Public Transport

Agreed, theres many tram stops that arent accessible even with low floor trams and theres also accessible tram stops served by high floor trams

Capital investment in public transport is actually a decent use of debt expenditure

7 Likes

Does anyone have the issue that their phones internet data stops working or is really slow when passing through stations on public transport?

That wouldn’t surprise me as train stations are often in a ditch or surrounded by buildings and there’d be a lot of other users in that small space that would put a significant load on the immediate spectrum / infrastructure.

1 Like

Yes Wyndham Vale on the Geelong line is like that as it’s in a ditch

I travel on Glen Waverley line to Melbourne CBD, and there is a section of the line between Richmond and Burnley (shared with Belgrave, Lilydale and Alamein lines) where the internet data is quite slow as the four tracks are surrounded by buildings.

Originally set to connect Sydney’s north-west suburbs to Bankstown via the CBD by 2024, train services may first stop short at Sydenham before the final western stage is delivered.

1 Like

I always thought they would stage the opening anyway. It makes sense. Most commuters are heading to or from the CBD. I can’t imagine many would travel the entire length of the line.

However the last section is a direct closedown and replacement for the existing heavy rail line there. Plenty of catchment there that will be impacted.

3 Likes

Today’s 10 News First Melbourne also had a feature report by Candice Wyatt on the mistreatment of people with disabilities while travelling on V/Line trains.

EDIT: part 2 of Candice’s special report.

4 Likes

Is this just a quicker train? They had trains that went through the likes of west Drayton, Ealing broadway and Acton mail line anyway.

Theres a tunnel under central London providing better access than you get now from trains terminating at Paddington, once its fully operational you can get from one side of London to the other without a transfer

2 Likes

That sounds good. I used to live out west. I caught that train a lot to Paddington. It was so quick and I used to just get a cab from the station to home (which cost around 5 pound). It was so much better than the underground.

1 Like

On my first trip to London in late 2017, I stayed at a hotel atop Westfield Stratford shopping centre in London’s east, and on my last day in the capital, I had to take two Tube trains (to Paddington) and Heathrow Express just to reach Heathrow Airport. The full operation of Elizabeth line can’t come soon enough, as it means I only need to take one train between Heathrow and Stratford.

The Sunday Age reports today the Loop will have to close for two weeks in January 2023 for the upgrade, amid a further cost blowout. The state budget listed the total cost at $468.94 million.

A bit of a dumb idea if you ask me.

People from Newcastle and Wollongong don’t want to go to Parramatta, they want to go to the Sydney CBD.

Yet another high speed rail idea that won’t get past the drawing board.

2 Likes

Possibly true, BUT if they truly make it high speed, even interchanging with the existing and planned suburban and Metro services would make it a faster trip. E.g if they can actually achieve 25 mins Parramatta ↔ Gosford and 1hr Parramatta ↔ Newcastle as stated in the article then interchanging with Metro at Epping or Parramatta to or from the Sydney CBD would still result in a substantially quicker trip than now.

Let’s hope not.