Radio History

Scoping has its place; it allows you to focus on the announcing techniques. Having said that though I do prefer unscoped material.

3 Likes

Also helps TRV get around any copyright strikes that YouTube likes to impose on third party content.

4 Likes

Yes. Even if it wasn’t a copyright strike there would likely be music that would block the content in most if not all countries. Even having a small snippet of a song can lead to a block from some artists.

8 Likes

Archive dot org has a somewhat laxer policy :wink:

3 Likes

Scoping isn’t ideal, but it’s a necessary evil if you’re using YouTube to share airchecks. If you’re self-hosting or using a service such as the Internet Archive, that’s a different story.

1 Like

With 92.9 celebrating its 30th anniversary, here’s an early 92.9 logo, from August 1993:

2TTT_1993

9 Likes

In the 90s when a lot of regional areas in NSW where the incumbent AM radio station were given a supplementry FM station. Like 2PK getting Rokfm, 2CA and 2CC getting fm104. 7 and kix/mix 106.3 in Canberra etc were the stations given funding to buy new equipment or was it embraced by the industry as a whole as a way for the stations to make more money? Was there reluctance from some operators whom didn’t want to spend money?

5 Likes

If they looked over at their colleagues in television at the time, they might have realised being handed a second licence free of any threat from competition was in fact a pretty good deal.

2 Likes

Other than that they both got a 2nd licence.

And going from 2 to 4 commercial stations at once probably was a challenge to fill all the ad spots, and even more so once aggregation started.

3 Likes

Today marks 30 years since 2WS (now WSFM) in Sydney converted from AM to FM.

On 1st June 1993 at 8:10am, the station flicked the switch during the popular Hans (Torv) & Kayley (Harris) breakfast show, which had a special broadcast for the occasion. The first song to be played on FM was “Simply The Best” by Tina Turner (RIP) & Jimmy Barnes, the 1992 re-recording of her popular 1989 hit that famously promoted Rugby League at around that time.

The station simply kept the same music format, changing the wording from “Hits & Memories” to “The Best Songs Of All Time”. Its ratings had a huge jump from 8.9% on its last survey on AM to 13.8% on its first survey on FM, beating out 2MMM in the process. At that time, 2WS was a breath of fresh air on the FM band in Sydney (aside from fortuitous reception of Central Coast & Wollongong), as it offered a very different music format to that of 2Day & 2MMM, who were competing against each other for the younger audience.

Frankster has uploaded on his website a montage of the changeover from AM to FM.

Here’s a TV ad from around that time.

Credit: Steven Water

8 Likes

Aaaand YouTube happily showed me that they used the exact same advert for 2CA at the time, only substitute “AM 1053” in the car… though I guess there was a liiiitle bit more room in the playlist at 2WS than the “Goodtime Oldies” branding that 2CA and Gold 104 (as KZ FM was already, by then) had at the time…

the latter format probably would’ve been 2UW’s domain until it went Mix… kinda shows how things were a little different on Sydney FM without that extra station (TT FM) in the mix.

2 Likes

2UW branded themselves as a “Classic Hits” station, which was more similar to what 2CC was at around that time. It was only in the last few months before FM conversion that they dropped the “Classic Hits” branding as seen on the below airchecks from 1994 by The Radio Vault:

2 Likes

Great article about Take 40 Australia. In the 80s, I listened to Take 40 Australia every Saturday, then American Top 40 on Sunday night… both on Fox FM.

12 Likes

Great read! I loved Take 40 too.

I used to envy Melbourne as the only place where it was in FM stereo at the time.

I wish stations would air the old episides of it like we see these days with the old American Top 40 reruns.

7 Likes

The short lived ‘More Digital’ used to play old Barry Bissell from the early 2000s. I’d rather hear countdowns from the 80s and 90s; to my knowledge no station has aired these. It’s a matter of who has the rights I guess (and whether the archived shows even exist)!

5 Likes

4 Likes

On The ABC of… on Tuesday last week, a clip of Greig Pickhaver (aka H.G. Nelson) working as a 3RRR presenter in 1980 was shown. How long did Greig work for the station and did he have other roles there?

3 Likes

This is gold. Thanks Sportscaster91. Remember around the grounds?

4 Likes

Ah yes, Sunday afternoons when all Sunday games were on at 3pm and only one was televised and that was a Sunday night replay after the news.

And with no internet, it was the only way to find out how your team was going at the time.

3 Likes

I’ll be the first one to mention this,on this day June 30th,1 year ago today ,it was bye bye 4KQ,:disappointed_relieved:at midnight,July 1st ,SENQ 693 was born .A very sad day for a lot of Brisbane radio listeners :confused:
I’m sure they’ll be Facebook posts too from long time fans.

6 Likes