Radio History

Vale Allen Brandt:

The driving force of 4IP and the Color Radio Network.

Funeral: Friday 6 December, 11am, St Clement’s on the Hill Anglican Church, Eudunda Street, Stafford

1 Like

One from the 60s we have.

7 Likes

My parents actually had one of these in the kitchen & taken on travels. Their’s was white plastic though & also came in a black leather case.

3 Likes

My first radio.

Spent many nights trawling the AM band with one of these throughout the 1980s when most commercial stations still had their own programming.

13 Likes

From ‘The Radio Vault’, a 2NX ID from 1989, as received via 2NM at Napier NZ.

At that point, 2NX adopted a “Classic Hits” format after New FM had launched that year.

And an aircheck of Stereo 10 Brisbane/SEQ from March 1987.

9 Likes

1 December 1985: 3UZ makes a radical programming shift when it adopts a country music format. Largely mirroring a similar revamp that had been done at 4KQ a few years earlier (Nick Erby, who led the 4KQ change, had been recruited by 3UZ’s new owners ENT Limited to improve 3UZ’s fortunes).

Source: The Age
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tVFVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lpUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3715%2C5326108

Looking at the ratings, the change did appear to have some modest impact. A cursory glance at the ratings through 1986:

Source: McNair Anderson Assoc. Pty Ltd

By 1988 (if not earlier), the country music format was dropped as 3UZ, sold again in 1987, regained rights to horse racing from 3DB and resumed a talk/racing format.

6 Likes

Can I ask, is this the same Nick Erby formerly Country Music Radio (CMR) from Tamworth? Didn’t he used to host Saturday nights on the Super Network and then made an online station?

3 Likes

I believe so

1 Like

Gee I loved the Stereo 10 air checks. Brought back a lot of memories. Such a great vibe to the station, and the music back then just had something special.

5 Likes

I miss the 80s

5 Likes

We should never have let the 80s end.

5 Likes

Well we’ve only got to wait just over 60 years for the 80s to return, but I fear it won’t be anywhere near as good as the 1980s were, and more to the point, I’ll probably be dead by then!

6 Likes

A 2GO FM 108 news intro from 1992, courtesy of ‘The Radio Vault’.

This was the year when 2GO converted to FM from 801AM, giving themselves a level-playing field with then-rival Coast Rock FM (later Sea FM, now Hit 101.3). At that time, it was owned by Wesgo, who also owned 2WS (who were still on AM until it converted to FM on 1st June 1993), and had a “Hits & Memories” format.

Nowadays, it’s known on-air as Triple M, which it rebranded to just last month, and is owned by Southern Cross Austereo.

7 Likes

I’ve always thought that “FM108” tag sounded weird not only because it was inaccurate, but also as it was a time when most FM stations were starting to tag with the full frequency (eg. 104.9 instead of 105 as with Triple M Sydney).

2 Likes

From what I remember, 2GO kept using the “FM 108” tag until around late 1997/early 1998.

4 Likes

I wish there was a time machine that could take me back to 1987,one of the best years for music👍Radio was much better then too ,no networking,all stations being live and local 24/7

7 Likes

Like I’ve said before- be thankful you were there at all. I was only on the planet for 3.5 years of the 80s and most of that was in nappies. I did get to enjoy the last gasp of quality chart music in the early 90s, so that’s something I guess.

As for the 2080s, I think the world will be in such a state that we will have long since done away with luxuries like pop music. I am a chance to see that decade but I hope I won’t.

7 Likes

Clearly taking some creative license from their former 801 AM frequency

3 Likes

Anyone remember the name of the DJ who did the evening shift on 2GO in the mid 1990s and where he ended up? I think he was a Brit. Remember really enjoying his off beat show when I first moved to Sydney.

1 Like

Assuming you’re thinking of Graham Mack. He’s currently Program Director at Fix Radio, a station aimed at tradies on DAB in London and Manchester. He previously had stints at BRMB, Jack/Bob FM among others

4 Likes