Racing Radio

Jordan Lewis, who previously appeared on SEN, will appear every Monday morning to offer his analysis on the weekend’s AFL round.

1 Like

Dead air on the 4TAB FM 89.7 and 95.5. 1008 and DAB are ok.

3 Likes

Is 95.5 the Bundy one?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Probably the annual time for those to grumble that 4TAB wouldn’t be doing its old Good Friday music stuff… of course, now with three states and the ACT running racing.

I’m pretty sure that they give the radio staff (as per 2KY) the whole day off and it’s a straight Sky 1 simulcast as it has been in the past. The only racing within any of the jurisdictions of their radio coverage is in Tasmania and that’s hardly worth bothering.

Do they still bother with putting 4IP-ish music on DAB in Brisbane (4TAB 2) on a day like tomorrow?

Everywhere else I can think of…

TABradio in Perth probably having someone on in the late morning/afternoon given there’s local racing in WA (they generally don’t take the Sky feed, because it’s a separate entity, RWWA and all), but they’ll likely just extend the downtime into later in the morning given downtime content is just a podcast shuffle of Sports Daily [breakfast] interviews anyway.

RSN is starting breakfast an hour later at 7am, per Twitter, though given they’ve listed 7am and 8am separately it may well just be a best-of there too like they often fill a normal 5am hour with, or some other form of special show. Usual mostly-local coverage after 9…

SEN Track doing its usual Friday thing - including the regional VIC stations chopping away from 4-6, because apparently they take the Coodabeen Champions ex 3MP now… I didn’t see them do that last year, although I guess it gets it to the places where there’s not an ACE station to take it.

2 Likes

RadioTAB breakfast show ending tomorrow.

Big Sports Breakfast will run on the RadioTAB network (excluding Tasmania) weekdays from 5:30-9:00 starting Monday.

4 Likes

That’s big news.

A chance for SENQ to make some ground here - but I doubt it.

1 Like

The last show can be heard here. A few people on the socials saying they will tune to SEN.

2 Likes

It will air in Tasmania according to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield. He adds that the weekend edition of BSB will also go national.

1 Like

That can’t be true as RSN has recently started airing a Weekend Breakfast program of their own.

Terrible decision to axe the Brissie-produced radio Tab breakfast show. It had great info, banter and quality experts that helped u with your tips.

Hopefully a really good presenter like Paul Sawtell doesn’t get lost to the Brisbane sports media.

Weekend BSB was already national, wasn’t it? unless they’re axing or moving the QLD-based review show that cuts into it on RadioTAB at 9am. (Buzz’d know, he’s on the weekend edition!)

(I thought SA also opted out of the weekday breakfast show (taking SEN SA), on top of Tassie, so they could focus the 4TAB breakfast as Brisbane-centric. Did that end recently/is that ending? RadioTAB never made the schedule outside Brisbane all that public)

Given they’re already moving to rebrand other dayparts (the Racing HQ name now applies to morning shows now, eg) and now this, surely the RadioTAB name itself can’t be too far away from a replacement with the Sky Sports Radio brand… which’d be momentous for the 4TAB network if it happened even as home studios etc mean Brisbane personalities are already heard throughout the combined racing service.

1 Like

Small update for RSN: the “Carnival” branding for the digital multi-channels is gone. The streams on the RSN site now refer to them as “RSN Xtra” with a new logo.

Makes sense given the purpose of it has changed significantly (Xtra 1 now being the old “TAB Live” stream) since the format change of RSN mainline - the latter now being closer to Carnival’s format during the brief times it was used, I guess.

Not in Melb so can’t verify if DAB has changed. Hasn’t been updated on RadioApp, perhaps not surprisingly.

2 Likes

There are daily scans of Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth DAB at https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?lang=en&liste=2&live=628

4 Likes

Ta, so it has changed there too, thanks

1 Like

Took them enough time!

I remember chatting with them in Jan 2017, when they said back then they were going to change the Carnival name (and again in 2019).

2 Likes

As the station transitions out of the AFL season, Andrew Bensley will host Spring Breakfast between 6-8.30am from Monday October 9.

Contributors will include the TAB’s Jaimee Rogers – who’ll have daily updates across all the Victorian Spring Carnival racing – as well as Maree McEwan, Jemma Cutting from Inglis, Jayne Ivil and Ben Asgari from Racing.com plus plenty of Spring newsmakers.

3 Likes

Sounds like a revival of the “TAB Lounge” concept for carnival breakfast, only that it can now go on the main channel instead of on what is now Xtra 2 or something as happened in the last year or two.

The carnival (considered across the state as a whole) winds up at Ballarat on the 9th of December, which would be the perfect time for them to go into summer repeats for breakfast on the 11th if they wanted to.

Of course I also forgot that this would be the first anniversary of the original trial of “focus on the carnival/VIC racing” on the main channel (before Racing VIC and A. Bensley made it full-time early this year) and having to switch to Xtra 1/Carnival for the TAB agency audio simulcast for everything else - but that didn’t extend to breakfast last year from memory.

2 Likes

How does this breakfast show differ from the AFL season? The media release mentions the transition from AFL. I’m not from Victoria & therefore unfamiliar.

1 Like

RSN’s breakfast is normally hosted by a former AFL player/coach, and has always had a “sports” focus - so while it still has some racing content, it’s more broad appeal and essentially targets a similar audience to SEN in that timeslot.

I think most Racing stations have a similar thing with their breakfast shows, but the timing works out really well in Melbourne with the biggest races of the year for the general public all hitting in that lull between the AFL and Cricket season.

6 Likes