Radio History

The music that does get played on ABC Local Radio is quite good; I wish there was a hybrid style format like BBC Radio 2. I think ABC Darwin and Alice Springs play a fair bit more music than the rest. There was of course ABC Coast FM on the Cold and Scumshine Ghosts, but these have now devolved into virtual relays of 4QR (if I’m not mistaken).

5 Likes

Yes I too wish ABC Local would play more music. RN is what I listen to for news, talk and interesting discussion. I think there’s scope for a hybrid music/talk on Local in many markets.

7 Likes

Sammy Power has died.

Daughter of Brisbane markets trailblazer and entrepreneur, Jan Power; she was on many stations across at least a couple of states in her career.

Most recently, gave an interview to ABC Brisbane’s morning presenter, Rebecca Levingston.

Greg Newman’s Jocks’ Journal has this link to a Courier-Mail article:

6 Likes

4 Likes

What’s with Dean Miller’s hair? Wacky. Wasn’t the style he had on the now axed BTQ weekend lifestyle shows.

1 Like

In 1981 2UW relaunched as “The New 2UW”. It shot to the top of the ratings in two surveys with a 15% share.

Here is a recording of some of the station IDs and promotions - note the voices of Ron E Sparx and Ian Lane (2UW’s station manager). It ends with a “more music” 2SM jingle from 1982 - marking the moment when 2SM rediscovered its Top 40 mojo.

6 Likes

Hearing the ‘Share Qld with a friend’ jingle thanks to @4TAB-1008kHz on 4IP - 4TAB XMAS reminded me, created by Ian Mason.

One of Australia’s best session musicians and in his own right.

Here’s some great holiday viewing covering his time in the Byron hinterland.

Familiar narrator, you’ll recognise him from radio:

More info on Ian here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ian-mason-50749224/

4 Likes

Never Forget “The New 3AK” :wink:

5 Likes

On a more positive note, 1 January in 1990 saw the first capital city commercial AM to FM conversions with 3KZ becoming KZFM in Melbourne, and 5KA becoming KAFM in Adelaide.

4BK Brisbane became B105 in Feb, then 5DN and 3TT followed later in the year.

3KKZ_1990

11 Likes

Even GTV-9 who owned 3AK at the time was’nt Impress by the Changes.

2 Likes

Stumbled upon this detailed record transmitter sites in SA:

http://users.tpg.com.au/ldbutler/Broadcast_Station_History.htm

4 Likes

Great read! Thanks!

2 Likes

Amazing what you can do with a caravan

2 Likes

A rare radio sign off.
From radio 2NM Muswellbrook.

Not sure what use to happen if they went to dead air or if the took a relay of a metropolitan station
3 Likes

You can thank @dxer2_2000 for that 2NM aircheck. He’s also uploaded other sign offs.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve seen his other uploads.

Interesting that radio stations were still signing off as late as the late 80s

2 Likes

Hi thanks. I have a few more to upload but haven’t had time of late. Been a busy week.

2 Likes

With K-Rock Geelong about to Turn 30, shall we look back into The Vault and find any 3GL/K-Rock In the early months of 1990?

2 Likes

Yes pls, I remember early days of K rock. Would love to hear some old recordings. Use to always try and tune in when on holidays in the Mornington peninsula (across the bay). Remember Brendan Barnes, frank fursey and a few old names. Later years Mobbs, Daryl reader

4 Likes

Here’s great summer viewing for us all:

Pity the ABC recorded the yarn on film, quite blurry.

Very interesting to note that in 1985, they were the only regional SA station with a live overnight show.

It’s 2020, nothing stopping them today.

Great coverage, still booms into Adel, a long time since I’ve been through Eucla, but amazing to reach the WA border and Olympic Dam.

5 Likes