Radio History

I never listen to Nova, what are they playing? 00s music?

Mostly, yes.

You can see their playlist here: http://onlineradiobox.com/au/nova969/playlist/

2 Likes

ARN took over the Wesgo stations in October 1994, followed by the Albert Family stations in March 1995.

The Wesgo stations were as follows:

• 2WS
  • 2SM (IDed as ‘Gold 1269’ back then & bought by Kick Media by the end of 1995)
  • 2GO
  • Magic 693
  • 3MP
  • 4KQ
  • 2AY
  • B104.9

The Albert Family stations were:

• Mix 106.5 (formerly 2UW)
  • TTFM
  • Canberra FM (now Mix 106.3)
  • 2CC (sold off to what is now the Capital Radio Network in December 1994)
  • 4GR
  • 4MB
  • 4RO

In June 1995, 2GO was bought by Sunshine Broadcasting, who had already owned Coast Rock FM & therefore became sister stations. After Sunshine was taken over by Seven, 2GO/Coast Rock had to be sold off, in which RG Capital bought them in May 1996.

ARN sold its QLD regional stations in June 1995 to what is now RG Capital, whilst it continued to own 2AY/B104.9 until it was bought by DMG by the end of 1996. In December 1995, Magic & 3MP were sold off to Southern Cross Broadcasting, who had already owned 3AW & 3AK. This meant that by the middle of 1996, they sold off 3MP & 3AK, with the former bought by Goulburn Valley Broadcasters (owner of 3SR & Sun FM), whilst the latter was bought by Fusion Media.

5 Likes

And 4BC had already been sold sadly, thus beginning its decline.

2 Likes

Replying in the history thread

4GY - Radio Sunshine - do you recall the Fox FM simulcast weekends? “At 9 o’clock, it’s 21 degrees in Noosa and 13 degrees in Melbourne” :slight_smile:

3DB - also used Sunshine Radio at one point.

4 Likes

4GY simulcast with Fox FM? What an odd combination. What year was this?

1 Like

Definitely 1983 and a couple of other years around then - it used to be for the Easter long weekend.

1 Like

I guess it’s a little odd, but didn’t they used to call Noosa “little Toorak”? Basically the majority of interstate tourists to Noosa (as opposed to the rest of the Sunshine Coast) used to come from Melbourne, particularly at Easter.

1 Like

I bet people in Melbourne would’ve got sick of hearing Noosa’s weather! (For me, it would be the other way around).

People in Melbourne would have been thinking “Stop teasing us with Noosa’s warm weather” and people in Noosa would have just laughed at Melbourne’s cold weather

1 Like

Going through my garage I found some old air checks from 2GO back onthe 28th of June 1996. It’s amazing how much the station has changed.
28-6-96 12:05 ~ 20:50 (483MB)

3 Likes

Judging by the date, this would’ve been just after 2GO had been bought by RG Capital, along with Coast Rock FM, in which it then rebranded to Sea FM by the end of the year.

1 Like

Thanks for the 8 and a half hours of 2GO.

Interesting that 2GO promoted itself as being on 108 FM instead of 107.7, was this an attempt to hold on to the familiarly of the previous 801 AM?

Also promoting a 60s and 70s playlist is different to the “80s, 90s and now” that I grew up with.

If I was a fairly serious radio geek back then (I was 9-10 years old at the time), I would’ve listened to 2GO quite a bit, as it would’ve been a decent alternative to 2WS. Wave FM from Wollongong was another decent alternative back then too, which had a similar format to 2GO.

Listening to bits of the above clip, they did “Lunchtime Legends” at 12-1pm, playing the best of the 60s & 70s, whilst its primary music positioner was “A Better Music Mix”. Other programs, judging by the promos, included “Six O’Clock Rock” on Saturday nights, “Love Songs” on weeknights, and “Lost in the 70s” on Sunday nights.

As for the news theme, back in 1996, 2GO used the same news theme as 2WS. More than 20 years later, 2GO now uses the same news theme as Triple M.

I miss the 2GO of the 90s & 00s. It’s not really the same now, especially with competition from Star 104.5, as well as its SCA ownership.

3 Likes

I’m going through a HEAP of my old air checks, nothing that long but will post more soon.

1 Like

Yeah, I always found that FM108 positioner to be quite weird.

Nothing new. You’d have AM stations refer to themselves by rounding up the frequency. 2UE referred to themselves as channel 95 instead of 954.

1 Like

Yes, but it was odd to me for a “.5” or “.7” frequency FM station to be rounding down or up.

I know some AM stations were rounding to the first 2 or 3 digits, but by the late 80s, most had stopped doing that.

1 Like

I agree. You have Hot100 in Darwin on 100.1which is fine but then stations like Power100 in Townsville on 100.7 which is weird.

which is largely a legacy from before we had 9 kHz spacing, when every station had a frequency ending in 0. And even after the change with radio dials as such it wasn’t particularly necessary to make a big deal of the precise kHz so some stations continued to brand with the same rounded frequency.

3DB at 1030 kHz used to be “Channel 103” but even after it became 1026 kHz it was branded “100 3DB”.

7HO when it switched to FM became “HOFM Mix 101” even though it was at 101.7

2 Likes