Radio History

On March 30 2020, the Herald Sun in Melbourne ran a story with the headline: “3XY Radio - Melbourne Music Icon that Rocked the 70s and 80s”

I can’t access the story as it has a paywall. Is any able to read it and provide a quick summary? I love stories like these.

2 Likes

Has anyone please got any audio at all of Sydney’s Mix 106.5 from 2003 2004, in particular the promos they used. Doesn’t matter the quality, just trying to find a sample of the “floating voice” technique they used in their promo IDs.

1 Like

That’s Greg Willmette commentating there, he still does Monday morning’s & Tuesday Breakfast’s on CoastFM.

I just spoke to him about it, the call was broadcast on CoastFM & Coast Rock (now Hit/SeaFM) also took the call, the game was videotaped by a local video production company & the radio commentary added to it, he doesn’t think it was ever broadcast on TV though.

5 Likes

From TRV, an aircheck of Snowy Mountains 2XL from January 1989 (thanks @Ant5476 for the correction after a bit of investigating :slight_smile: ).

Ping: @dxer2_2000

6 Likes

Is this when 2XL changed format after the launch of Snow fm?

1 Like

Snow FM didn’t launch until February 1998.

3 Likes

From memory 2XL had a top 40 / CHR format back then, it changed formats when Snow fm launched.

4 Likes

So did 2GN from memory.

3 Likes

An interesting playlist from the sound of those few songs. The Saints, The Go-Betweens, an underplayed INXS song - I’d have loved to give that a good listen

4 Likes

Is the date on this air check correct??

3 Likes

Yeah…and you’ll seldom get an 18C day in the middle of summer in Cooma these days either! That is, if the date is correct (Jan 1990).

3 Likes

I remember getting 20 degree days here in Newcastle back then in summer, though not often. But it did happen. So not beyond the realms of possibilities me thinks.

3 Likes

The aircheck could have been either 9 Jan 1990 or 16 Jan 1990 as both were quite cool days in Cooma, before warming up on the weekend as announced:

http://www.australianweathernews.com/data/archive/70/1990_01.HTM

But both these days were well below 24C at Canberra.

6 Likes

I am 99% certain the date on this air check is wrong, 2XL was using the beat of the 90’s positioner in the early 90’s, and sounded similar to Canberra’s Kix 106. The music skewed more towards 2day fm around the mid 90’s before the change of format took place when Snow fm launched.

2 Likes

FYI - 2XL has never changed formats. Played pretty much the same stuff since the early 80s. Only now is it sounding more like a city station since converting to FM

3 Likes

Sorry wrong wording, 2XL started skewing older after the launch of Snow fm around 1998.

2 Likes

The 1270 Facebook page has a great new clip. So different back then. I wish I could back in time. I do like the sound of radio back then.

1 Like

Ok I can confirm the year of this aircheck it was Jan 1989.

Two things-
In the Macquarie news bulletin they mention six people being pulled alive from rubble from last months Armenian earthquake, this happened on the 7th December 1988.

The dj mentions a new song by the Go Betweens called Was there anything I could do. This song was released in 1988.

2XL played current songs then, but did skew much younger in the 90’s when they became the beat of the 90’s, this was early 90’s. They again skewed older when Snow fm launched around 1998.

9 Likes

Well deduced @Ant5476- forgot about the reference to the earthquake in Armenia.

Here’s a great aircheck from Wollongong’s 2OO (1979, I think, judging by the music):

Credit to Frankster/Dave Whitcomb.

8 Likes

This aircheck would have been around June or July 1979, Kool for Cats, and Bright Eyes were both released in 1979.

One of the news stories was about more cracks found in DC10 planes, and references flight 191 in May 1979. A DC10 plane crashed at Chicago Airport after one of its engines fell off on takeoff. The cause of the crash was shonky maintenance.
Great air check.

6 Likes