Radio History

Is this during their ownership of 3XY? Seemed to be cashed up then.

Wasn’t 3GL and 4BK co-owned at one point?

While I think that ad might pre-date it, 3XY were owned by the owners of Bay - so wouldn’t have shared ownership with 3GL.

Yeah - found this interesting ownership chronology paper - which has 3GL and 4BK owned by HWT until selling them off to separate owners in January 1987, though that pre-dates that ad above.

1 Like

I had seen it on TV in Melbourne. 3GL’s signal used to get a fair way into Melbourne, probably better than Bay FM or K Rock do now.

Pretty sure 3GL was owned in common with 3DB which was Herald and Weekly Times but the stations would have had to be sold off when Murdoch took over HWT.

3GL later ended up being bought by Hoyts Media IIRC, who also owned Triple M.

2 Likes

It would be hard to prevent 3GL overspill into Melbourne, since AM travels very well over water, which is all there really is between the Bellarine Peninsula and metro Melbourne.

1 Like

In the days before they changed to FM and became B105

1 Like

I read through parts 1 and 2. Cracking stuff. Looking forward to part three if it’s out already, or when it eventually comes out, as I can’t find it!

Loved the 4BK ad. It’s interesting to note that despite the classic hits positioner they did also play some softer new music in 86 - 89. Even some of the artists/album covers shown in the ad were more contemporary (Scarecrow - John Mellancamp and Whispering Jack). In 86 and 87 I remember hearing a lot of the newer Billy Joel and Sting songs on 4BK. It was my “number 3” go to station at the time after FM104 and Stereo 10.
4SS was my No. 4 choice although reception of that was patchy.

3 Likes

That’s a fantastic document, I’ve just saved a copy of it for future research.

And for a period 3GL (or maybe Krock at that point) simulcasted with Triple M from 10pm onwards.

1 Like

at one stage (around 1967) 3GL promoted itself as “The Geelong Advertiser Station” according to this aircheck (courtesy of Alex Hehr OAM):

1 Like

OMG. It sounds so daggy. The endless live reads. And that music choiceI You’d think that they would have at least played some top 40 songs. After all, the Melbourne stations were all receivable in sleepy hollow and at a whole different level of presentation.

1 Like

I do remember when 3GL became K Rock on FM 95.5 in January 1990, not long after Bay FM was launched, there was a television commercial which (like the 1988 “Classic Hits 3GL” one) aired on Melbourne (and possibly Ballarat) television. It had a “Back to the Future” theme. This ad is not on Youtube.

1 Like

2Day FM TV ad, only a year or two before they switched from easy listening to a more mainstream music format.

2 Likes

That format switch would’ve happened after Austereo bought the station in May 1989 from the Lamb Family for over $80 million & then took over in July that year.

SMH Article from May 5, 1989: 2DAY-FM sold for $80m-plus

3 Likes

SCA have blown their dough. Nowhere near worth $80M today.

2 Likes

Add to that if they had invested the $80 mil in Sydney real estate back then, they would have $500 mil now.

1 Like

Yeah but when you factor in the income 2day has produced for them since 1989 that 80M would have paid for itself many times.

5 Likes

Today (1st June) marks 25 years since 2WS (now WSFM) in Sydney converted from 1224AM to 101.7FM, which happened at 8:10am during Hans Torv & Kayley Harris’ breakfast show. It become Sydney’s 3rd commercial FM station, the first in almost 13 years since 2DAY & 2MMM went to air.

The first song played on FM was “Simply The Best” by Tina Turner & Jimmy Barnes

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, it was also with the FM conversion that 2WS officially became a Sydney-wide broadcaster (as opposed to being a Western Sydney station on AM)?

Meanwhile the old 1224AM frequency/transmitter is now used by 2RPH and the old Seven Hills studios where 2WS had their big FM conversion party a quarter of a century ago has since become the home of Hope 103.2 after WSFM moved to the current ARN Sydney studios at North Ryde in the Early 2000s.

3 Likes