‘Save Our Voices’ Campaign

but say there’s 4 reporters in the region- and 1 has AL and another calls in sick… gotta fill the half hour somehow.

Yes and no. Netflix doesn’t offer Local News (at least not yet). WIN currently have an advantage here but they’d rather continue to chase the 70+ audience rather than a more social media driven/digital future audience for their News and programming and then cry poor me, when it was something they could try to stem.

3 Likes

win isn’t the only one either. 9 local news is the same

as I put in the mock thread. if win and 9 were really I mean really interested in local news 1) put it all online like youtube for example 2) collaborate with newspapers from the licence area. My example was: I live in Ballarat which is western VIC. Collaborate with the areas newspapers and get local news that way

Stick the bulletin on Youtube/Apps/Other social media or digital sources - collect 100% of revenue from the bulletin.

Stick the bulletin at 6pm, 10.30pm or wherever. Collect 2 or 3 sets of revenue from the bulletin rather than 1 - collect 50% of revenue, give the other 50% to your metro partner.

What’s missing in this whole campaign is how much revenue they’re giving to their metro partners. If the likes of Prime7 and WIN want to protect local news, then make the 6-7pm weekday hour exempt from this content sharing agreement and not make their product look like dog balls.

4 Likes

but in all honesty who watches news anyways?? ?. I know people from my generation and down don’t. i think there aiming for the wrong market anyways. i think the market is which has been already stated 65+. so I think this campaign won’t get the momentum needed and will be a fizzler untill they start fixing what is imo a very broken local news service esp win news and so-called 9 local news

… what’s “missing” from this entire conversation is any attachment to anything resembling reality … regional television are the pawns in this game of media politics and have absolutely no say about who gets what in the “content sharing agreement” … now, as it happens, I worked closely with Bruce for several years and kept in touch for a number of years after … he didn’t become a billionaire by adopting dopey ideas that have no way of making a quid … it’s called the “media business” for a reason … it’s a business, and sometimes you make business decisions that are not palatable to a few people along the way … unfortunately too many decisions today are made by people who, unlike Bruce, are totally clueless about media or broadcasting and those decisions are made with the aim of sucking up to politicians rather than audiences … sadly you can’t turn the clock back, but fiddling with local news on regional television is a dead end and the sooner people realise that, the sooner the business can be restored to some form of equilibrium …

3 Likes

Unless they get millions of views the cents of ad revenue won’t be worth it. And lets not forget the restrictions placed on channels and pages before they get any of those cents.

1 Like

Not doing anything about it makes it a hell of a lot easier to axe it in the future.

4 Likes

I was thinking more embedded advertising but relying on TV broadcast revenue alone is dangerous especially in the case of WIN. A weaker ad market plus being a Ten affiliate so weaker rate cards than Seven and Nine.

Let’s see if Metro Commercial Network 10 and Public/Commercial Broadcaster SBS can Merge their News Divisions to help Regional Services?

Does Ten and SBS have reporters outside of the state capitals and parliament house in Canberra? I don’t think they do, which would make it difficult for them to provide a regional news service.

1 Like

Not gonna happen.

4 Likes

Especially since SBS and Ten are worlds apart (no pun intended) when it comes to their mix of content, audience demographics, etc.

1 Like

Both have been used, but “our” would appear to be the correct name, so I’ll update.

3 Likes

So let’s say Prime7/GWN, WIN and SCA cut all their local news bulletins.

Perhaps it’s time for the ABC to step up to the plate and produce local news bulletins? Possibly funded by the commercial broadcasters if they’re too lazy to fund one themselves if theres no funding in the Federal Budget?

2 Likes

Please show me where the ABC will find funding for that.

7 Likes

Well in theory there is already ground to do this. Use your Local Radio Journalists, Rural Reporters, Digital Content Makers and Announcers to make content for TV News as VJs. Read the bulletins out of the closest Capital City ABC. Content can be shared across every ABC News TV and Online outlet.

1 Like

I believe it’s already been established previously that this isn’t possible because of the way ABC is relayed in each state, effectively there is no metro or regional feed in the main states which would make this possible.

4 Likes

You can’t deny that Bruce and WIN have probably been the slowest of any media companies in AU to adapt to a digital future. Probably a dopey move that will cost his company hundreds of millions in the future

2 Likes