Radio History

There seems a lot of history on line about various stations and there early years. Can’t find anything about the Goulburn Valleys Sun Fm

2 Likes

The old Sun FM website used to have a history of the station. I’ll see if it’s on the way back machine.

Edit: Radio SunFM

4 Likes

What’s also interesting is that the Sun FM brand was then used on 3MA in Mildura before it came Triple M.

3 Likes

Speaking of Triple M, here’s an old logo from Triple M Auckland.

Triple M Auckland

In 1984, 89 Stereo FM became part of Triple M, changing their callsign from 1ROQ to 1MMM. In 1988, the station reverted to 89FM before closing down in 1994.

5 Likes

Episode 1 of the 2007 documentary Thanks For Listening about the history of Australian radio. I will upload the rest of the series once I see if Foxtel will strike me for uploading this.

5 Likes

Rebel FM was also called Sun FM in the late 1990s as well.

3 Likes

That’s awesome

2 Likes

An article from AdNews magazine from March 1990 after 2QN dropped its legal action preventing Sun FM from launching:

The station’s first logo:

Other media reports at the time of Sun FM’s launch made the claim that Sun FM was to be the first “inland commercial FM station in Australia” which seemed to ignore the Canberra FM commercial stations and it has been mentioned around here also that Now FM Moree had also launched beforehand.

6 Likes

It was a great station. Used to travel up from Melb on holidays and loved it

5 Likes

Curious to know the origin or meaning behind the name Sun FM? Would seem more coastal than inland. Is there a regional significance?

1 Like

The Murray river region boasts more sunshine that the gold coast. Very fitting.

3 Likes

They have sunshine inland, too! :wink:

Especially that side of the dividing range.

2 Likes

Anyone know why SUN moved from 107.7 to 96.9?

1 Like

107.7 was only temporary, pending the removal of TV services from VHF band II

3 Likes

then how tf Rebel/Breeze Network was founded, @myfriend? very curious about the origin tbh

1 Like

Shepparton is an extremely sunny place, almost as sunny as Canberra/Bungendore. There is a vast difference in sunshine once you get over the Kilmore Gap as you say; the difference is especially stark in the Macedon Ranges (Kyneton vs Trentham etc.)

So yes, a suitable name.

4 Likes

My understanding is that SUN got a 2nd licence for Remote Eastern Australia and relsunched SUN as Rebel when they launched Breeze.

Amazed me how Beaudesert never kept their own commercial radio station. I’m guessing the owners justified unprofitability with Brisbane stations booming in.

1 Like

I guess with a population of under 7,000 and overspill from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, it was always going to be an uphill battle.

2 Likes

1982 3RRR live promo by Steve Vizard for Punter to Punter Christmas Party at the Astor Theatre

1 Like