Radio History

This song was on a 1992 compilation CD I had (not sure if I still have it,don’t play CDs anymore)

Is that Phillip Clarke whom is now the Nightlife presenter Monday to Thursdays?

2 Likes

Yes. He was also on 2GB from 2001 to 2009 in various roles (including breakfast for one year before Alan Jones moved across from 2UE) before returning to the ABC.

1 Like

He looked so different back then

Happy 86th Birthday today for 2AD Armidale. Kicked off on 5 Feb 1936 as “The Voice of the North” on air 7-9am / 12-2pm / 6-10pm only. Noteworthy that the late great & brilliant Peter Allen started his career here playing the piano for some children’s programs. Bought by 2SM in 1995 and now lost in the BOG (ordinary) network like so many other former heritage regional stations. Sigh …

2 Likes

Wow that’s nostalgic.
I couldn’t recall Mike Carlton on ABC radio.

Couldn’t recall that either. Obviously I was listening to different stations back then, or not to much radio…?
Phillip Clark with hair :slight_smile:

It’s quite revealing just how many of those presenters are still with the ABC today.

Does anyone ever see Tony Delroy about the city these days?
I wish he would make a surprise call or two into the Nightlife Quiz. I’m sure the regular callers would love to hear him on air again.
I remember one funny moment on air where Tony asked a Nightlife Quiz question about what was the state bird emblem for Qld. Some guy phoned in & innocently replied with ‘A Turkey’.
Well that cracked Tony up & I don’t think he could speak or compose himself for a long minute due to laughter. :slight_smile: I recall I had tears rolling down my cheeks. You had to be listening.

3 Likes

He was on a semi national show on the ABC from 10pm on weeknights in the eastern seaboard. It was taken on 702 ABC Sydney, 612 ABC Sydney as well as the regional stations. He retired a few years ago around 2019 from memory.

Tony Delroy actually retired in September 2016.

1 Like

In actual fact 2AD is local from breakfast to around 5pm but does take John Laws from 9 to 12. One good thing about BOG stations compared Austereo stations. A lot of the bigger stations are similarly formatted like 2GF, 2TM, 2RE etc

2 Likes

Still no sign of them switching to FM yet…

What was the location of 3DB’s transmission site in 1988? I’m just doing the graphics for a 3DB upload and Google isn’t being overly helpful.

2 Likes

It would have been at Lower Plenty with most of the Melbourne commercial AMs at the time. I used to see the radio towers from my kitchen windows

https://www.victorianplaces.com.au/lower-plenty

3 Likes

Thanks @TelevisionAU. I’d seen the site referred to as Heidelberg too, which confused me. But looking at a map, I see that Lower Plenty and Heidelberg are adjacent to each other. I’ll go with Lower Plenty then. Cheers!

2 Likes

Technically View Bank which at the time was part of the old City of Heidelberg.

This is from the 1988 Melway street directory, you can also see 3UZ, 3AW and 3XY all in the vicinity, 3AK and 3KZ were on the next map, three are still there, I believe AW (not in the original location) and AK (SEN) not sure of the other, the current directory only marks them as “radio masts”
uodate: so the Lower Plenty masts are now Magic (old AW), RSN/News Radio/ 3RPH and SEN/3KND according to this site:

University of Melbourne have digitised back issues of Melway which is the large blue watermark.
https://digitised-collections.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/23/discover?view=grid&rpp=12&etal=0&group_by=none&page=1&sort_by=melbourne.sorting.key_sort&order=asc

4 Likes

That’s interesting, I always thought XY was out west near Truganina, as that’s where 1422 is now…

Thanks for that. I had seen Radio Park in View Bank mentioned online too. So I was tossing up between Lower Plenty, Heidelberg and View Bank. I went with Lower Plenty… too late to change it now!

1 Like

So you’ve had me digging and I’ve found this 1991 article from the AFR in 1991 which mentions a move of the transmitter from AW’s.

3XY leased space on Macquarie’s Melbourne transmitter and owed Macquarie $14,500. It eventually paid the$14,500, but still owes $107,000 in unpaid transmitter leasing fees.

In February, GLFM trimmed the simulcasting of 3XY and 3BAY to eight hours a day (10pm to 6am) and found a temporary transmitter for 3XY in the Melbourne suburb of Altona.

2 Likes

using the map co-ordinates on the ACMA register:

3AW: Google Maps (Mt Cottrell)

3AK/3EE/3KND: Google Maps (Lower Plenty)

3RPH/3PB/3UZ: Google Maps (Lower Plenty)

3CR: Google Maps (Werribee)

3EA: https://goo.gl/maps/5JAT7KdieUG2UNgU8 (Roxburgh Park)

3MP: Google Maps (Rowville)

3LO/3RN: Google Maps (Delahey)

1422 HPON (3XY): Google Maps (Truganina)

1593 HPON (SEN Track): https://goo.gl/maps/yCHL1YzvFwb2YDKb7 (Epping)

3 Likes

The 3DB and 3AW/3XY sites marked from 1988 are now housing. The 3UZ mast is also no longer there, but its still paddocks there. There’s only two AM sites in the area now, being the 3KZ site on Bonds Rd and the 3AK site on Stawell Rd.

The Melways shows housing at the 3AW site by 1995, with the other sites still marked in 1999, which is the most recent edition available online.

The stations at each site now are:

Bonds Rd (Former 3KZ site, now Broadcast Australia Site)
3RPH 1179kHz - former 3KZ frequency
3PB 1026kHz - former 3DB frequency
3UZ 927kHz

Stawell Rd (3AK site)
3AK/SEN 1116kHz
3KNZ 1503kHz - former 3AK frequency
3EE/Magic 1278kHz - former 3AW frequency

3 Likes

So with no permanent transmitter site as 3XY, it might help explain why the Mt Cottrell site came into existence once 3XY became 3EE.

1 Like