Regional TV History (pre-aggregation)

RTS-5A PRG from 1984, very much ‘no frills’ presentation :stuck_out_tongue:

Source: https://archive.org/details/eureka-stockade-rts-5a-may-1984

10 Likes

What a find! There are some It’s A Knockout videos from 1986 taped off the wonderful 5A with a similar PRG.

1 Like

Video courtesy of Flemishdog, doing some fantastic work on the Internet Archive

https://archive.org/details/@flemishdog

6 Likes

He’s posted some other stuff from 5A in recent weeks, though not quite dating back as far (more the late 80s). The PRG was a little more sophisticated by then.

2 Likes

With NBN farewelling its heritage studios in Mosbri Crescent this week, just a little flashback to a TV Times article profiling the station in 1979

And from TV Week when the station celebrated 20 years in 1982

13 Likes

the background of that ID also appears to have been taken from TV 2 in New Zealand

YouTube: Sony Trinitron

5 Likes

This background was a relatively common sight around the world in the 1980s and '90s. Here are some examples from the U.S., Hong Kong, and Thailand (via on old post by LTSC1980 on the now-defunct TV Forum):

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a Cascom effects background. Those Cascom templates were very commonly used throughout the 80s, especially on TV stations in Regional Australia. Some examples of idents that used those templates:

5 Likes

They were futuristic at the time too

2 Likes

Indeed. Here’s their 1990 demo reel featuring this animation and many others:

7 Likes

A snippet of regional news from Southern Cross Network (GLV8) in April 1989, surrounding the hunt and later capture of fugitive NSC chief John Friedrich.

This clip begins with a live cross via Ten News with David Johnston to reporter Allan Russell in Geraldton which was inserted into the Southern Cross Network News bulletin, with the regional news bulletin then leading into the (delayed) relay of National Nine News from Melbourne.

YouTube: kylegalley

9 Likes

“…rain tomorrow and a yucky 20”. Don’t think I’ve heard “yucky” used in a news bulletin before. Love that they used the resources of Ten in the local bulletin and crossed to Nine for the national news.

2 Likes

Celine Foenander, now that’s a name I haven’t heard for a while. The last I saw her she was a summer fill in for WIN News in Victoria. I couldn’t help but notice that her blouse was rubbing up against the lapel mic while she was doing weather.

3 Likes

She presented mornings on ABC Radio Gippsland for awhile after leaving WIN.

Don’t know what she’s up to now.

4 Likes

Media and Communications Manager at Latrobe Regional Hospital.

4 Likes

Win 4 is what got me into dxing when i was in primary school back in the 80’s.

I was fiddling around with the old family tv and happened to get a very weak black and white snowy signal, I remember Ace was the very first show I saw on Win4.

Living at Oatley then and having the tv antenna pointing north towards Sydney we only got it in colour and with sound when tropo occurred, it was still very snowy though.
This was my first experience of tropo, and on hot days I would always try to see if I could watch win4.

NBN3 would also come in with tropo too but the Sydney community radio stations only allowed me to receive.a picture of NBN 3 but no sound, the sound was of the community radio stations over the top.

The two ABC 5a’s from Newcastle and Wollongong would also be received but would have horizontal lines across the screen because of the CCI.

Also back in the 80’s ABC tv in Canberra was on channel 3 too. I remember listening to the audio of live and Sweaty on the car radio driving through Canberra to the snow. I once even picked up the audio carrier of ABC Tv Canberra on 91.75 from Oatley during a strong tropo opening.

When I got my first tv in my bedroom with rabbits ears I was able to receive Win4 in Oatley almost as good as the Sydney stations but by then they were switching over to UHF so reception was only Short lived.

The WIN4 reception. From Knights into Sydney was so good it was far better received then UHf59.

What was its original specs?
I am assuming that it came from the old Win tower, did ABC5A also come from the same tower as Win4?

4 Likes

While on this topic what is everyone’s memories of their long distance pre-aggregation dxing catches on VHF?

For me from Oatley other then Win 4, NBN 3, and ABC 5A (Newcastle / Wollongong ) I would receive Prime ECN 8 with rabbits ears with extreme tropo.

Canberra ABC 3 was only received through my hifi with the indoor fm antenna going up my wall.

2 Likes

For me, I’ve witnessed the following here in Newcastle on antennas only designed for Newcastle or Sydney reception.

ECN-8 Taree (also received on rabbit ears)
WIN-4 Wollongong
NRN-11 Coffs Harbour

And once, TVNZ from New Zealand on VHF-0!

3 Likes

WIN4 and ABWN5A were off seperate towers at Knights Hill. They were 600m apart. The WIN tower was the smaller of the two. 4 had an ERP of 200kw and 5A had an ERP of 100kw, both had directional antenna’s. Given that Illawarra FM can be received via tropo along the Coffs Coast, there is no doubt that the WIN4 signal would have made it that far north too under the right conditions.

3 Likes

Yes I do remember TVNZ too, received it a couple of times but it was through our main tv antenna never through rabbits ears.

Analogue VHF was so good for dxing, miss the SpE NZ reception into Sydney.

1 Like