Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Great news!

That’s great news and is a blocking manoeuvre to 2GZ/Triple M Orange.

Of course, the Orange Caralis licence, the former AM site of 2GZ, now known as 2EL is cleverly positioned at the Bathurst end of the Orange licence area in Forest Reefs, just over the railway line from Millthorpe - a town worth a visit if on hols, great cellar door there too - Angullong Wines.

To not have SCA buy Bathurst Broadcasters is a great thing.

For Hadley to no longer have 2BS in his ‘glory list’, the icing on the cake.

2 Likes

I guess that means other SRN personalities like Brent Bultitude and Graeme Gilbert will be heard on 2BS from today?

And that B-Rock will keep it’s name and take plenty of the NEW FM hub programming too?

Less chance of 2BS going stereo now too, particularly compared to if SCA had bought it.

Same with RDS for both stations.

1 Like

2SM’s feed for John Laws is Stereo. But I doubt it would be in stereo on 2BS.

Can anyone with access to 2BS confirm whether they’re taking Chris Smith or Brent Bultitude this afternoon?

If it’s an ownership change, then geez this one happened quite quickly!

1 Like

I’ve just checked & 2BS is still carrying Chris Smith.

2 Likes

Radioinfo has confirmed that 2BS/B-Rock has been sold to Broadcast Operations Group.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/end-era-2bs-and-b-rock-sold-caralis

1 Like

The Camplins also own 50% of RSN Ballarat 1314 AM, with Kevin Blyton owning the other half. I wonder if Caralis has also bought this station?

1 Like

We can either ring the office or await the control register to update.

Can’t see Capital selling their 50% here

1 Like

Baffling waste of a license - surely they can wrangle an HPON for RSN and put a proper station in the market?

3 Likes

Nothing baffling about it.

Janet, Ron, Kev and all their families know each other. They came to each other’s aid to prevent real competition in Ballarat despite Janet’s duo having the FM advantage.

What surprises me is that they haven’t done it in more markets between themselves.

Contact Stephanie to find out what her and Ron will do with the JV - she wears the pants.

Exactly, RSN are a reliable leasee.

1 Like

What a bullshit reason, that’s tantamount to collusion

1 Like

Of course it is, but ACMA are never going to do anything. Another case of the regulator in bed with the people they are regulating. A protection racket.

1 Like

Welcome to commercial radio in Australia. They’ve been protecting each since well before the days of lobbying to prevent commercial FM licences.

Plus, this has worsened with the ACMA now only checking engineering plans instead of commissioning them, they’ve cost shifted to licensees to do their own RF planning and then submit to them. FM conversion process, FM translator process (4WK, 2HD and others) are two examples.

Hence the Mexican standoff on Brisbane/Gold Coast digital radio, ACMA are bereft of much overdue leadership on this and let the licensees drag out negotiations instead of leading by making a decision and the licensees needing to accept what the regulator decides.

2 Likes

I was driving up to the Kurrajong Heights DTV site this morning & thought I’d scan around the AM band on the drive.
When I got to 900kHz tuned into 2LT (just on the east side of Richmond), to find music playing (around 9:30am), upon finding this, I stopped scanning & kept listening until I arrived at site, as I was enjoying it, (possibly too much).

It was live & local with a jock playing music on 2LT after 9am on a weekday, & I wondered what happened with Hadley, (especially after the 2BS & Lawsy change yesterday)?

Luckily I found out before turning off, that due to the snow in Lithgow this morning, they couldn’t get Hadley’s Satellite feed, but were hoping to have it back after the 11am News, (either the snow was melting or someone climbed up & cleared the snow off the satellite dish?).

It was so unexpected, but refreshing & fantastic, to have good music (Classic Hits), & being live & local, on an AM Regional station of a weekday morning, thank-you soooo much to the snow, & well done 2LT, shame it can’t be like that all the time.

7 Likes

That might have explained why 101.1 FM Katoomba was off air this morning, if there satellite was out.

1 Like

With 2BS/B-Rock sold to Caralis, 2LT will provide a more “Classic Hits” option for people in Bathurst, as well as to those in Western Sydney who can pick it up via 101.1FM from Katoomba as an alternative to WS & Smooth. However, outside of breakfast, the only times they play “Classic Hits” on weekdays is between 3 & 8pm, so for music, 2LT is only listenable on late afternoon/early evenings. Likewise on Saturday mornings until 1pm during the NRL season.

Compared to 2ST (and 2NM, who shares the same log), 2LT now plays the most “classic hits” of any regional commercial station within listenable distance of Sydney.

1 Like

Good to hear on a day when they should be local to provide local weather updates and road conditions.

Snow closed the road to Oberon from Jenolan Caves and the through route to the Southern Tablelands (Goulburn) was closed earlier.

Good to see they didn’t try panelling the breaks themselves from the GB webstream.

John McEvoy should consider the benefit of saving the cost of Hadley and running a local shift instead.

Has anyone listened to BRock or BS to hear if they’re running local updates in the Camplin style now they’re in their first week of missives from the faux RSL of Pyrmont?

1 Like

This is amusing, note the 2019 milestone:

https://www.2bs.com.au/about-2bs/

Ron didn’t make it to September for his 50 years of ownership.

A good reminder not to record milestones before they happen.

Currently, Steve Price continues on 2BS and local voicetracking on B Rock with the pre fed bulletin airing at 10pm. Going to be quite different when the 80’s to now NEW FM feed inevitably begins.

6 Likes

The Owners of 2LT/Move FM better not let Caralis buy the Station, I Prefer Grant Broadcasters to buy it.

1 Like