Regional TV History (pre-aggregation)

I agree. Nine was “Still the One” and was the top of the 3 networks, of course it would been more desirable given the ratings and premium ad rates it would attract. And a lot of regional channels pre-aggregation carried plenty of Nine product.

3 Likes

I’m not saying they wouldn’t have been pleased. I think there would have been a sigh of relief from NBN owners , Washington H. Soul Pattinson, when WIN didn’t secure NRTV ownership around the time of the RTQ/DDQ takeover and the outcome for QTV.

I think it was fairly obvious that NRTV had little interest in linking itself with Seven given that there was very little Seven content in the station from 1987 onward ( A Country Practice, Beyond 2000, The Golden Girls and a few kids shows like Wombat). From station open til 11am were channel 10 programs then channel 9 sourced programs through to the 6pm (except the occasion channel 7 or 10 children’s program)

NBN TV was the only northern NSW channel pre-aggregation that had a genuine mix of programs from all three commercial metro stations, although only a handful of shows like Dallas from channel 10, Perhaps it was a way of demonstrating the strong opposition NBN TV had to aggregation of regional markets.

In reality, we would have ended up with the same model and outcomes regardless of which model they used for aggregation.

2 Likes

Question re: the Navy anthem film shown on many stations (I’ve counted 3 different edits on YT)…where in Sydnay was the band filmed? In the version aired on Vision TV shown in a previous post, the camera zooms out to show the Opera House in the background…

1 Like

Agree, whilst most operators like NBN wanted only one supplementary licence eg. a 2nd NBN station on UHF in the Newcastle region, eventually they all would have had to take on a 3rd licence and all become more or less 7, 9 and 10 relays with most of the regional licences being owned by Prime, SCA or WIN (a bit like what we see in radio with nearly all regional radio stations being owned by SCA, ARN or Super Radio Network).

2 Likes

The location would place it in Kirribilli - my best educated guess would be at Kirribilli Point, on the foreshore in front of Admiralty House, the Governor-General’s residence in Sydney. The form of the anthem used there (first and last bars) is actually the vice-regal salute* now, which probably adds credence to that idea.

Yet looking at the anthem clip you speak of, the angle doesn’t seem quite right for that and they may have done it further along the Kirribilli foreshore, closer to the bridge. Certainly along that strip of shore though.

* whether it was at the time is another matter, depending on when it was taken - we did have the brief period under Whitlam ('74-'76) where the anthem was changed, then changed back, but it is possible it was a mid-70s reel. It’s not like AAF disappeared under Fraser, given it was more-or-less given “national song” (rather than “anthem”) status after the plebescite.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Old Australian dramas re-runs

It’s the bottom of Jeffreys St - you can see the ferry wharf in the back of the shot. That whole area would have looked very different before the harbour tunnel was built.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the place I was thinking it was because of the wharf, but wasn’t entirely sure. Thank you.

2 Likes

This was posted on the Lost Newcastle Facebook group overnight.

13 Likes

The ABC was in Sale Street for many years, but not in the building pictured.

2 Likes

“NBN, We’re with you!” (1983)

21st Anniversary ID (1983). ‘Now we’re 21’ had been used by TVW-7 in 1980.

6 Likes

WIN Nightly News Illawarra - Thursday 21/1/1988 with Mary Franks, Ross McAlear and Ross Warren

7 Likes

Not enough WINs on that backdrop, me thinks.

3 Likes

Imagine if they were all Mappys!!!

WIN Illawarra - September 1986

PRGs:

Promo Endtags:

Ident:

TV Time Checks:

CSA:

Sunday Night Movie with Bill Collins break bumper:

Sunday Night Movie with Bill Collins outro:

8 Likes

Wow WIN,s original cover up, if you can call it that!

2 Likes

Epic fail by the graphics department there.

2 Likes

WIN-4 1984

Stereo Television Ident:

Top 40 Television Ident:

Your Olympic Network Station Promo:

Lineups:

Top 40 Television Promo:

Saturday Movie Bumper:

PRG:

WIN TV Nightly News Promo:

News Opener/Titlecards:

8 Likes

That logo looks nice in those bright colours.

But “Top 40 Television”? :thinking: Sounds like a slogan only MTV should use.

1 Like

‘Suntastic WIN’ sounds like something they would use during the Summer break.

1 Like