Rebel Media

They’re still testing on 1620 Toowoomba.
It’s been a very long testing phase.
Anyone know if, at the moment, the transmission is in stereo & does
anyone still have a CQAM radio to verify?

1 Like

Yes I do but it’s being repaired. Sadly it doesn’t have a stereo indicator light so you can only go by audio to check, but it has an analogue tuning dial so I expect it should wind up all the way to 1620 (most only do 1602). Was planning a trip up there when I get it back to check it out.

2 Likes

Is there anyone connected with Rebel Media management eg Aaron reading this forum?
Was wondering why the very long testing phase for the Toowoomba 1620 transmission site? It’s still playing ‘test-bed’ music after several months.

2 Likes

I understand they were doing some site ground radial works and this was likely to be delayed due to the pandemic. Apologies I’m not very technically savvy regarding radio but they were trying to improve coverage which was a bit lacking in some areas of Toowoomba.

4 Likes

What Brianc68 said.

Plus the transmitter on air is the only AM unit in the network. A new transmitter was ordered in November and arrived late in May. Bench testing revealed a distortion/phase issue with C-QUAM (AM Stereo) mode, so its been returned to factory. Appears a design issue they have to rectify, so no ETA at moment. Hopefully all sorted Q3/20.

7 Likes

@AJ1- have you ever considered putting in Rebel/Breeze transmitters around the Putty Road area?

Am also curious to know if there’s a timeframe on Rebel and Breeze for Mid North Coast NSW at Great Lakes (covering Coomba Park/Stroud) and at Kendall?

1 Like

Does this mean Scott Mayman has left BOG & Radio97 Breakfast?

3 Likes

He has. His position has been advertised

3 Likes

Good on Scotty, last time I was speaking to him at Radio97 a week or so before I flew out to NZ, he was saying he was ready for a bit of a change. Congrats to him, what a great talent to have back on board at Rebel Media

5 Likes

With the opening to Wide Bay tonight can confirm that 102.5 Breeze and 106.7 Rebel are on air in Childers.

3 Likes

Wasn’t 106.7 originally allocated to Gin Gin? Not sure how it got moved to Childers if so.

Not sure but Rebel has been on 106.7 there for years.

Wonder if Breeze is live on AM1611 as well in Maryborough at yet

4 Likes

@AJ1 is it on air? How is Toowoomba going?

2 Likes

Does the ACMA use it or lose it ultimatum for LPON FM also apply to NON-BSB AM licences, which is what Rebel have?

1 Like

Neither of those AM sites have a target launch date.

Maryborough 1629 - a floating project we’ll squeeze in when we can with the site owners schedule next year. Service will likely be mono.

Toowoomba 1620 - is running a mono test loop. Took best part of a year to receive the new transmitter and resolve its C-QUAM (AM Stereo) design issues back at the factory, but it’s running beautifully on the bench here now. Planning to install on site next month to trial C-QUAM. Launch likely Q1/21.

7 Likes

The most notable section of this I think is the Rebel proposal that Rebel and Breeze be allowed to broadcast into the entire Logan area.

ACMA notes that the Logan local government area is wholly within the Brisbane RA1 licence area. ACMA states it doesn’t have an opinion about allowing Rebel to extend their licence area to cover all of Logan, but reading between the lines it appears that the answer will be no.

At the end of the paper ACMA states that they have knocked back numerous proposals from Rebel and Flow to vary their licence area plans.

2 Likes

You can’t blame them for trying, but they remote broadcasters really push the limits to expand their service into well populated areas. It’s ridiculous that the Gold Coast fits into the “remote” licence area, let alone half of Brisbane!

2 Likes

I’m also surprised that the ACMA agreed to the Wauchope one, given its only 15km from the local Triple M and Hit Port Macquarie TX that runs at 20,000 watts. I never had any in car reception issues when driving through Wauchope.

Mmm, except I’m eternally grateful to have them on FM here in southern Brisbane. They run rings around the mainstream FM’s in terms of music content. I find the mainstream stations unlistenable and welcome Rebel and Breeze wherever they can manage to broadcast on FM.

5 Likes