Radio History

9 Likes

That’s the 2DAY FM I remember. Fantastic sound and music.

5 Likes

I agree. They were sounding pretty damn good in this aircheck. Some really great songs in there too, most of which don’t get any airplay today.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Try ‘The Conga Line’, Braidwood FM on Fridays (5-7 PM NZ time) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might just do that :wink:

At the time of the above aircheck, 2Day came very close to toppling 2MMM off the top of the Sydney radio ratings for the first time, with only 0.2% separating the two. 2Day wouldn’t knock 2MMM off the top spot until the 1st half of the following year.

4 Likes

The Radio Vault’s being busy all night it seems. This is the coolest one I’ve seen so far.

Such high-quality audio for mono late 70s.

2 Likes

As it happens, I’m currently digitising some 2MMM audio from the same era and hope to upload that in the coming week. In fact, I think it’s from the same day as the 2Day FM upload so it’ll be interesting to compare the two.

7 Likes

From memory 2day fm came close a couple of times, in 1990 when they had a very hot CHR format, and the time of this air check.

In 1991 at the time of this air check 2day fm had just moved away from their very hot CHR format of 1990 when they mainly played dance music / up tempo pop and some hip hop. This format rated quite well to begin with but tanked.

Rod Macktasker was the interim breakfast show between Jamie Dunn and Agro, and Wendy Harmer and the Morning Crew when the station went to number one.

Musically 2day fm then sounded in between Kix 106 Canberra and the other Austereo stations that had rock formats. It was a great
music format with the voice of the late great Ray Mcgregor. Austereo when it was at it’s best!!!

5 Likes

In the first survey of 1991, 2Day had a big jump from 11.8% in the previous survey (S4/1990) to 14.9% that survey, placing only 0.9% behind 2MMM, who fell from 18.3% to 15.8%. In the 2nd survey, they rose to 15.7%, whilst 2MMM rose to 17.2%, before 2Day fell to 14.4% for the following two surveys.

No doubt “The New” 2Day FM was in response to the falling ratings that was occurring between Surveys 2 & 3 that year. Although 2MMM did fell during the same period as well, narrowing the gap of the two stations by Survey 4 before climbing up to 19% by the end of the year, way ahead of 2Day’s 12.4%.

4 Likes

Musically 2day fm did not change much in the early 90’s it was getting breakfast right. They went through two breakfast shows before they hit gold with Wendy Harmer and Peter Moon. Plus the aggressive sledging between the two stations which took its toll on Doug Mulray.
It got very nasty before Austereo purchased Triple M.

5 Likes

2DayFM should take out some recordings of The Morning Crew with Wendy and Peter. What a great show. I was listening at home when I was getting ready for work and then as I drove to work.

Wendy and Peter were two big personalities who did not get on - and it made for such good radio. It was almost like they would compete for laughs and I don’t think either of them found the other one all that funny.

Peter and Wendy. Kyle and Jackie. A very different chemistry, but chemistry nonetheless.

Breakfast radio does not work when it is randoms put together in a show. No doubt Kyle and Wendy would never work as well as Wendy and Peter or Kyle and Jackie.

2DayFM has learnt the hard way that chemistry and connection does not happen just because a team is put together and plastered over the sides of buses. Chemistry happens when various traits of two personalities converge at the same time. It can’t be faked and it is rarely forms. But when it happens - it is so frikken obvious.

6 Likes

2DAY FM was a great station back then, I remember listening to it on the car radio on a family holiday to Sydney in 1990, for some reason I have always associated 2DAY with girl group En Vogue (still played today, they are to 2DAY what AC/DC is to Triple M!) and Dave Stewart & Candy Dulfer “Lily Was Here”.

3 Likes

It’s been nice that 2CA have been including some of their old IDs as apart of the 2JAB thing. “Solid Gold Feeling, 2CA” would probably (at least to me) sound good as an ID.

1 Like

So this wasn’t far off?

6 Likes

So the Gold 1269 2SM era was when Doug Mulray was there ? I think he did drive at SM after finishing at Triple M around 1992. I remember Dougie would delight in announcing “you’re listening to Your Uncle Doug on 2SM … 12 69er”.

1 Like

Doug Mulray was at 2SM in 1997 (that weird period of time they tried a Classic Hits format based on what 2SM was twenty years earlier), but not for overly long.

1 Like

On another topic … Who remembers Ric Melbourne? Loved him on breakfast at New 2UW 1981-83. Later came back to do Ric Melbourne’s Nightbeat on UW nights. One of the most creative radio talents ever!

3 Likes

This is the era and format they need to go back to.

Copy their format and success of the 70s and do it again in 2021.

1 Like

After his stint on 2SM, he went over to 2WS to do drive the following year, where he lasted for about a year & a half. He was somewhat indirectly responsible for the station’s decline in ratings during 1998 & into 1999, in which its overall ratings fell from 10.5% in S1/1998 to 7.5% in S4/1999, as its long-time listeners found Mulray to be out of place on what has long been a laid-back Western Sydney-oriented family-friendly station compared to 2MMM & 2Day.

After Mulray departed, the station fell even further, ultimately getting down to as low as 5% overall share in S2/2000.

5 Likes