‘Save Our Voices’ Campaign

Perth was approved for its 3rd commercial service well before regional aggregation was announced and the channel would have debuted earlier but the two incumbents dug their heels in to try and fight it off.

3 Likes

… exactly, yet stupid politicians trying to stay on side with Packer still blindly thought that regional could handle three …

In the mid 1980s the existing two Perth television stations were owned by Alan Bond and Robert Holmes à Court, weren’t they? Self interest would have been their only reason to delay a third station.

2 Likes

… of course it was self interest … people go into business to make money … but some idiot came up with the dopey idea that a population of 1 million was sufficient to allow three stations to be profitable which was demonstrably untrue as demonstrated by SAS10 in Adelaide nearly going broke twice before being taken over by TVW7 and TVQ0 in Brisbane only surviving on life-support from Reg Ansett … a far greater level of “self interest” came from Bob Hawke’s bestie Kerry Packer who wanted the third station in Perth so he could sell more programs there …

2 Likes

I think there was a comma missing after “TVW7”

1 Like

nope please re-read

i heard a story this week that pay TV channel Sky News are exploring the option of putting a camera and journalist into markets and doing a regional news program, probably something like what NINE are doing now for their “local” news which isn’t local, i wonder if there is any truth to this? MAybe Sky are not happy about being dropped by WIN. Could Sky go across to SCA?

I doubt it.the deal was with WIN TV and sky news Australia.and now WIN is going to be 9 afliate they don’t need snow. I think what you heard is wishful thinking

So what? Nothing is stopping Sky shopping itself around to other operators if WIN has cut it off now. And Southern Cross will be in need for putting out some local news coverage as it will no longer have the Nine connection.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me - what will be interesting is what they try to pursue in Northern NSW which was one the better-performing markets

1 Like

Dude, deals change all the time. If it was successful for Sky News then why wouldn’t they try with SCA?

3 Likes

Yeah . After posting that I did have a rethink about it.and yes as much as it pains me to say it . It would be good for sky news to go with sca

so would this be like sky news’s version of how 9 news local is statwide?

nobody knows, it’s hypothetical on top of hypothetical… just speculation at this point

3 Likes

was a proposal put to a dinner i was at on Friday evening with TV industry types. Maybe SCA should at least have a chat to SKY, I think you are right Jason, i would see it as a similar model to the 9 version.

1 Like

I’m pretty confident Sky and SCA will be talking already

1 Like

Yeah, SCA has no news resources, so they will need to outsource their updates, and potentially bulletins, at maybe 6-6:30. Sky will be without a regional partner after the WIN deal expires, so SCA would definitely take the money for a Sky News Channel (maybe called Sky News on 10 or Sky News Regional or Sky News Local).

There’s no real benefit for Sky News long term if they can’t spread their propaganda, so they’d be wanting a similar arrangement with their own linear channel more than being a provider of local news to SCA.

2 Likes

it wouldn’t be “Sky News on 10” because SCA would want to have it in all their markets including on VAST, those that are aligned with Seven and those that have all three networks. Just like SBN is.

It’s their ideal demo. Pastoral National voters and travelling grey nomads.

2 Likes