Radio History

I wish DMG/NE had more control over 97.3 in Brisbane rather than ARN.

5 Likes

I know it’s a bit late with the conversation but, 2NM moved frequencies because the 1458kHz frequency is/or was at the time, power limited due to band congestion & interference to other stations & they wanted to increase their power & coverage.

IIRC they went from 2kW omni-directional (may have actually been lower power than that), to 5kW Directional, moving to 981kHz gave them that opportunity, & they also moved the TX site from North of Muswellbrook on Sandy Creek Rd, to South West of Muswellbrook where it currently is, out on Bengalla Rd, on what is better land for it, being on the banks (essentially) of the Hunter River.

2GO Gosford did the same thing around the same time, moving from 1323kHz at 2kW omni-directional at Ourimbah to 801kHz at 5kW Directional at Chittaway Point, both stations becoming a 3 mast array, 2GO with 3 active masts, 2NM with 2 active masts & one being inductive (so I believe).

The only real difference in what 2NM & 2GO did, was 2GO became AM Stereo, but I don’t think 2NM ever went AM Stereo, even though sister & nighttime feeder station 2NX was AM Stereo.

Yes when 2NM moved frequencies & sites they bought a used Harris MW-5kW TX off 2SM (after 2SM replaced theirs) to be the new 2NM main TX, then they moved one of their really old 2kW AWA TX’s to the new site as backup.

Photos of new (old) TX & old TX, I guess you guys are smart enough to work out which is which.

7 Likes

That’s great info!

Yes 2NM was never AM stereo unfortunately.

2 Likes

Found a better version of the 2001-02 style Mix 106.3 logo in the APN 2001 Half Year Results document from August that year.

Slightly different colours, but at least you can properly see this version:

PossiblyUnused2001Mix106.3Logo

Better still…

PossiblyUnusedGold104.3Logo PossiblyUnused5DNLogo

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think these particular logos were ever used by Gold 104.3 or 5DN! Obviously WSFM used theirs for a short time (probably only because the “2” was dropped from the station name) before the 2002 Classic Hits logo/branding came in.

4 Likes

Yeah I doubt that Gold and 5DN logo was used… wasn’t the top red design meant to symbolise the Sydney Harbour Bridge anyway?

1 Like

Blast to the past.

3 Likes

Ahh yes, I’ve seen that clip of Mix 106.5 ads with Johanna Griggs.

The same station also went to a TV personality for such advertising in 1999 (and Early 2000 - after the slogan was simplified but before the Jo Griggs spots) with Alyssa-Jane Cook. There were several versions in that particular campaign, one of which had the following quote:

Answer: Australia would have one of those between 2010 and 2013.

On these quotes from the 2000 ads with Jo:

Would you be saying that about the current KIIS 1065 and Kyle & Jackie O’s breakfast show? Probably not! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

:astonished: Those are awful!

3 Likes

7QT was renamed 7XS as it was considered at the time inappropriate to continue with the 7QT call sign which effectively labelled it as just a Queenstown station.

In 1994 7XS installed an additional FM translator in Strahan 105.1 on 25 watts from Water Tower Hill.

3 Likes

Some time ago, I posted in this very thread a link to a postage stamp-sized clip (originally on the station website, saved by archive.org) of the TV commercial WSFM used in the Early 2000s.

As it turns out, this one was used first by New Zealand’s Classic Hits Network - part of The Radio Network which like ARN here, was owned at the time by APN and Clear Channel:

Thanks to The Radio Vault for uploading this one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

NZ’s Classic Hits Network would then be rebranded as The Hits in April 2014, which now has more of a Hot AC format.

More about them (including that of its aforementioned predecessor) here:

3 Likes

3AK jingles, as released this year on The Seekers Hidden Treasures albums. The first three are from 1963. The Seekers website doesn’t state the date of the fourth jingle.

6 Likes

An interesting one just in from Tape Ape - 2005 commercial for the third “Legends” CD which was released by the ARN Classic Hits Network of stations in conjunction with EMI.

With a WSFM logo, this version of the ad obviously would’ve only been seen in Sydney:

1 Like

Looks like 96FM’s playlist. What should that tell them…?

3 Likes

Here are the track listings for the Legends series.

Legends I:

Legends II:

Legends III:

They’ve also released Australian Legends I & II, as well as Rock Legends.

3 Likes

Time for a SydneyCityTV Fact Check: Mix 106.5 breakfast ratings during the years Jason Bouman co-hosted their brekky show.

Why on this particular subject, you may ask? Well after hearing that Jason would present the brekky show on Penrith narrowcast station “My88” next year, I was interested to know what he’d been up to in recent years. This lead me to his profile on the Vintage FM website where the following claim was made (important stuff in bold):

First off, it’s to my understanding that Sammy & Jason was the show on Mix 106.5 from March 2002 to November 2005 when Jason resigned from the station. Certainly the longest running brekky show in Mix 106.5 history, but is not quite four full ratings years really “many”? And while Sammy & Jason very well may have been one of the higher rating brekky shows in Mix 106.5 history, it was never #1 or even an outright #2 - on FM or overall.

The absolute closest Sammy & Jason got to top spot was being an equal #2 with 2DayFM during Survey #3 in 2004 - perhaps the only bad ratings year for 104.1 Sydney between 1992 and 2013. The highest ever percentage share that Jason Bouman got during his time as a Mix 106.5 brekky co-presenter was 7.7% - this was achieved in Survey #6 2004 (not long after the “Feel Good” relaunch) and the 3rd & 4th surveys of 2005.

1 Like

From TRV, an aircheck of the legendary FM104 in Brisbane from April 1984.

7 Likes

That brought back some great memories!

3 Likes

I am still dumbfounded that the federal government gave away the commercial FM licences in Australia’s biggest capital cities for free in the late 1970s.

EON, Triple M and FM 104 soon became licences to print money and those granted these FM frequencies must have been laughing all the way to their Commonwealth Bank accounts.

Does anyone know if the government had woken up to the fact that commercial interests would be willing to pay for these licences? In the late 80s when new licences were granted in cities like Canberra - were these also free? I know they were supplementary licences for AM stations but I was wondering if they were given to the AM operators 2CA and 2CC for nothing?

4 Likes

My memory is that all the supplementary licences were free.

4 Likes