Public Transport

Herald Sun reports today that the Federal Government could announce funding for the Melbourne Airport rail link in next month’s Budget, as part of a multi-year commitment. (Sydney’s Airport Link was built by the NSW Government while Brisbane’s Airtrain was built by a consortium under the BOOT agreement with Queensland Transport) Interesting development indeed.

2 Likes

The Sydney Airport Link line was built and is operated by a private consortium.

No, the line itself was built by the state government and is operated by Sydney Trains.

Only four of the five stations (Green Square, Mascot, Domestic and International) were privately built and are privately operated. The state government has since struck a deal to remove the surcharges at Green Square and Mascot though these stations are both still privately operated.

The Victorian Government announced this morning that all night public transport in Melbourne (plus overnight V/Line coaches to Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo) on weekends would become permanent, after a 18-month trial. Great news for revellers and shift workers.
The Night Network will cost $193.2 million over the next four years.

1 Like

So Aubin Grove station is finally open on the Mandurah Line in Perth. Apparently it’s the biggest traino carpark here.

Also Ellenbrook residents still complaining about no train line yet they live in the middle of nowhere [nothing changed here].

Next traino to open is Stadium Station - which means the Perth Stadium will be completed! Can I get a yeowwww shakas

Before 6? You’re off the reservation, hombre

1 Like

Is traino some derro slang from Perth or something?

We in the sophisticated south east Queensland call them “train stations”.

hmm

6 Likes

You’re offending me, the term is bogan.

:stuck_out_tongue: We all cant’ be perfect as queenslanders :stuck_out_tongue: Perth as to be different to everybody as well because we’re “special.” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The Queensland State Budget was handed down on Tuesday and in it the Government decided to fully fund the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project while still seeking for Federal funding. However it was a mention of Brisbane Metro which raised my interest. I had a look at the Brisbane City Council’s website on the new project and I am not sure what it is. Is it a long articulated bus which looks like a tram? Or a light rail vehicle, with no pantograph on top, running on existing busway?

Buses that look like trams. http://www.exquicity.be/en/ seems to be the company making the thing closest to the image.

Was in Brisbane recently - it’s odd to see such a huge amount of buses everywhere - though it looked from the dedicated busways that they seem to do a better job of prioritising them in traffic, at least compared to the slowness of Melbourne’s trams and buses.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen traffic stopped for a turning tram that arrives at the intersection just in time for the tram light to go red.

1 Like

Definitely identified as a “rubber-tyre” solution using existing busways and new tunnels.

2 Likes

The existing South-East Busway here in Brisbane should be converted for light rail use,in peak hour buses are queuing over Victoria Bridge to and from Southbank.Should be less buses allowed into the CBD ,more feeder buses to train stations to connect with trains.

Mayhem in Melbourne tonight. Whole train system was down from a computer crash. Stations are overcrowded and people have been stuck on trains for more than an hour.
Services have only just resumed not long ago.

Metro is a disgrace.
That’s what happens when your systems still run on Windows ME :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Not entirely true.

https://twitter.com/600v_DC/status/885407096811864064

1 Like

Same happened in Brisbane for two hours last week. Australia (with maybe the exception of Sydney once it gets its metro mass transit going) is awful for public transport.

2 Likes

Insider FB Groups are saying that it was a fault with telemetry at Metrol (Fancy Control Room in the City)

The OS used now on the systems are XP with most features disabled,

MTR won the contract to run the new line throu Bankstown and IIRC it’s going to be called ‘Metro’