Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Might be stereo in Sydney but it ain’t Stereo going over the Sat which is how delivery is to 2BS and the rest of the SRN network. Myself and the Toowoomba manager have be trying our best to get the AM feed on the Sat switched from Dual Mono to Stereo with the amount of FM translator’s now in the network and with possibly more AM to FM to happen in the future.

8 Likes

An interesting article on Radioinfo, in which the WIN newsroom closures in Central West, Riverina, Albury & Wide Bay does not affect its radio stations, i98 & C91.3.

From the article:

Commenting on condition of anonymity, several WIN insiders told radioinfo that the company’s radio stations are doing well in both revenue and ratings, while the tv operation is not.

“Those news rooms are closing because they DON’T have a radio station to financially prop them up,” commented one source.

“WIN Wollongong is hemorrhaging money. Their 6pm news has often xxxxx viewers, yet i98 will get more than that with a facebook video taken on an iPhone… i98 is breaking records financially and in audience cume, year on year - yet there is massive cost-cutting,” said another source.

“5 years ago - xxxxx a night was seen as a bad night… now xxxxx is a good night,” one source informed us about the tv ratings figures, also telling us the the switch of network affiliation has hurt revenue. “Clients regionally still don’t get it - they buy yearly packages with 9, thinking it’s still WIN.”

Read more at: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/no-impact-radio-win-newsroom-closures

Censored figures can be seen on the article.

2 Likes

I spent a little time listening to 4AM Mareeba during my recent visit to Cairns. I was impressed with the laid back rural presentation and song selection. Al Kirton at NQ Radio has got it right with his stations; he’s also a bit DX-orientated as the 5055 kHz tx for 4KZ demonstrates.

5 Likes

Since 4AM can be heard into Cairns like a local station, it’s a good alternative to the Cairns-based SCA & Grant stations, whose music playlists are hubbed from a central location (SCA from Gold Coast; Grants from Sunshine Coast).

3 Likes

What’s the local coverage of 5055 kHz like up there? It’s an NVIS style array.

Al is a real enthusiast and many of his staff similar.

Would be good if their sister station, 8HA set up SW to plug the hole (again inexpensively via NVIS array) left by the ABC shutting down SW at nearby Roe Creek.

2 Likes

I only tried it once, in a very noisy apartment, and couldn’t hear it. Most of the signal would be ‘skipping over’ at night. I think it only commences at 1500 AEST and switches off shortly after daybreak.

The optimal coverage zone probably lies a few hundred ks from Innisfail, i.e. the more remote parts of the tropical north which is ostensibly where he’s aiming for.

1 Like

Agree, it doesn’t respond well to high EMF as noted in urban and rural areas from Darling Downs, SE Qld down the NSW coast to Nowra and Central West NSW.

Yes, as NVIS do, I imagine a hose turned on, nozzle vertical and watching the grass wet well beyond the nozzle but not close to it.

When I was listening closer in 2018, had been noticing it switching off at midnight local time.

Thanks again!

2LT Lithgow celebrated 80 years of broadcasting over the weekend.

Story at Radioinfo: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/2lt-marks-80-years-broadcasting

2 Likes

According to their Facebook, C91.3’s Josh and Lyndal had their final breakfast show last Friday with a replacement to be announced shortly.

I’m tipping Christian & Bella will takeover the shift.

… if only it were WIN “renewing the strategy” of C91.3 and actually offering a point of difference to South West Sydney radio. They could go classic rock & have Cranney at Breakfast …

3 Likes

I agree. Sydney & surrounding areas already has enough Top 40-skewed stations as it is, although having said that, at least unlike with i98 & Wave FM in Wollongong, C91.3 does play a broader variety of music.

In fact, I might compare C91.3 with the two Wollongong stations, as well as with 2Day, in the more relevant thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They should pick a strong format instead of their all things to all people under 45.

Camplins got it right in the crowded market of the Central West where three markets worth of signals across the three main towns. Picking rock a perfect claiming of territory against the hotter CHR of Kiss/1079/Move and the more conservative hot AC of Star/Hit over the years.

There are not many brainy leaders let alone vision within the WIN radio division. Marty on their bfast is what Jones is to GB, they would be one of the pack without him and no decent talent development strategy.

3 Likes

When C91.3 first went to air in August 2001, it had a format that was bordering towards classic rock, which was a bit different from 2MMM (who had largely dropped classic rock from their playlist by that point), 2Day, Nova, 96.1/The Edge & WS. With its positioner at the time being “The Biggest Variety of Rock & Pop”, the 2001-04 era of C91.3 was their best IMHO. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

According to their website, former one-half of C91.3’s previous breakfast team, Josh Webster, is now doing drive.

2 Likes

What is the arrangement with EON using the old SeaFM logo and not updating it? Is it a similar arrangement to Mix106.3 Canberra?

I know it’s not a joint venture but you would’ve thought they’d change the Sea logo at some point to either be different or to be updated with the others.

2 Likes

Move FM 99.5 & 2LT 101.1 Katoomba (NSW) FM transmitters are OFF-AIR again.
Wonder what the cause is this time?

BACK ON @ 5.21pm

1 Like

Maybe some sneezed to close to them, I tell you they are so unreliable.

1 Like

They can hardly blame supercell storms at this time of year. Though perhaps the incessant sunshine has something to do with it.

2 Likes

I rang them around 3pm and told them that they were off air, they had no idea that anything was wrong as usual.
Obviously no one is listening to these stations other then us on media spy.
They need to invest in some off air monitoring.

5 Likes

Good on you :slight_smile: Thank you.

Not necessarily…could just be the general societal malaise & apathy at play.
People notice the dead air & switch to another channel or medium.

Yes they should. I’m sure any good engineer would like to do that. Whether the owner wants to empty his pockets for the equipment is another matter. Who knows? But be cheaper buying the equipment rather than paying the engineer OT for the many recalls to rectify the service (assuming the management would pay for recalls that for that service?)

2 Likes

Speaking SEA FM Logos, Look at Tassie’s

https://www.seafmtas.com.au/