Radio History

Andy ‘Mac’ has been the surf reporter on 90.9 SEA FM Gold Coast since it began in 1989.

This year, he retired (no comment published whether it was his choice or not) and google returns a number of articles about his time.

This article: http://blankgc.com.au/andy-mac-hangs-up-the-surf-report-phone/ is most interesting as it documents some radio history about SEA FM and what stations did surf reports.

Surf reports on the Gold Coast are a necessary part of radio if you wish to be successful in the audience who surfs.

Audio here: https://omny.fm/shows/bridge-and-spida/andy-mac-farewell Bridget stretches the truth, many surf reporters before him. Now I’ve listened to that link, hmmm. Not the best farewell, Bridget dominates the discussion.

with tonight’s Brownlow Medal on, here’s a look at how radio stations were still covering the event in 1970.

This was the first year that the Brownlow was being broadcast on television but there are still 4 out of 6 commercial radio stations covering it:

Source: The Age via Google

3 Likes

I never knew XY carried greyhounds. Did they do much other racing or sport (other than footy)?

While digging out a Classic TV Listing from the Listener In-TV, in the same paper were some ads for Melbourne radio stations 3DB, 3KZ and 3UZ. Thought they might be of interest

• Advertising featuring the late Chelsea Brown
  • Denis Scanlan is now on Geelong community radio station Pulse 94.7

• Assuming the emphasis on music on Saturday afternoons as it now replaces the station’s footy coverage which has finished for the season

• Grant Goldman now of 2SM in Sydney

At around this time of the year, 3XY was Melbourne’s top station on 21.1% audience share.

3XY 21.1
3AK 14.4
3AW 13.9
3UZ 13.8
3KZ 10.9
3LO 10.4
3AR 5.2
3DB 8.7
3ZZ 0.9

Good news for 3DB is that the relaunch as “DB Music” did see their ratings go back into double figures the following year.

Also at this time, Melbourne has its first FM station, 3MBS. It was still a few months until ABC FM began.

While Sydney got 2JJ as the ABC’s third radio station, in Melbourne 3ZZ was ABC’s experimental “access” radio station which IIRC only broadcast a few hours a day and featured a lot of multilingual programs. The station was shut down in 1977. It was possibly deemed redundant as 3EA (now SBS Radio) had come onto the scene, and community radio stations 3CR and 3RMT (now RRR) were also on the air by that stage.

3 Likes

I love the 3KZ advertisement. Think music. Think 3KZ.

I also notice Ric Melbourne on the 3DB advertisement. He moved to Sydney for the launch of The New 2UW in 1981. At around 8.45am each morning Ric would talk to the 2UW cleaning lady; a Greek woman called Toula. She would be cleaning the studio and Ric would chat to her about life, food, children and music. It was unscripted. It was spontaneous. It was fun. It gave 2SM, 2WS and the new FM stations a run for their money for about 18 months.

1 Like

it wasn’t really a patch on 3XY’s “More Music” or in ratings terms even 3AK “Beautiful Music” was higher

1 Like

Agreed.

It’s funny how Triple M used “Triple Your Music” as a slogan. I used to think the three m’s stood for Music. Music. Music.

Now Triple M uses it’s FM frequency in Sydney to broadcast talk.

2 Likes

Here is Ric’s recollection of his time at DB Music, including when he and a team of colleagues were all poached by 3KZ, only to have them all come back to 3DB a little while later – as recorded in 3DB The First 60 Years in 1987.

Source: Alex Hehr OAM

2 Likes

Yeah this type of radio is happening less and less. Clive Robertson did that a lot too.

1 Like

Here’s a story on the first building used to broadcast 4QG, Brisbane’s first radio station in 1925.

1 Like

16 years ago this month (October 15th ,2001)Here in Brisbane we got our 3rd commercial FM station when 97.3 started, though they were doing test broadcasts for about 2 weeks before then. They have not really changed their playlist too much since then😕

If I had a dollar for every time they played dont pay the ferryman id be rich.

But while we are on 97.3… id like to share some Wild FM history

Wild FM without any doubt made a huge mark on Sydney and Brisbane Listeners… I still occasionally see their hugely successful CD’s in peoples collections and cash converters, which ultimately was part of their downfall with the then ABA.

Wild Brisbane was a big pain the butt of B105 which saw huge drop in ratings when Wild was onair.
having said this they also used to “Poke the bear” by use of IDs (ive attached some) and the use of show names like “party harder” taking off Austereos “party hard” which of course caused legal letters to be sent.

And finally some end of broadcast “clubcast” OB’s live both from Viva Nightclub at paddington (directly across the road from where their studios in the last year of broadcasts)

10 Likes

I still think that a 100% dance station would send a shiver down the spine of many of Sydney’s FM stations in 2017!

3 Likes

That JJJ sweeper sounds like something that Triple M might use today

1 Like

Yeah they are still playing Africa/Toto daily - their signature song since the day they launched :frowning:

Anyway I always count QFM as the 3rd FM in Brisbane :slight_smile:

3 Likes

totally agree but none of them are willing to take the risk

1 Like

Yes, it’s unlikely to rate as well as what most of those stations are rating now.

Tasmanian station 7BU officially opened on 19 October 1935. The Findlay family, who at that time owned a music store in Wilson Street Burnie, originally started it. They decided that because they were selling radios in the store, they should start a local radio station.

2 Likes

I imagine the only radio stations receivable in Burnie prior to 7BU would have had to be from Launceston ? (or maybe Devonport).

1 Like

I imagine the only radio stations receivable in Burnie prior to 7BU would have had to be from Launceston ? (or maybe Devonport).

You would have not only been able to pick up those but Hobart and Melbourne stations as well.

2 Likes