Public Transport

When going to the Sydney Darby of the Big Bash cricket, I rode on the light rail to Moore Park for the first time. Got there in under 10 minutes.

On the way back to Central after the match it felt like being in a sardine tin. Reminded me of being on the tube in London

3 Likes
2 Likes

Today is Swan Transit’s first day in the Joondalup area after Transdev lost the contract. This will create more full time jobs for bus drivers.

Transdev drivers were not full-time?

1 Like

I think it’s the way how Transdev does management but it was promised by Transit Systems (As Swan Transit in Perth) that it will deliver world class service and adding abit of job security to the drivers.

1 Like

Here is the article:

Similar things have happened to Melbourne’s Station Pier and Central Pier at Docklands.
If the wharves are left to rot and not fixed soon, they could cause danger to the public and interrupt ferry services as well.

2 Likes

Those ferry wharves aren’t actually more than 100 years old, surely? I thought they were renovated for the Olympics?

2 Likes

Same story for the Granite Island Causeway at Victor Harbor, SA. It’s been neglected for so long that stability is now critical and the state government is throwing millions at developing plans for a new one, much more expensive than regular maintenance.

2 Likes

And happened in the early 2000’s with the original bridge over the Murray at Murray Bridge, they found that it was close to collapse so had to close it for a couple of weeks for urgent repairs. Now they do regular maintenance and close it for a day or so every 6 months

1 Like

The cruise terminal in Fremantle operates this free shuttle service between the train/bus station and terminal using an O405NH that Transperth used to operate. The driver and the assistant seems very very friendly, especially if you want a ride around and also they do put up your favourite song on request making abit like a party bus.

3 Likes

Freo, way to go! (Do they give drunks the old heave-ho?)

1 Like

I don’t know but the majority of passengers are seniors who had taken the cruise ship.

It has been announced that North Melbourne Station will keep its current name, with the station that was going to be known as North Melbourne to be called Arden. A sensible solution I believe, as it could have become quite confusing.

6 Likes

The development around the Arden station site was always pegged to be known as Arden, so it’s quite the sensible move. Despite North Melbourne being physically located in West Melbourne, it’s catchment area is Norh Melbourne so it’s logical to remain as such.

3 Likes

I agree, Melbourne has a number of stations that bear no relation to the suburb’s name, Alamein and Upfield come to mind as well, there may be others too?

It’s not like those suburbs would have more than 1 station?

1 Like

Alamein is named after the housing development of the same name, itself a reference to the battlefield. It’s in Ashburton, which is the next station up the line (towards Camberwell/the city)

4 Likes

Premier Daniel Andrews and Prime Minister Scott Morrison are believed to be moving ahead with plans to announce the $8-$13 billion project, with sources saying a dedicated airport tunnel from the city to Sunshine is likely to be ditched.

Instead, trains would be wedged on to congested tracks between the city and Sunshine and enter the CBD via the new $11 billion Metro Tunnel. A new track between Tullamarine and Sunshine would be built.

(Lobby groups) say airport trains would clog any spare capacity in the Metro Tunnel for extra Sunbury and Melton trains, while Wyndham Vale services would also suffer.

The Rail Futures Institute estimates that by the time the Metro Tunnel opens in 2025, Melton would probably end up with just three trains an hour – or one every 20 minutes – which is no different from the current situation. This could be increased down the track to six services an hour, once the tunnel is at full capacity.

1 Like

Melton won’t be electrified in time for 2025; I can’t see them electrifying the line without adding an extra track pair for Ballarat / Bacchus Marsh V/Line trains, which the new/rebuilt stations have provision for.

If they can get 10 minute off peak trains to Watergardens, 20 min to Sunbury that’s still only 6tph (trains per hour). Add another 6 for the Airport, and maybe 3 for the short-starters at West Footscray and you’re looking at only 15tph out of a possible 26