Regional Radio (non-SCA)

That makes sense then why they were off air. At 2pm 96.1 was on air but Move and 2LT were not back on air. When I rang and told the receptionist at 3pm she did not know, and got off the phone very quickly to pass on the information.
I have spoken to this lady before and she has been across the numerous storm outages over the past couple of Summers.

I wonder if 2LT had an engineer on site yesterday, because 2LT /Move Fm took a long time to come back on air after 96.1.

2 Likes

And external marketing.

But they won’t until ACMA amend their specs to rival 2ONE within the Lithgow boundaries.

Off air alams, telemetry for TX fail/faults is not that expensive. Many struggling community stations have made such investments.

That’s the RG Capital expansionist era adaptation of the 1989 original 4SEA logo. The pink wave device was tweaked and the market name added.

@RFBurns - so 2ONE remained on air? Lithgow translators in an unfortunate location when maintenance is required?

I’m not 100%, but 96.1 was probably on reduced power, but stayed on, considering it’s their site & it’s the main service.

Move & 2LT are only translator services, & much lower power to start with. Probably easier just to turn the TX’s off than reduce power to something that might have been receivable for a few km’s?
That would also allow 96.1 to be at a slightly higher reduced power, as the resultant (additive) RF radiation with 2LT & Move off would be less.

Maybe the tower works were at the 2LT/Move antenna level, but it was safe to work with 96.1 at low power higher up the tower? Was 96.1 off air at all?

4 Likes

Good calculation to read up and learn more, thank you.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s that time of year again! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would’ve posted the following in the “Wollongong Radio” thread, but I already made too many posts in a row without anyone else posting since, so this thread will have to do for now.

According to Radioinfo, i98FM in Wollongong will continue to be a media sponsor for the Illawarra Hawks NBL team for the 2019-20 season, as well as the official Hawks player partner for American basketball sensation, LaMelo Ball, who signed with the Hawks earlier this year.

The station, along with its parent owner WIN, have a long history with the Hawks, having been a media partner for 15 years.

1 Like

Has WIN ever televised a Hawks game?

I don’t think they ever did.

1 Like

According to their website, MoveFM’s positioner has changed to “hits” that make you move.

It used to be “music” that makes you move.

2 Likes

Shuffle the deck chairs why don’t they!

1 Like

Sounds very similar to the The Edge 96.1 old positioner Hits that move you!!
I wonder what ARN will think of this??

2 Likes

MoveFM was around before ARN made that positioner.

3 Likes

Will ARN think at all?

3 Likes

Today marks 1 year since 6MM in Mandurah converted to FM as The Wave.

5 Likes

It’s been a great year for them.

The best new format introduced on Australian radio for a very long time.

Wave fills the gaps that the Perth signals don’t fill.

John and Squinty were clever enough to skew female, knowing 96 would go back to its roots at some point, which it has.

In their survey, they added 5% overall local share and removed the in balance between their two stations.

Most likely have reached more useful clients rather than being down the younger end of the spending demos solely on Coast.

Been a great year.

5 Likes

I’d like to think that other conversions could be as equally successful in terms of stations effectively re-inventing themselves, something tells me by and large that won’t happen.

2 Likes

Seven West Media is selling off Spirit & Red FM stations in WA for $28 million.

2 Likes

… to SCA (in a “non-SCA” thread).

1 Like

Interesting. That will mean SCA will have to divest one of the stations in Bunbury, as they will own 3 (Triple M, Hit & Spirit).

6 Likes

The deal will expand SCA’s WA footprint. How many stations will SCA own across the state?