Radio History

I listened to Radio 2 on the Gold Coast. In 2006 I downloaded their website homepage

1 Like

I wonder why they didn’t try to mix the .7 into the name given the Tassie stations start with a 7.
Something like Mix 101-7HO

4 Likes

Sounds like they were setting up for a future rebrand as Mix 101.7, but that never eventuated

Grant Broadcasters purchased HOFM in 2004 and in 2007 changed the name back to its former AM call sign of 7HO

7hofm

1 Like

Yes but they still haven’t made the most of the fact the “7” in 7HO could be incorporated in the .7 of the frequency. Even dropping the “mix” it could be 101-7HO. It’s a bit snappier than 7HO FM 101.7 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“101.7HO FM” would have sufficed so that the 7 was effectively conjoined?

3 Likes

From a Sydney perspective, it would’ve been incredibly interesting if Hobart actually had a station branded as “Mix 101.7” - sorry, couldn’t resist! :slight_smile:

Rather like the idea of 101.7HO (with or without the “FM” moniker at the end) as a station name, a pity we don’t/didn’t see any of that type of thing for the branding of FM stations in markets where the callsign & final number of the frequency just happen to match up!

2 Likes

95 3SR used to be a good example of that. 3SR on 95.3FM - unfortunately now just another Triple M.

5 Likes

Perfect! Love it.

3 Likes

Me too, just how it should be and should remain and how it could still be done in Hobart.

1 Like

Not quite as good but in the early 90s I recall Triple M Brisbane used to occasionally ID as FM104 MMM which ties in nicely with the 4MMM original callsign. Love the 3SR one the best though.

3 Likes

Here’s a quick montage of the old Kiss 95.3 Lithgow. This audio was recorded by @dxer2_2000 from Tuross Head and Cooma. The stronger signal at the end of the clip was from Cooma, over the top of the local ABCRN transmitter!

Kiss 95.3 got into Sydney very well, probably better than the current Move 107.9 as others have intimated. I managed to catch the test broadcast from home in fair stereo on a cheap Sanyo boombox; unfortunately I didn’t record it.

2 Likes

Brilliant logo!

2 Likes

TV logos were good there too surely?

Did anyone listen to the late Ron Casey? I never did. Maybe everyone is too young here :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Ron Casey was on 2GB up until he was no longer required when Singo had finally realised he needed to pull out the chequebook to poach talent from the #1 2UE to get 2GB anywhere close to #1.

Sacked in controversial circumstances due to comments about aboriginals.

He knew how to stir the pot and best of all, took an interest in nurturing not demonising young staff, bullying which is still rife in the TV or radio industry.

@Laoma, not in Sydney and internet not prevalent in final years, so never heard him on radio.

He was never really a presence in Melbourne although i recall years ago he got into strife for berating Nokia as being an Asian company (It’s actually Finnish)

3 Likes

I seem to recall him on 2KY back in the 90s but I never actively listened to him.

Actually I remember him on 2SM, around 1967 when he hosted talkback. When he was at 2GB in the early 90s he used to prepare his programme using a small manual portable typewriter!! This was when they had their studios in Sussex Street. He would ask the young lady handling all the stationery supplies to get such things as typewriter ribbons, carbon paper and the like, he also used to make a lot of typos and he would just “x” them out…

2 Likes

The thing I remember the most was the brawl between Ron Casey and Normie Rowe on the Midday TV Show in the 1990s over the Republic.

2 Likes