Wednesday July 4th - 00:00 AEST
23:30 ACST / 22:00 AWST (Tues)
English English
Colombia vs
England
Wednesday July 4th - 04:00 AEST
03:30 ACST / 02:00 AWST
Spanish English Spanish

How is the SBS digital TV broadcast supposed to be used? What are you expected to do if you want to watch the soccer and listen to a non-English language commentary as provided on one of DTV digital channels?

1 Like

Should be split into different audio streams on the video service so it can run seamlessly. DVB-T has support for this but I only think it’s been used once.

1 Like

One method is put the TV on mute and listen to a non-English language commentary on SBS website or digital radio receiver.

Digital radio and especially a website would be out of sync with the vision.

1 Like

I have thought of one way to listen to SBS DTV radio and watch SBS vision.

Like many people I watch DVR on the TV via HDMI input and use an A/V amp for sound and input switching. You can switch the DVR to an SBS DVT radio channel but instead of watching the vision from the DVR on the HDMI input, switch to the TV vision of SBS.

3 Likes

No native speakers available?

Do they use an overseas national broadcaster/rights holder for the calls of these matches or their own?

The competition is open from 15 October to 18 November 2018.
Enter at sbs.com.au/nlc18

Anyone notice that the bandwidth of 105.5 2SBS FM Canberra is quite low.
I measure it at around 50kHz.
I wouldn’t have expected that kind of narrow bandwidth & fidelity from a national broadcaster
from the national capital…

1 Like

Interesting interview on Mediaweek about SBS Radio. I must admit I know very little about SBS Radio but it seems to be sticking to its charter far better than its television siblings. And the audience seems to be engaging with it too. And I didn’t even realise it carried advertising.

3 Likes

My parents listen to the Cantonese show almost every morning (9am to 11am). It does carry advertising, SBS promos and public service announcements, although sometimes they can be too repetitive, e.g. promos for SBS’s Premier League telecasts during the competition’s off-season.

1 Like

SBS delivers new mobile first website in 68 languages

The new website is designed to support new features enabling the display of content in languages that run from left-to-right and right-to-left, and new font faces have improved the readability of content, with consideration given to the needs of different languages when selecting font sizes, line heights, and letter spacing.

With SBS Radio achieving more than 1.8 million* streams of language content every month, the significant update also introduces a new audio player which offers listeners new features and capabilities to catch up on their favourite programs and podcasts at their convenience.

Mandi Wicks, SBS Director of Audio and Language Content, said: “As the world’s most linguistically diverse public broadcaster, SBS is focused on evolving its multilingual offering to ensure that it meets the changing consumption needs of multicultural communities.

“With 86 per cent of SBS’s language audiences consuming this content via mobile devices, and more than 2.3 million monthly website users on average, our new website enables us to increase engagement on both mobile and desktop, and puts on demand content at the forefront, making it easier for audiences to navigate the extensive selection of in-language news, entertainment and information available from SBS Radio.”

SBS is Australia’s most distinctive broadcaster, providing unparalleled programs and services in 68 languages to the nearly five million Australians* who speak a language other than English across radio and digital platforms.

SBS Radio services can be accessed via:

• The free SBS Radio App available now at the iTunes App Store and Google Play
  • Analogue radio programs – AM / FM
  • Digital radio (DAB+) and digital television
  • Online live streaming and On Demand
  • Podcasts
1 Like

Mandi is a great success story, a long way from 105 second updates with Austereo and launch news team at Nova 969 (Paul Murray there too) in 2001.

3 Likes
3 Likes

SMH articles from 5, 10 and 23 June 1975.

5 Likes

2EA studios in 1975.

ShowImage (3)

Source: NAA: A6180, 21/7/75/8 and 17/12/75/3

4 Likes

3EA logo circa 1986

The “3EA” appears to be in the same block style as the former Network 0-28 TV logo, but with the updated “O” globe that came with the change in brand to SBS on TV.

And ignore the fading and what appear to be some artsy fading and brushstrokes on the blue background around “1224 AM”. It’s meant to be just solid blue, it’s just the bumper sticker has wrinkled a bit over the years and that’s how the scan has picked it up :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Replying to an old post here, but over the last week been finding most of the SBS self help repeaters in towns that I’ve visited (which I think are looked after by councils) have either handed back their licence or have simply switched it off, or not checked their feeds. Here’s my list:

Dubbo 100.5 - Tx ON, buzzing sound
Nyngan 103.9 - OFF
Cobar 105 3 & 106.9 - both ON
Broken Hill 98.1 - OFF
Mildura 98.7 - OFF
Deniliquin 107.3 - OFF
Griffith 92.7 - OFF
Leeton 94.7 - OFF
Narrandera 93.5 - ON but no sound
Wagga 103.5 - ON
Gundagai 95.1 - OFF

Am guessing budget cuts are the reason and/or lack of interest from the public are the reasons.

3 Likes

I suspect the Councils may not know that they are responsible for ensuring they are still broadcasting either - I recall there was a company that was “assisting” establishing these self-help sites by partnering with Councils to deliver the equipment/licencing etc to get the sites going

2 Likes

It’s been like that for several years now. And Cooma 106.5 is still transmitting 10 BOLD. Not sure about SBS Batlow, which was transmitting 10 BOLD/ONE HD for years before reverting to the VAST Ch. 800 loop last time I heard it. I will pass through Tarcutta/Gundagai on the way back from Hay so will check it then.

2 Likes