Radio History

August 1 is definitely a significant date in the history of Sydney FM radio. Not only was it the date that first commercial stations 2DayFM and Triple M launched on in 1980, but it was also when our most recent commercial addition to the FM band commenced fulltime broadcasting in 2005 - Vega 95.3 which of course has since relaunched as Classic Rock 95.3, Sydney’s 95.3 and in it’s current and by far most successful incarnation, Smooth 95.3.

Was it in 1994 that the rules changed to allow a broadcaster to own two commercial stations in the one market? Because as it’s been mentioned before, 2WS-FM was brought out by the Australian Radio Network who also owned Mix 106.5 (and of course, still own current day KIIS 1065 and WSFM 101.7) around that same time.

…and since 2014, 2DayFM and Triple M have been outrated by both ARN and Nova Entertainment stations in most surveys?

3 Likes

Yes, the station now known as Smooth 95.3 is 15 years old today. I remembered that day when it launched as Vega 95.3. It debuted with an overall rating of 1.8% in S8/2005.

No, the 2-station rule was introduced when the current Broadcasting Services Act came into effect in 1992.

Generally yes. Although interestingly, Triple M did outrate Smooth in S7/2014, outrated Nova in S3/2015, S1/2016 & S2/2016, and both Nova Ent stations in S4/2015. Also on that last survey, Triple M managed to rate #2 FM behind WS, which was the only time the station outrated KIIS.

5 Likes

Just putting it out there… wouldn’t it be nice if ARN Sydney took a leave out of SCA’s book and reverted WSFM back to 2WS?

At the end of the day, they have a local brand anyway.

4 Likes

I think at least they should have 2WS on DAB, with a 4KQ format.

4 Likes

Nostalgia can be a powerful thing!

Hence why I’m hoping the SAFM rebrand works and sparks a comeback of heritage call signs.

7 Likes

or 3KZ in Melbourne, but however they need an AFL football broadcast as it was a major part of its history.

1 Like

Continuing the look back at old TVC campaigns for ARN, as it turns out there was another one for the Mix Network stations at the start of 2005 (between the previously mentioned “Amazing” ads for the Feel Good relaunch in July 2004 and the “She Will Be Loved” campaign which ran in Sydney & Brisbane around a year later):

Unlike any of the “Feel Good” relaunch and the mid-2005 “She Will Be Loved” ads, the archive.org database has at least saved a 240p copy of 97.3’s version of the “Beautiful” ad:

97.3Commercial2005#1

Link to the video, for what it’s worth.

Couldn’t find video of one for Mix 106.5 or Mix 101.1 (like others, maybe that will happen in the future), although I have no doubt any version which aired in Sydney & Melbourne would’ve been very similar to the 97.3 ad apart from the most obvious adjustments. Incidentally 2006 seemed to result in both the Sydney & Melbourne stations of the Mix Network doing completely different TV ad campaigns, but this is something I’ll get to discussing at a future date.

The article (or press release republication) from RadioInfo the quote about that Early 2005 Mix ad campaign was taken from also makes reference to the Classic Hits Network branding relaunch which took place around then. I’d imagine these “Pen” and “Banana” commercials for the Jonesy & Amanda breakfast show on WSFM either would’ve been part of ARN’s major Early 2005 promotional push or one which happened not long after.

7 Likes

Mix’s Feel Good era was ahead of their time. It would do better in today’s market and would force smooth to skew older (and sound more daggy).

5 Likes

Trivia question: Who was the first commercial FM radio station on air in Australia?
Answer: 2SM in May 1979

http://smharchives.smedia.com.au/Olive/APA/smharchive/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=SMH%2F1979%2F05%2F28&id=Ar01401&sk=0BB7F56F

If It Fits, Wear It.

Here is what I wearing out in Surry Hills this morning.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/2SM-Sydney-Denim-by-GoalieTurtle/28956409.WFLAH

8 Likes

96FM Perth turns 40 at 4pm today. Keep an ear out if you’re around Perth today :ear:

4 Likes

Botica’s Bunch on air with a retrospective right now.

https://40years.96fm.com.au/

5 Likes

I’ve got a Sticker from them back in the early 2000’s when Southern Cross Broadcasting Owned the Station.

2 Likes

Looking at the songs played during the retrospective hour on Lava, they didn’t play the first song played on the station 40 years ago today, which of course was “FM (No Static At All)” by Steely Dan. They instead played “Wavelength” by Van Morrison, which was the song played on Vega (now Smooth) in Sydney on 1st August 2005, then “New Kid In Town” by The Eagles, which was the first song played on EON FM in Melbourne on 11th July 1980.

That said, at least “Wavelength” had something to do with radio broadcasts.

4 Likes

Heard the broadcast. It was a replay of the first few minutes of 96’s launch in 1980, including Steely Dan. Must have been played out as part of that package, hence it didn’t log

2 Likes

Wonder what frequency? Interesting the community radio enthusiasts were worried commercial radio would end up dominating the FM band. Now we are in the future 40 years, do you think thier concerns were valid? My view community radio is still alive and fairly well.

3 Likes

The Basement, it was years ahead of its time and fantastic.

3 Likes

Not at all. There are way more community stations on the air in Sydney and Melbourne than commercial stations. In fact the whole process of allocating all of those low powered local community stations has meant that the FM band is “full”. Even though there should be a lot more commercial stations on there given the size of the population in those two cities.

8 Likes

John Carroll aka ‘Happy Jack’ called in to Luke Bona’s overnight show.

Seems he called in mid shift on Monday as he’s semi retired at Port Macquarie and drives taxis as relief to top up his income.

Sounded great. Luke mentioned John’s time on 2SM and MMM.

Here’s some audio of his past work:
http://www.theradioantenna.com/?tag=john-carroll

5 Likes

Doug also did a five minute filler show on Foxtel’s Fox 8 in the late 90s called “Mulray FM” it only lasted for a couple of months however.

4 Likes

Doug was also 2sm doing drive in the mid 90s.

3 Likes