Radio History

let’s not be pessimistic yet. For a start, there is too much effort into what sounds like new custom 3GL jingles for that.

2 Likes

are they new jingles or just old ones that have been restored?

1 Like

a post upthread suggests new jingles alongside old ones.

1 Like

From the sample of the broadcast that i’ve heard I think they are just old ones. Classic Hits 3GL was circa 1988-89 around the same time that 3TT was doing similar.

2 Likes

That was probably me and I don’t know whether they are new jingles or old. Many of them are definitely old (e.g. “3GL on the West Coast” which I remember when I was a kid) and others from the 80’s.

1 Like

I’ve started 3GL 1341 Geelong back on the air for any further discussion on 3GL in the present.

1 Like

No need for a separate thread. It’s already being discussed at length in Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio - #1234 by tamago_otoko

1 Like

Hi everyone,

It’s Frankster here from The Frankster Archives at franksterarchives.org

I just wanted to pop in and give you guys an update as to what’s been going on. You may or may not have read what’s transpired, but if you haven’t, you may have noticed a lack of updates on the site.

Unfortunately all I have is some sad news.

My sister Vania was very unwell…she had breast cancer earlier this year (in fact she got it a month after our dog Rexy passed away)…she was having chemo in the form of tablets, and then in April she went back for follow up scans and they told her that nothing was there! So we both went about our lives the following few months and she felt fine and returned to work and such was life.

In late October she got sick again, and she was really upset at the timing of it because a few weeks before I’d secured tickets to one of the Paul McCartney gigs in Sydney and she couldn’t go. Ironically she got better a few days before.

A week went by before she was sick again, this time it was much more than that. She was running a 39 degree fever, was confused, her breathing was ragged, the whole bit. I rang an ambulance (this was on a wednesday afternoon) - she was sent to Resus once she got there. I stayed with her, but by midnight her breathing took a really bad turn, and they took her up to ICU (intensive care) - and placed on a ventilator.

She didn’t get better - in fact she continued to get worse. Friday night came and I was told they would be withdrawing her care the following morning.

Saturday came and it was then up to me to tell the medical staff as to when to pull the life support. I held her as she passed away in arms at 3.16pm on November 11th. She was only 60 and died of acute myeloid leukaemia.

I’m moving shortly because now I can no longer afford the rent on the place I’m currently staying at, and needless to say the aircheck updates on my site have fallen off the radar - the site will return in mid January once I’m settled in to the new place.

A gofundme page was set up for Vania and it’s halfway to goal and I’ve been able to take care of various expenses by it, but I could always use further help as with her gone, my entire family is gone. My dog, my dad, my mum, and now my sister is also gone. I’m it now, the last one in our family, and I’m having a really difficult time coping with this christmas thing as well knowing it’s my first one in 50 years with all of my family gone.

If you’re able to give me a hand, I just want you to know that it’s neither required nor expected of you, but it will help. The link for it is https://gofund.me/71fde45f

I hope you folks have a wonderful christmas and I’ll see you back on the site in mid January 2024.

Cheers,
Frankster

8 Likes

Sorry to hear all of that! Your site is fantastic and look forward to seeing it again soon.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought but that’s what they said in the interview I was quoting. :man_shrugging:

How many pre-1988 3UZ stuff exists that could be used for a 3UZ Rewound on 927 or their stream someday like they did in NYC with 77 WABC in the '00s?

2 Likes

Also 2UE & 4GB have time pips.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Gosh, I almost forgot…

7 Likes

What year was this?

They ditched the top rating Beautiful Music and went to a more lively music mix, probably not unlike where Smooth is today IIRC. Ratings tumbled pretty much instantly and it only lasted a few months before it got replaced with the CBC debacle with 2UE.

2 Likes

And within a few days, 3MP flipped to an easy listening format and their ratings shot up dramatically after just one survey (there four per year in those days). I can’t remember if they became the number 1 station, but it was quite a big ratings rise.

1 Like

There were many beautiful stations in the US too but the format declined during the 80’s.

Wikipedia article on Beautiful Music

Other beautiful music stations in Australia included:

2CH Sydney
5AA Adelaide

Did Brisbane and Perth have one?

1 Like

Yep.

3AK went from 10.4 (4th) in Survey 4/85, down to 3.4 (10th) in Survey 1/86.
3MP, which transitioned to Easy Listening from mid-January as it took a couple of weeks to refresh its entire music library and presentation and IIRC hiring some recently-axed 3AK names, went from 4.5 (9th) in Survey 4/85 to 10.0 (5th) in Survey 1/86.

it was only downhill for 3AK from then on, Survey 2 was 2.3, Survey 3 (the first survey as CBC) was 2.0 and Survey 4 was 2.0.

It hit a low of 1.7 in Survey 1/87 but gradually started to creep up again as it wound back the talk and moved back towards easy listening.

3MP hovered around 9s, 10s and 11s over the subsequent surveys, hitting 13.7 (equal 1st with MMM) in Survey 4/90.

4BH in Brisbane, even though it was part of the talk-based Macquarie Network, had a similar format in the 1980s.

4BH_1988

6KY in Perth had Easy Listening in the 1980s. I vaguely recall that 6KY was owned in common with 2CH by AWA, but someone might correct me on that.

6KY_1987

3 Likes

The Beautiful music format started on 4BH in the early 70s and was very similar to 2CH at the time. Here is an aircheck of when the station moved to 880 kHz from 1390 (and increased to 5kw). 4BH provided Macquarie news to many regional station across Queensland at the time.

Video also includes 2CH @2:16

2 Likes