Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Further update, just rang 2LT on the number that was posted further up this thread and spoke to the receptionist to advise her of the now better signal at my location in NW Sydney.

She advised that they are still doing upgrade works at the Wentworth Falls site and have been hampered all along by council approval. Next priority she said is to get the site digital, which she implied would get the broadcast to the same quality as what is coming out of Mt Lambie, really looking forward to that happening.

4 Likes

That’s good that the receptionist knew what was going on there.

I half expected her/him to say that she/he had no idea, and would need to follow it up with the engineers.

2 Likes

Mandurah

6MM officially converted to FM, on air as 91.7 The Wave.

I missed the official midnight on air moment where The Wave program most likely replaced the 6MM program on air. Looking at their great website (well done Nick Morgan and team), it seems it simply began at TOH.

First on air voices

Nothing special at 6am, ad break, network news, traffic report then first break of Daniel Gunn and Ali Hill ‘Gunners and Ali’ who did discuss the conversion, their move from Coast to Wave and acknowledging the close to 15 years of Peter Jackson on 6MM bfast who you can hear from midday today (10am - 2pm WST).

Surprised considering it’s a ‘new station’ rather than continuing 6MM on FM, so there was no launch production package as such. Or speech from board chairman or the like as was done for 6MM.

Quite a music intensive bfast show, currently 8:36am there and straight back to music (Corey Hart, Sunglasses at night) after the weather and who can water their gardens today update. As little talk as Smooth or perhaps less?

Music format

Considering what choices are available from Perth, the format is a good alternative to the older FM formats such as 94, 96 or 6IX. The music is upbeat. Imaging voice heard most is Anna Blatch, there are some promos with her and a male.

Here’s what they played at midnight (official conversion time):
https://www.917thewave.com.au/on-air/played/?date=2018-10-01&hour=00

And in the 8am hour:
https://www.917thewave.com.au/on-air/played/?date=2018-10-01&hour=08

After a news update at 8:40 WST, they went to more music.

Acknowledgment on air

Now at 0851 WST the bfast team are thanking the team, board of directors (no names mentioned), PD John De Bellis and the other off air staff production and technical who made it happen (again unfortunately, no names mentioned).

There was a promo vehicle cross round the bottom of the hour which was full of wave puns, quite amusing.

AM/FM conversion

On the overnight listening (somewhat brief), didn’t hear any promos reminding the audience to tune to FM 91.7 (remember it can be heard on AM 1116 for 28 days), nor today. Perhaps they’re making a clean break which I can understand. There is a cold read notice by the male imaging voice talent that is airing during bfast. As of 1 November, no AM signal it mentions.

AM/FM conversion feedback

I notice on the FB pages that there’s some public whinging of the axing of the garden show, I guess it didn’t convert to FM as they’re trying to leave the older AM format behind (of course much older formats such as 4CRB have gardening on FM, but they need a younger audience older than the Coast audience for ad revenue).

The level of awareness online seems low, those who complain are outside the FM coverage area who enjoy the fantastic ground wave of the AM 1116 signal from the swamp beside the lake behind Mandurah. I read of a female from Busselton who is a 6MM listener and a bloke working on a boat, 25 nautical miles off the coast of Lancelin who says he can’t receive anything on FM.

Another from Pinjarra commented that 6MM was difficult to receive. Would love to know what EMF is in that town, the town centre is 6.8 - 6.9km away. Very strange for a 2kW OD service so close to have problems.

6MM seems to have suffered the problem of great out of licence area coverage in non built up areas with EMF but suffers where the licence audience base is and the fact that station pair, 97.3 is on FM along with the Perth FM signals that comprise the bulk of the metro survey share.

Format feedback

Interestingly, those who complained or were concerned on social media mentioned how much they loved the gardening show (try ABC Perth or Bunbury for that) and talkback shows.

The only talkback shows I can see is Alan Jones at 10am weekdays, the one hour syndicated program. Considering what the Queensland Supreme Court thought of his defence of 76 defamatory imputations, any station worth their salt should remove that show on moral grounds alone. Why be associated with that?

Memory of radio coverage

Of course, times change and it’s been 23 years since I’ve been over there but I do remember my own frustration with the then sole commercial program from Radio West played all over Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Albany and Bunbury, so reaching Busselton for a few days was great with the AC format from 6MM booming across the water and the two Geraldton FM signals coming in during the afternoon (least when I noticed them) thanks to what I now know as an adult is ducting.

North of Lancelin where the fisherman complained of losing FM signal on his boat, I visited Jurien Bay and Cervantes to see the Pinnacles, I recall 6MM being on air in local businesses and being amazed, went to car and noticed I could receive it too. Perth FM signals were not available there then (unsure if still the case, let us know if you know). In those years, they would’ve had the choice of 96 or one of the FMs off the analogue satellite service for TV as I discovered at my first night in WA at Madura on the Nullarbor but no one seemed to be using that in businesses.

Bfast: day 1

I’m not too sure on the reasoning of the bfast scheduling, very low number of talk breaks. It’s not a public holiday there, surely they’d want to introduce audience to the new team and have them chat or simply more local content which should be the idea of commercial radio in Mandurah: local what’s on that clients wouldn’t pay for on the Perth stations.

Day shifts

Bfast team said goodbye around 9:50 WST and that Peter Jackson would be up next. However, listening to the station whilst making lunch, yet to hear him thirty minutes into his shift. Over one hour now and quite a few aborted starts to songs, with a promo and then a song in full. Block of ads played at twenty to. The playlist on the website is not updating, so the music is not running via the usual process.

Perhaps the company took the opportunity to upgrade studio hardware or software and are having a problem? There were a few slight gaps during bfast which you might think is a panelling problem if new software/hardware is used.

The main thing is, music is ticking over, ads are playing and the breakfast team made it to air. It’s day one and ahead of any external marketing campaign, there’s likely the current 6MM audience listening and not many day one ‘samplers’.

Good opportunity to sample the music.

7 Likes

Rest of day - Mandurah

First I heard an announcer after bfast was Peter Jackson about 1:20pm WST.

He hadn’t been to air for most of his shift due to the studio problems. No mention of what happened in his final 40 mins. Keeping positive and a good opportunity to sample the music.

Peter Rowe did seem to be on air for his four hours until 6pm WST.

There’s a refreshing lack of current music, the most recent I could see was Duffy’s Mercy from 2008.

Perhaps it’s the lack of revenue from being on AM and the very light ad inventory, the station is very low clutter, so there’s a lot of music with not much else going on. No workday tactic, no link to bfast besides the $5 note.

No solicit for phoners, no callers on air and certainly no guests or talk topics.

It’s good in a way, great to sample the new music format but would like some more ‘lights switched on’ in the station, more local info, advertiser supported to fill it out.

1 Like

Just looked at their playlist on their website & it’s interesting to see The Wave continuing to air the “70s @ 7” at 7-8pm WST, which has long been airing on 6MM. It’s probably the only commercial FM station anywhere in Australia to air a dedicated 70s music program in 2018.

As for the playlist in general, it’s interesting to note that The Wave, as an FM station, plays far less newer music than when it was still broadcasting on AM as 6MM. From a Perth radio listeners perspective, it would be quite a decent alternative to Mix 94.5 & 96fm.

2 Likes

Look at last week’s format on 6MM before it rolls off being available to view for comparison.

I don’t see anything from the last decade on The Wave’s first day.

It’s a great playlist of upbeat oldies. Hopefully the tempo isn’t reduced once bedded in like many stations do.

There’s all the recurrents and ‘lost classics’ you would hear sprinkled through other stations.

Wave’s format is far more focussed than 6MM, which I could never work out what the purpose was on AM.

Just looking at some of the playlists for 91.7 The Wave, it seems to be sailing very close to the format of 2XL/2GN/3GG over east. This would make it my station of choice whilst in South Wet WA.***

***Typo intentional; we’d be stuffed if the West seceded right now!

1 Like

Very interesting tracks played on Mandurah’s FM conversion 91.7 The Wave:

Looking For Love - Karen Ramirez

Missing - Everything But The Girl

Lily Was Here - David Stewart and Candy Dulfer

Great chill out tracks.

This is what Steely Dan tracks they’ve been playing in just two days:

• Reeling In The Years

From [Can’t Buy a Thrill]

Kid Charlemagne

From [The Royal Scam]

Hey Nineteen

From [Gaucho]

Rikki Don’t Lose That Number

From [Pretzel Logic]

Do It Again

From [Can’t Buy a Thrill]

But what track is missing?

It’s the obvious - FM ‘no static at all’.

Hang your head in shame John De Bellis!

1 Like

The Wave, i can pick it up in Perths Southern Suburbs :slight_smile:

Finding the music is brilliant on it, if it expanded to Perths North you would be getting more listeners too.

3 Likes

To be honest 91.7 The Wave would have to be the very best commercial station in Australia atm.
Excellent selection of upbeat music.
As I live in NZ I have it programmed on my internet radio also the app is excellent

1 Like

I agree, it’s a clever positioning of music to play a decent format of music that mostly isn’t played by the choices currently available from Perth/Bunbury signals.

The very light amount of music in the last decade or two is a welcome change to the usual flogged songs of the moment.

My only concern is that the format is an introductory one and will be narrowed and newer songs added once it gets people switching over.

Of course, that will take longer than programmers think as always, audience habits are hard to change and to pick up the revenue will be a slow rise, sales will need to convince clients/potential clients that the audience is no longer listening to Mix or 96. Sadly 6MM didn’t have a huge audience on AM, so there’s plenty to convince that new numbers are switching to Wave on FM.

2 Likes

The transition of 6MM to FM has meant that there are now no regional WA stations who use the traditional 6xx call sign letters as their on air brand.

2 Likes

Gee that’s a bit sad. Even NT has 8HA.

3 Likes

I agree, the call signs on air are going the way of the dodo bird -:frowning:

2 Likes

2LT on 101.1 seems to be sounding quite decent now.

I’ll have try and tune in when they are playing music (local shift) to know for sure.

1 Like

On weekdays, there’s only two slots for a music-based local shift: Breakfast (5:30-9am) & Drive (3-6pm).

That’s part of the reason on why I don’t listen to 2LT much, in which there’s too much talk & not enough music.
Maybe it would become more music-based if/when its main 900AM service converts to FM.

In the mean time, I’d rather listen to 2ST, in which at least there’s music right through from dawn to dusk on weekdays.

4 Likes

Mandurah’s 917 The Wave is running a themed Sunday, ‘Smooth Sunday’, relaxing classics etc.

Interesting use of the word smooth. Well done.

OB on Saturday for the beginning of summer season at the local aquatic centre.

Friday and Saturday nights are commercial free, party themed.

Only downside is the use of SCA syndicated programming, My Generation interrupts for fifteen minutes at midday and 8pm weekdays then two hours from 4pm Saturday.

Don’t think they add much, could do write their own more suited to format.

1 Like

30 September 2018, final 60’s Sunday on 6MM playlist - long list, so click Summary to view:

Summary

What we played on Sunday, September 30th at 9:00am (Wave Weekends)

9:04am

Soul Man

Sam & Dave

9:07am

To Sir With Love

Lulu

9:10am

Sgt Pepper’s/little Help

Beatles

9:15am

Dance On

Kathy Kirby

9:18am

Do It Again

Beach Boys

9:24am

In The Midnight Hour

Wilson Pickett

9:26am

Tell Him

Exciters

9:28am

Up On The Roof

Drifters

9:31am

Happy Together

Turtles

9:34am

I Fought The Law

Bobby Fuller Four

9:36am

Take Good Care Of My Baby

Bobby Vee

9:39am

Hats Off To Larry

Del Shannon

9:44am

Love Is All Around

Troggs

9:47am

Volare

Bobby Rydell

9:49am

Down On The Corner

Creedence Clearwater Revival

9:52am

Baby Love

Supremes and Diana Ross

9:55am

I Saw Her Again Last Night

Mamas & The Papas

9:58am

20 Miles

Ray Brown and Whispers

What we played on Sunday, September 30th at 10:00am (Wave Weekends)

10:05am

Love Child

Supremes and Diana Ross

10:08am

Silhouettes

Hermans Hermits

10:11am

Next Door To An Angel

Neil Sedaka

10:14am

Baby,i Need Your Lovin’

Four Tops

10:21am

I Like It

Gerry & The Pacemakers

10:23am

No Particular Place To Go

Chuck Berry

10:26am

Out Of Time

Chris Farlowe

10:29am

Hooked On A Feeling

B J Thomas

10:32am

(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay

Otis Redding

10:35am

Mrs. Robinson

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

10:38am

Woman You’re Breaking Me

The Groop

10:44am

Macarthur Park

Richard Harris

10:51am

Lazy Sunday

Small Faces

10:54am

Hanky Panky

Tommy James and Shondells

10:57am

Here It Comes Again

Fortunes

What we played on Sunday, September 30th at 11:00am (Wave Weekends)

11:05am

Promises Promises

Dionne Warwick

11:07am

Edge Of Reality

Elvis Presley

11:11am

Woman Woman

Gary Puckett And Union Gap

11:15am

The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s In His Kiss)

Betty Everett

11:17am

I Only Want To Be With You

Dusty Springfield

11:23am

Don’t Sleep In The Subway

Petula Clark

11:26am

Bend Me Shape Me

American Breed

11:28am

Fortune Teller

Throb

11:31am

I Belong With You

Bobby & Laurie

11:33am

Cherish

The Association

11:36am

Dizzy

Tommy Roe

11:42am

Georgia On My Mind

Ray Charles

11:45am

Sunshine Superman

Donovan

11:50am

Baby I Need Your Lovin’

Johnny Rivers

11:53am

Chain Gang

Sam Cooke

11:55am

Glad All Over

Dave Clark Five

11:58am

You’re Sixteen

Johnny Burnette

Nothing in the north :frowning:

I wonder if they can do what 6iX do and get repeaters for the northern suburbs?

No, they can’t, as The Wave is licenced for the Mandurah region.

2 Likes