Radio History

3TT was only around from April 1988 to June 1990, and then became TTFM from June 1990 to mid-2001. From then, it became Mix 101.1 until January 2015, when it became KIIS 101.1.

Also happening around this time 29 years ago was 2SM in Sydney becoming Lite & Easy 1269, which occurred on Monday 4th April 1988. That change sent a lot of its younger listeners over to 2MMM, which then incorporated some Top 40 music in amongst the rock that the station became well renowned for in Sydney. Other alternatives for listening to Top 40 music in Sydney include tuning to 2KA from Penrith, 2WL from Wollongong & possibly also 2NX from Newcastle, as well as 3XY from Melbourne via skywave at night until it rebranded to Easy XY by the end of the year.

On another topic, I’ve found some links that lists the ownership of each commercial radio (& TV) stations from 1993 to 2005. It really makes for some interesting reading, which dates before the era of Southern Cross Austereo, Bill Caralis or Grant Broadcasters owning almost every regional commercial radio stations in the country. You can find them here: Communications Update

3 Likes

TTFM was around for at least 10 years!

Although “TT” could have stood for “Ten Twenty-Six” (the frequency), I believe officially there is no significance in the letters “TT” although it was reported at the time that other call-signs being considered included 3MM and 3BB.

Ah yes I’d forgotten about that:

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

And this was the ad used to launch 3TT. The ad made its first appearance on the evening of Good Friday, the day before launch:

Source: oztvheritage

2 Likes

I remember Sam Galea on 2UW, his program was called Sam Galea Gold.

Apologies if you guys are already aware of this, but some interesting news for fans of the old Stereo 10 in Brisbane with an online revival of the station including plans for a 24/7 web stream http://www.stereo10.net/ (beware of auto-play jingles, though)

Source: RadioInfo

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: ABC Radio National

A former 3XY DJ was a contestant during “Hot Seat” this afternoon (Lawrie someone I think? ), and him and Eddie reminisced about the good old days when DJs like Greg Evans and Shirley Strachan ruled the roost at 1422 on the AM dial.

Though the DJ got his years wrong… He said that he hosted the "“Powermix” show on Wednesday and Sunday nights in the late 80s and early 90s playing disco hits from those years and that “it rated the 30s”.

By then, 3XY was XY Easy Rock, I think he meant to say late 70s - early 80s?

Laurie Atlas maybe? Although he didn’t join 3XY until the mid 1980s

EDIT: Actually maybe Laurie Bennett who was at 3XY in the 1970s?

It couldn’t be Laurie Bennett, he passed away many years ago.

17 April 2017 marks the 50th anniversary of the launch of talkback radio in Australia. I’m not sure which station was actually first to start with talkback on the day because heaps of stations were supposedly starting to do talkback from the same day… I suspect one station may have snuck on with some talkback at the stroke of midnight so they could claim “first”.

From NFSA here is Barry Jones, then a 3DB announcer, introducing “day 2” of talkback on his show on 18 April.

This was from a few weeks earlier, in the Listener In-TV:

An extended aircheck of 2BE Bega from 1986. This one comes courtesy of my correspondent at Cooma; he allowed me to upload it. 2BE is of course now 2EC.

2 Likes

Why is there a beeping every so often?

it’s a signal to denote to the caller that their call is being recorded/broadcast. I think it was a legal requirement imposed by the broadcasting authority.

4 Likes

A few stations still do this

Which ones?

612 ABC Brisbane for one.

In call beep, not top of the hour pips?

Radio97 used to have it whenever Leon Delaney would fill in for Lawsy. Not sure if that still happens.

1 Like

I have a radio history question. A while back on a couple of Sunday Afternoons while ferrying around a couple of relatives I’ve had 2NUR FM on my car radio. While they have on an edition of American Top 40 from the 70s.

They both made a comment saying they use to listen to it back in the day. Yet when I’ve asked them both what radio station use to carryit in Newcastle neither of them could rememeber. So when Casey does the roll calls of stations around the world that took it, the cloest station to Newcastle I’ve heard was 2GO Gosford

I used to listen to it too as a kid, I’m almost certain it was on 2KO.

I was a 2KO locked on listener during the '70’s, I moved to 2NX in '80-'81 when I was 9-10 yo.

2GO in the '70’s barely got into Gosford, & it was mostly non receivable around most of Newcastle from the transmitter site at Ourimbah, partly because of the site location, output power & directional signal, but mostly the 2NX signal killed it into Newcastle.

It wasn’t until 2GO moved the transmitter site to Chittaway Bay & changed frequency to 801kHz that it boomed into Newcastle like another local station.

Bit of additional info about 2GO history. When the TX was at Ourimbah, in many parts of the Central Coast 2GO reception was bad because of strong Heterodyne noise.
Funnily enough moving the TX to Chittaway Bay, didn’t entirely fix the poor reception into Gosford. The off air signal couldn’t be received & monitored at the studios from Chittaway Bay, so they set up an off air monitor at the TX site & sent the audio back to the studios via a phone line so they knew if they were off air.

3 Likes