservative view but is now gay. No, she isn’t a Meredith Baxter Bierney type. Massive fail. No matter how much Nicole has changed her perception to lesbianism there is no way Leanne was gay. All her relationships with men failed because she was stubborn, pig headed, domineering, unlikable and shrewish. She did not repress her true sexuality. That Cliffhanger was done nothing more for a cheap shock and so Graham could have a heart attack in a scandalous way. Nasty.

It’s raining lesbians in Ferndale. After being married less than a year, Nicole’s marriage is already in trouble. I would desperately love to see Nicole and Maeve last, but with Theo sniffing around already I doubt that sadly. Maybe they could be a thrupple, Shorty’s done everything else.

Dawn, Dawn, Dawn. She started as a sweet naive country girl, now she’s a selfish skank. I haven’t liked her in a long while and this affair with Prince is nauseating. Destined to be together, this isn’t Barbara Cartland or Mills and Boon Shortland Street and I wish soaps would stop romanticising affairs.

I’ve never liked Desdemona either. Rude and loud and now she’s an aggressive drunk bashing Damo. Dump her ass Damo and never look back. I wish this story was done with more nuance and subtlety, but Shortland Street writers are like a bull in a china shop these days.

Boyd is still a charisma black hole. Honestly how such a boring character has lasted so long I’ll never know. I liked Eve but this craziness of her stealing one of the twins in the night, probably Romulus, is just stupid. Zara matches Boyd in the boring department, a match made in dreariness.

So Marty is now a cucked simp. Still talking to Prince like nothing ever happened and willing him to get with the love of his life. Seriously stop emasculating men in some misguided attempt of empowering women, it cheapens both sexes.

Never liked Harper from the moment she did a Single White Female on Sarah. So disappointed she’s still there.

Meh to Tess & Esther.

The only thing keeping me going is to see the wonderful bitch Carla return and cause hell.

1 Like

Wellington Paranormal - Season 3

From 24 February at 8:30pm

Wellington Paranormal sees Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue), O’Leary (Karen O’Leary), and Sergeant Maaka Maaka Pohatu) back investigating all manner of supernatural events on the streets of Aotearoa’s capital city. In this Police Reality ‘Mockumentary’ series, the first Paranormal Unit of the Wellington Police looks into cases that defy normal explanation with a typically Kiwi low key response.

1 Like
1 Like

Shortland Street is rated PG ? yet compared to Home and Away they have lesbians kissing, 2 women in 60s in bed together, the word “slut shaming” used , the word “dick” used as in “don’t be a dick” and a couple with an intersex child.

Even a 20 year old growing weed in the bedroom.

Not complaining just observations

Home and Away seems to just live off the endless River Boy crap and seems so predicatable.

2 Likes

They don’t want to offend the grannies who make up the bulk of their audience. :wink:

6 Likes

Is Viceland no longer showing Full Frontal with Samantha Bee? I didn’t realise the show was back in the US.

3 Likes

March is huge on SBS VICELAND

Models, mayhem and sharp knives

It’s a month of laughs and challenges and sparky stuff (luckily, it’s more the ‘forged in fire’ and ‘great ideas’ sort of thing, rather than big bad fires) on SBS VICELAND’s early evening line-up in March.

The ‘World of Entertainment’ line-up brings you top-rating shows from across the globe, from Asia’s Next Top Model to crazy comedian challenges in Taskmaster Norway.

Here’s what’s coming up:

Forged in Fire Latin America

New Series Premiere

Mondays 6.15pm from 1 March

There is no better time to use the phrase “sparks fly” in the context of a reality show than with the world of Forged in Fire … The battles as world-class bladesmiths re-create historical edged weapons in a cutthroat competition have proved hugely popular since the show debuted in 2015 and in the Latin American version of the original, eight entrants from Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and Spain go to it making bowie knives, the Spear of Destiny, kerambits and more.

Asia’s Next Top Model

New Season Premiere

Tuesdays 6.05pm from 2 March

Would you hug a scaly reptile for the sake of your career? Get ready for Asia’s Next Top Model series 6 as the competition finds itself in brand new territory in the Land of Smiles - Thailand. Starting off with an energetic selfie catwalk in public, and later a ‘Wild Things’ photoshoot with some less than cuddly animals, this series’ challenges push the model hopefuls to their limits. Cindy Bishop returns as host and Yu Tsaireturns as creative director, guiding the girls through their modelling journey. It’s also the first time in Top Model history where the top model alumni have been brought back to mentor the new contestants.

Vs Arashi

New Season Premiere

Wednesdays 6.05pm from 2 March

With challenge names such as Gogo Sweeper, Popcorn Hitter and Kicking Sniper, this show is fast and funny, as Arashi’s boy band members once again challenge other entertainers and celebrity guests through a series of contests of physical strength, general knowledge and dares.

Taskmaster Norway

New Season Premiere

Thursdays 6.10pm from 4 March

The slightly bad news: The last episode of Taskmaster season 5 airs on Monday 1 March. Nooooo. The good news: If you’ve missed any of the current season that’s aired so far, eps are available at SBS On Demand. Even better news: Taskmaster Norway is arriving to keep the laughs going, with Atle Antonsenin the role of the almighty presenter. In typical style, the first episode sees five of Norway’s best comedians try to provoke tears, put on a frozen shirt, and fry a waffle in a slightly different way. It does not slow down from there: challenges in following episodes include trying to run on water and making a film to be played backwards.

Taskmaster: Champion Of Champions

Mondays 8.30pm 8 and 15 March

And more good news for Taskmaster fans: In the two-part Champion of Champions superspecial, past champs go head-to-head. A quintet of comedy goliaths are put to the definitive test to find out just who is the worthiest of them all.

If You Are The One

Fridays 6.05pm

Rounding out the weekly parade of early evening entertainment, If You Are The One continues with host Ming Fei overseeing the action as a lone male suitor tries to impress a panel of 24 single women in new episodes of this popular Chinese dating show.

Hulu has announced that the third and final season of Shrill will premiere in America on Friday, May 7. Expect SBS Viceland to fasttrack it soon after.

Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia

From Monday 15 March at 10:20 PM

Haunted by past mistakes, Hamilton embarks on a journey to correct an error in his reporting and identifies the origin of an international toad venom smoking phenomenon.

The Black Full Monty

Tuesday 16 March at 09:25 PM

This is the story of male strippers and their entrepreneurial managers as they reach a critical point in their evolution and prove the UK market for the naked black body. It touches on the fetishisation of black men and the related fantasising and exploitation. From the performers themselves, we find out firsthand what it means to be a black man stared at, envied, and the object of power-related fantasies in the context of today’s Britain. As they strut their stuff of stage, as they prepare behind the scenes, as they live the life they want to become accustomed to, we get their perspectives on fulfilling a stereotype, on whether this is just an honest living or something darker, and on how far they will go to earn that living.

The Great British Urine Test

Friday 19 March at 08:30 PM

Every day, we flush away over 100 million litres of urine. But did you know that your pee could be the key to keeping you healthy? And that is could be an early warning system for chronic illness? Dr Christian Jessen and Dr Amir Khan team up to test the nation’s health by testing their urine, and the results are extraordinary.

Using ground-breaking science, the humble urine sample acts as a lie detector to reveal exactly what people have been eating, how much they’ve been drinking and even the levels of pollution they’re absorbing. Dr Christian and Dr Amir provide intervention programmes to try to improve the health of the those with the most alarming results.

Whilst across the UK, our ’pee pod’ results give the big picture on which city does the most drugs, has the healthiest (and unhealthiest) diet and which city drinks the most booze. With unique stunts testing myths and curious uses for urine along the way, this is the biggest urine test the UK has ever seen.

25 Siblings And Me

Tuesday 23 March at 09:30 PM

The incredible story of Oli, a young British man with Asperger’s, who overnight discovers he has 25 brothers and sisters, all from the same American sperm donor. Keen to be part of this new family, Oli travels to the USA meeting his donor, joining a mass sibling reunion. Full of humour, heart, and hard truths, the film follows Oli as he navigates the fragile dynamics in this new family formation.

Rise Up

Tuesday 23 March at 10:35 PM

The 1984 British Miner’s Strike turned worker against worker and led to a bloody and deadly battle between mine workers and the British government.

Sex Trafficking In America

Fri, 26 Mar 2021 | 08:30 PM

Sex Trafficking in America tells the stories of young women coerced into prostitution - and follows one police unit that’s committed to rooting it out.

Colony - Season 2

From Monday March 29 at 11:05 pm double episodes

Will and Katie struggle to keep their family together in a changing city. Broussard returns home. Snyder gets an intriguing job offer from a mysterious organisation.

Patriot Brains premieres on SBS Viceland on Tuesday, April 13, with each episode shown six days after the NZ broadcast.

Patriot Brains

From Tuesday 13 Apr at 8:30 PM

Repeated on SBS: Friday 16 April 9:20 PM

Patriot Brains is a brand new trans-Tasman comedy panel show that sees Australian and New Zealand comedians battle it out to determine once and for all, who’s best – Kiwis or Aussies? Hosted by legendary UK comedian Bill Bailey, he uses his comedic genius, wisdom and impartial residency to help determine our winner.

No questions are off limits, spanning from who has the best road movie? Who’s got the most confusing outdated law still in effect? And just which country has the best Prime Minister? The show promises to be witty, hilarious but also thought-provoking and informative. The Aussie and Kiwi teams are made up of three comedians each week, led by an ongoing pannellist who stays on the whole season. The Aussie team is led by the hilarious Mel Buttle and the Kiwi team by iconic Mealnie Bracewell.

Each week, one team will prove they know the most about their own country, and the other will be named and shamed as the most uneducated patriots in the trans-Tasman bubble.

2 Likes

Back To Chernobyl

Monday 26 April at 11:20 PM

The Chernobyl nuclear disaster was the biggest technological accident in human history. Almost 35 years later, we go back to ground zero to the ghost city of Pripyat in northern Ukraine.

The Chernobyl nuclear disaster was the biggest technological accident in human history. Almost 35 years later, we go back to ground zero to the ghost city of Pripyat in northern Ukraine. A mosaic of personal stories and experiences of people who were impacted by the disaster still suffering from irreversible medical conditions, this film takes us back to Chernobyl. With stunning never been seen before archival materials they kept hidden in their homes, this visual, suspenseful, and emotional documentary tells the small intimate stories behind a great historical drama.

The UnXplained with William Shatner

From Sunday 2 May at 9:30 PM

Ep 1 Located in central Japan, the Aokigahara Forest has been the site of hundreds of ritual suicides over the past six decades - leading many to wonder whether this so-called ‘Suicide Forest’ may now be an evil place that is causing people to take their own lives. But is it really possible for a place to be evil? And if so, how?

E-Sports Revolution

From Monday 3 May at 11:20 PM

There are moments that cement a player’s name in history. Moments that are unforgettable and where legends are born. Discover the lives of these gaming giants, the people who’ve helped blow the doors of E-sports wide open and who continue to contribute to its success.