Regional Radio Ratings

It’s not surprising. 1 FM CHR and 1 AM Classic Hits station is hardly a comprehensive offering for an area of about 100,000 people.

Looking at the ratings on the older demographics in more detail, the “Other Stations” scored an overwhelming 25% share in the 40-54s, 32.7% in the 55-64s & 30.7% in the 65+, outrating 2WG in all cases. From what I understand, 2AAA targets an older audience, so it provides a popular alternative to that of 2WG.

Maybe 2WG would have a better result if they were on FM? Not sure why they never went to FM and why Wagga only has 1 commercial FM station when Dubbo has two, despite it being a (slightly) smaller market.

Yes, Wagga Wagga,Tamworth & Lismore are the 3 that stand out when it comes to centres that maybe should have a 3rd licence & I’m sure they are all bigger markets than the Orange market & about the same size as the Dubbo market.

3 Likes

@Moe
Yes I completely agree! It is infuriating in a market like Maryborough/Hervey Bay in QLD where the original AM service is now a Racing station with no local content while SCA run the FM duopoly. That market has 3 licenced commercial stations yet only 2 are operating that way.

1 Like

Yes, so true mate. One other place is Darwin, I could never understand why a place the size of Darwin never had the 3rd or 4th.

Well 8DN had its licence cancelled in 1992, so had that not happened, there may still have been 3 commercial radio stations in Darwin today.

1 Like

Wollongong is another market that could do with at least 1 more commercial station, especially considering that its 2 commercial radio stations compete with one another as opposed to being owned by the same company like in most other regional markets, resulting in both i98 & Wave sounding very similar to one another. Yes, it’s right next door to Sydney, but then again, the Central Coast, which is only slightly bigger than Wollongong, can manage to have 3 commercial radio stations (2 x SCA; 1 x Nova Ent) and yet they’re right in-between Sydney & Newcastle.

2 Likes

they do… Territory thinks they’re commercial and act as a quasi-commercial, and hence why they should have their licence taken from them. Community my arse.

It’s Central Queensland’s (Rockhampton & Gladstone) turn to have their radio ratings released: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/CENTRAL-QUEENSLAND-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.PDF

Hot FM (soon to be Hit) is the #1 station with 28.8%, followed by sister station Sea FM (soon to be Triple M) with 24.4%. ABC Capricornia was 3rd with 14%, followed by JJJ with 6.7%. AM stations 4RO & 4CC could only manage 5.8% & 4.6% respectively.

Hot is #1 in the under-40s, with Sea #1 in the 40-64s & ABC Capricornia #1 in the 65+. 4CC outrates 4RO in the under-65s, whilst 4RO is well ahead of 4CC in the 65+, which the latter is also beaten by Sea in that demographic.

1 Like

Next stop is Mildura: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/MILDURA-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.PDF

Star FM (soon to be hit99.5) is the #1 station with a 38.8% share. Interestingly, coming in a rather distant 2nd place was Grant-owned AM station River 1467, who scored an 18.4% share ahead of Sun FM (soon to be Triple M 97.9) with 15.9%, followed by ABC Mildura-Swan Hill at 12.7%. In the demographics, Star is #1 in the under-55s, whilst River is #1 in the 55+, with ABC Mildura-Swan Hill at 2nd place.

I thought it was rather unusual to see a commercial AM station being #2 ahead of an adult-formatted commercial FM station. Then again, River does have a ‘classic hits’ format in contrast to Sun FM’s ‘Greatest Hits’ format.

That is unusual. Great work River.

2 Likes

I was very surprised to read that River beat Sun.

Given they are both predominantly music stations but on different bands, it would be akin to Magic outrating WS/Gold/97,3 in Syd/Melb/Bris.

Quite unusual indeed!!

If you look at the breakdowns Breakfast & Mornings was a big winner for River 1467 thanks to the popularity of Neil Mitchel i’d say.

According to their website, no they don’t.

Yeah I just looked that up myself, Corrected

From memory they did up until the end of 2015/start of 2016. Only station in VIC to take the Hadley/Jones highlights combo.

1 Like

Hobart has their radio ratings released today, the 2nd time Xtra Insights has done ratings for that market, which was previously surveyed in late 2014: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/HOBART-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.PDF

936 ABC Hobart maintains its position as the #1 station with 20.8%, despite going down 3.3% from the previous 2014 survey. Hit100.9 is the #1 commercial station with 18.2%, up 4.7% from the previous survey (when it was Sea FM), with 7HOFM down to the #2 commercial station spot with 16.3%, although its audience share increased by 0.9%. Heart 107.3 (soon to be Triple M) went up 2% to 13.9%, followed by JJJ with 12.1% (down 1.8%).

In the demographics, hit100.9 is #1 in the under-40s, with 7HOFM #1 in the 40-54s & 936 ABC is #1 in the 55+.

2 Likes

Here’s a rather interesting market to get surveyed, which is Geelong: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GEELONG-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.PDF

774 ABC is #1 with a 10.3% share, with the #1 local commercial going to Bay 93.9 with a 9.6% share, followed by K Rock with 8.9%. In the demographics, K Rock is #1 with the under-40s, whilst Bay wins the 40-54s & 774 ABC winning the 55+.

The Melbourne stations are not listed, but the Other Stations scored a whopping 63.4% overall!!

1 Like

Shocking result for Grants.