Q+A

Sasha Gillies-Lekakis has released a statement:

On Friday, Gillies-Lekakis, who spent a semester living and studying in communist Cuba, hit back at his critics and Grant, claiming he ‘made no direct statement sanctioning violence or conflict’.

‘I was hoping to make the point that I support Putin’s grievances regarding the breaking of the Minsk Peace Agreement by the Ukraine, and the ensuing loss of life.’

‘I find Mr Grant’s statements following my departure, and the fact that I was asked to leave the program, disappointing and unprofessional.’

But Mr Gillies-Lekakis now claims he is ‘unequivocally against war and the loss of any lives’ and argues his ‘words were misrepresented and incomplete’ because he was cut off from finishing his question.

The Spanish and Latin American Studies student from the University of Melbourne also denied allegations his question was ‘unvetted’ and ‘rogue’.

He claims to have followed all the appropriate channels, including submitting the question via the Q&A portal and finessing it at the request of production.

‘I am genuinely sorry that things took the turn they did. However, at the same time, an acknowledgement of the ABC’s questionable conduct would also be appreciated.’

I have feeling if that he was kicked on purpose just to create headlines, and to get people talking about the show, it kinda feels like it was stunt to kick him out in a bid to increase the ratings.

3 Likes

I get the feeling you are on his side. I’m not interested in his statement. He is a nobody with no credibility.

2 Likes

As I clearly said on here last night, I disagree with his point of view on the Russia-Ukraine situation, but I don’t think he should be ejected from the room because they don’t like the question asked.

1 Like

Yes he should. He is insighting violence.

2 Likes

No, you seriously think they’d set up an opportunity to do this next week as well in the hope a few extra people tuned in?

Should it have been handled sooner, sure but if there was sense of unease in the audience with him there good on Grant for doing what he did. I’d not want to share TV studio with someone like that.

1 Like

I am not sympathising with him nor that i support his view. I just think it’s a bad look for a show like Q&A - thats supposed to host debate, conversation and opinion - to throw someone out for having the wrong opinion. Already bad enough that the show in recent years basically consist of panellists (mostly from the Left) who all whistle the same tune or sing the same harmony and they put on one person who is either a Centrist or Right-Leaning and gets piled on by the panel and sometimes the host.

He isn’t the first to insight violence on Q&A. Don’t forget Mona who was a panellist back in 2019. Do you think she should’ve been kicked off too?

If the audience doesn’t like a certain opinion - ill-informed or not - voiced by either an audience member, host or panellist then tough tits or don’t go on the show. I was in the Studio Audience for one episode back in 2017, there were some opinions made that i didn’t like or agree with but i certainly wouldn’t want them chucked out because of that.

5 Likes

The tolerance of many to dissenting points of view or opinions is diminishing, and preferences are to silence them. Generally, I think this is a bad idea and contributes to people living in echo chambers - but this doesn’t apply to every situation and this is one of them.

5 Likes

I’d usually agree, opinions are what makes this show and tailback radio etc. But sometimes there’s exceptions and I think this is one even if not handled overly smoothly.

The much smarter way to do it is for the Producers to skip his question. And it would’ve been just another day at the Studios of Ultimo.

There is little doubt this is an issue of the Q&A’s making

It’s really time to look at whether the show in its current format is actually worth keeping

3 Likes

I mean, not mutually exclusive (but also yes unlikely).

2 Likes

Thursday, March 10 | Live in Sydney

This week on Q+A, join us for a thought-provoking conversation about power, politics, and progress.

We’ve assembled a powerhouse panel of advocates, trail blazers and voices from the next generation to debate ideas around gender, equality and justice. And as the conflict continues in Ukraine and Australia’s east coast grapples with wild weather, we’ll also keep a close eye on the news of the week.

Joining the panel in the lead up to the Sydney Opera House’s All About Women festival are podcaster and entrepreneur Lillian Flex Mami Ahenkan, visionary second wave feminist Wendy McCarthy and refugee advocate Najeeba Wazefadost. We’ll also be joined by the Founder and Editor of the online magazine Quillette , Claire Lehmann.

And we’ll bring you a special live music performance from singer Elly-May Barnes, who hails from one of Australia’s most musical families.

Stan Grant hosts Q+A live from Sydney on Thursday, March 10 at 8.30pm AEDT.

• Ghanaian-Australian Lillian Ahenkan (aka Flex Mami) is a podcaster and entrepreneur who has released her own furniture line and DJed for Rihanna.

• Wendy McCarthy has a long track record of advocating, campaigning and fundraising for women’s issues in public life. Her memoir Don’t Be Too Polite, Girls was published this year.

• Najeeba Wazefadost is a former refugee from Afghanistan who has graduated from B. Medical Science. She is the Founder of Global Refugee Network and the Asia Pacific Network of Refugees, and the founding member of GIRL (Global Independent Refugee Women Leaders).

• Fiona Simson has been an agricultural industry leader at both a state and federal level since 2008, and believes that agriculture is an industry of the future.

• Claire Lehmann is a writer and is the founding editor of Quillette, an online journal dedicated to long form analytical commentary which is edited in Sydney, Toronto and London.

With a live performance from Elly-May Barnes

Elly-May Barnes is a mother, daughter, sister, musician, sometimes writer and a disability advocate.

1 Like

Despite all the attention the program received last week, as far as I can tell last night’s Q and A recorded the show’s lowest audience ever - and by a long way.

As well as the low total people figure, the show has lost significantly in the 25-54 audience demo where the show ranked 47th last night.

2 Likes

They sure are flogging this dead horse. I’d be surprised if they renew Q&A for 2023 because this is now a complete dog shit of a show i’m afraid. And this is coming from someone who watched religiously from 2012 to 2020.

2 Likes

Can Leigh sales rescue this?

Agree with the above, it’s time for the ABC to pull the pin.

Put the show back on Monday nights.

4 Likes