Radio History

Ratings certainly indicated that audiences liked the sole FM commercial stations as they were

3 Likes

I’ve certainly heard a bit about 4ZZZ back then too, it does sound like it was a fairly pioneering station (though obviously nothing of the ratings juggernaut that FM104 was)

4 Likes

Yes it was quite a pioneering station. Very alternative of course but still quite engaged with the community in things like the Spring Hill Fair. The station eventually had quite an acrimonious relationship with the University of Queensland and also the Bjelke-Peterson state government.

I recall hearing a lot of music from local bands like The Saints and The Go-Betweens.

They also started doing a Hot 100 countdown on New Years Day way back in the mid 1970s.

4 Likes

Is there a chance anyone has some of the ratings from the capital cities in 1980 when the new FM stations went to air?

From what I can remember 2SM and 4IP were already struggling. 2SM was trying to cope with 2WS (and in 1981 from a resurgent New 2UW). I think 4IP was up against a strong 4BK a the time.

4 Likes

Have been looking at some old u tune clips and FB sites relating to radio history. Seems to be almost nothing on the Goulburn Valleys first FM Station Sun FM. Originally 107.7 then 96.9 (now HIT) Back in its day it was a great station to listen to. Does anybody have any footage or recordings?

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Historical Metro Ratings

Initial coverage of the assassination of John F. Kennedy as heard on WCCO, a CBS Radio affiliate in Minnesota:

The rest of that afternoon’s coverage:

2 Likes

There is a hole in Nine’s ‘eulogy’ to Alan Jones.

In March 1985.

In December that year he was taken off the morning show, reduced to news commentaries during Gary O’Callaghan’s breakfast and other programs for the first half of 1986.

In June that year Jones started doing 10:00am to 11:00am during the CBC era. The format was axed in December 1986, and in 1987 Jones returned to the morning show, 8:30am to 12:00pm, with Philip Adams on breakfast. Jones moved to breakfast in 1988.

Source: SMH

8 Likes

I think Nine’s report last night described him as an “instant hit” when he started on radio. Those of us who remember the disaster that was CBC know different. Overton was at 2UE in 1985 so probably should’ve known that.

4 Likes

When was his first number one survey?

1 Like

Not sure who broadcast it on TV but coverage of the 1994 Central Coast 1st Grade Grand Final with commentary from 2CCC:

Also a video on the B105 Production Department:

4 Likes

Most likely NBN on TV.
Webstreams weren’t a thing back then of course.

1 Like

On March 30 2020, the Herald Sun in Melbourne ran a story with the headline: “3XY Radio - Melbourne Music Icon that Rocked the 70s and 80s”

I can’t access the story as it has a paywall. Is any able to read it and provide a quick summary? I love stories like these.

2 Likes

Has anyone please got any audio at all of Sydney’s Mix 106.5 from 2003 2004, in particular the promos they used. Doesn’t matter the quality, just trying to find a sample of the “floating voice” technique they used in their promo IDs.

1 Like

That’s Greg Willmette commentating there, he still does Monday morning’s & Tuesday Breakfast’s on CoastFM.

I just spoke to him about it, the call was broadcast on CoastFM & Coast Rock (now Hit/SeaFM) also took the call, the game was videotaped by a local video production company & the radio commentary added to it, he doesn’t think it was ever broadcast on TV though.

5 Likes

From TRV, an aircheck of Snowy Mountains 2XL from January 1989 (thanks @Ant5476 for the correction after a bit of investigating :slight_smile: ).

Ping: @dxer2_2000

6 Likes

Is this when 2XL changed format after the launch of Snow fm?

1 Like

Snow FM didn’t launch until February 1998.

3 Likes

From memory 2XL had a top 40 / CHR format back then, it changed formats when Snow fm launched.

4 Likes

So did 2GN from memory.

3 Likes