Satellite TV Observations

They’ll probably be on IS-19 before the end of the year, assuming they’ll stay with TBS for the transition from Optus D2.

2 Likes

From what I read in Facebook yesterday all the stuff that currently broadcasts FTA on D2 started broadcasting on I19 in the last few days

I haven’t went outside and turned my dish that way to see what’s happening, but this guy’s reports seem to usually be pretty much on the money

5 Likes

Confirmed this morning the various Ethnic channels and radio channels are now also on Intelsat19
As seen I was listening to RAW FM this morning.

2 Likes

looks like i need a dish repoint from D2 than

Yeah apparently the D2 is been decommissioned as of next year sometime

2 Likes

What? Why? The D2 isn’t even that old.

That class of satellite has a design life of 15 years - its met its design life.

From what I understand Optus aren’t replacing it, so extending its life its not a great decision from a continuity shandpoint

From what I have read they plan to launch a new Sat called Optus 11 in 2023

EDITED INCORRECT INFORMATION about Sat Replacing D2
Correct info at: https://www.optus.com.au/about/media-centre/media-releases/2020/07/optus_set_to_launch_game_changing_new_satellite_in_2023

2 Likes

I thought it was replacing D1 at 160

2 Likes

Sorry I got my info mixed up, yes going to be at 160… Have edited my mistake

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the final mux from TBS. I believe they’re not technically dual illuminating until Nov 7. Also, I’ve heard some channels won’t be on IS-19 and others from SES may be moving to TBS.

1 Like

Just received word that SES is also moving their services to IS-19, starting dual illumination from Nov 15.

Going to become a little bit of a busier satellite with stuff moving from D2 over to it

Could be some money in helping people realign their dishes :thinking::wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

i need to get someone out to my place in brisbane to re-allign mine and i’m happy to pay for it

From what I can tell, IS-19 was under-utilised and has plenty of capacity for this.

1 Like

Well that would make sense

If only I lived in Brisbane and not Toowoomba

2 Likes

So sadly as of today the ABC & SBS TV and Radio channels on 12052v Optus D3 are now Irdeto Encrypted.
Not sure why or who now has the access but certainly a sad day for people like me who watch ABC News via D3, what’s worse is I even had a dedicated Sat Box for D3 because I could watch these channels.

I find it strange why they would encrypt these channels after all these years especially when the ABC is a government channel that is Australia wide.

3 Likes

That is a shame. Although they have switched from encrypted to free-to-air and vice versa several times since they were launched as part of Foxtel Digital in the early 00’s. In fact, the SBS channels were encrypted for many years up until recently.

I always thought the ABC (and recently SBS) channels were FTA because they weren’t legally allowed to be behind a paywall as they are public services? But I could be wrong about that. Any customers with barred or disconnected Foxtel accounts were still able to tune them while they were free, so perhaps Foxtel wanted to put a stop to that (again?)

2 Likes

Was that because ex-customers weren’t returning receivers? It might be a way of making customers return it if they were rendered totally useless.

2 Likes

One workaround is to get a Vast box. On vast the ABC / SBS channels are unlocked by default. Using a travellers rego you could also get commercial tv (the one downside is that travellers Regis expire after 6 months, but the upside is that I have the Victorian channels active here in Brisbane)

4 Likes